• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted talk on science and god

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you guys are interested in how science (neuroscience) and god go together, here's a good video from Ted Talk

This is Your Brain on God | Michael Ferguson | TEDxSaltLakeCity

Can science give us insights into age-old questions about religion? In this talk, Dr. Michael Ferguson describes the study he and his team conducted on believing Mormons when they reported to "feel the Spirit," a central event in Mormon worship. What they found might surprise both believers and skeptics.

Michael Ferguson is inspired by questions about human brains and the gods they adore. His research program examines the intersections of culture and brain through the lenses of cutting-edge fMRI methods and cognitive neuroscience...

-

Enjoy

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So religion is basically a way to get on dope. To experience a very physical pleasure. It creates physiological changes in the body which are beneficial.

In my experience, yes. Religion is a process, method that been developed by cultures over many years to create an experience of pleasure.

The problem being I suspect is there are people the process doesn't work for, or it doesn't work consistently or there are negative effects that begin to outweigh the positive effects.

Right now religion is more trial and error. Works well for some, not so great for others. I could see science helping to refine the process. Eliminating the unnecessary and focusing on what is found to be successful over a broader range of people.

Imagery, music, rituals all developed to create a state of bliss in the individual.

Spirituality seeks to develop this blissful state which we may be able to measure.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Religious people will explain the findings as the brain being influenced by experience. Atheists will explain the findings as the brain being the source of experience which people misinterpret.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Religious people will explain the findings as the brain being influenced by experience. Atheists will explain the findings as the brain being the source of experience which people misinterpret.

Athiest? You know how many christians practice neuroscience and many athiest study christian theology?

How does the study of medical science and religious experience relate to disbelief in god?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So religion is basically a way to get on dope. To experience a very physical pleasure. It creates physiological changes in the body which are beneficial.

In my experience, yes. Religion is a process, method that been developed by cultures over many years to create an experience fo pleasure.

The problem being I suspect is there are people the process doesn't work for, or it doesn't work consistently or there are negative effects that begin to outweigh the positive effects.

Right now religion is more trial and error. Works well for some, not so great for others. I could see science helping to refine the process. Eliminating the unnecessary and focusing on what is found to be successful over a broader range of people.

Imagery, music, rituals all developed to create a state of bliss in the individual.

Spirituality seeks to develop this blissful state which we may be able to measure.

A bit of neuroscience, physiology, archaeology, and theology wrapped together.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Why science claims it can measure it.

But what if the self, one human was the only human yet diverse in human, so science says no x 2 humans. Male humans own different chemistry to female humans as x 2 bodies....yet they reference God as just being one.

And the human self owning all thoughts, human choice and self motivation is just the one. Yet they use the group mentality to claim peer....and peer means to pressure and force and over rule and over lord experience.

Yet when a self says I want to study to know for science, when science is just machine, and machine is taken from the body mass that he says is God the original stone body, held fusion, then you begin to realize that we see the Destroyer self in our midst....as the sort of mind that says I will find natural God in your minds/psyche and experience.

For my machine body no longer is natural God, for I transmuted its natural fusion/minerals. What his own destructive science psyche is seeking about science of God, which has nothing at all to do with any natural bio life/conscious spirituality.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Athiest? You know how many christians practice neuroscience and many athiest study christian theology?

How does the study of medical science and religious experience relate to disbelief in god?
I wrote the reverse - how atheists and believers would look at the results. That is not about the science.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
If you guys are interested in how science (neuroscience) and god go together, here's a good video from Ted Talk
There are really no mysteries here. "God" is Light in many religions and it has electromagnetic properties which corresponds with the electromagnetic atoms in humans and in this sense we are Light beings who have the inner sense of the much bigger cosmos of Light, whether we call this "God" or just light.
A REAL religious experience which of course even atheists can have :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In my experience, yes. Religion is a process, method that been developed by cultures over many years to create an experience of pleasure.

That explains well all the imagery, music, and aromatherapy associated with religions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There are really no mysteries here. "God" is Light in many religions and it has electromagnetic properties which corresponds with the electromagnetic atoms in humans and in this sense we are Light beings who have the inner sense of the much bigger cosmos of Light, whether we call this "God" or just light.
A REAL religious experience which of course even atheists can have :)

Light? It's a combination of things studied by science. Religious people do want to keep the mystery and gnostic experiences. That shouldn't depreciate their interpretation.

Bear Wild

This is Your Brain on God | Michael Ferguson | TEDxSaltLakeCity

Can science give us insights into age-old questions about religion? In this talk, Dr. Michael Ferguson describes the study he and his team conducted on believing Mormons when they reported to "feel the Spirit," a central event in Mormon worship. What they found might surprise both believers and skeptics.

Michael Ferguson is inspired by questions about human brains and the gods they adore. His research program examines the intersections of culture and brain through the lenses of cutting-edge fMRI methods and cognitive neuroscience...

-

Enjoy

Not that it is the medial prefrontal cortex which is the emotional/affective part of the brain instead of the dorsal prefrontal cortex which is the reasoning part of the prefrontal cortex. The evidence is extensive that evidence of cultural learning and show how the brain creates the "us vs them" patterns that increase to increase social connectiveness. His presentation of generosity to groups outside them is not consistent with considerable other evidence and it is unclear who the other group was. Was it other Christians or other peoples of very different beliefs.