• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technetium

King Phenomenon

If researchers knew how much 98Tc was produced and what happened to it when the super nova collapsed that began the formation of our solar system would they be able to explain how it shaped the atoms and molecules that formed humans?

All my life I've been under the impression that the evolution of life wasn't a theory. I guess I probably should've known from the term 'theory of evolution'.I guess in my mind I just thought they called it a theory because it wasn' God based or something. Ha ha. I always thought life formed from a single cell organism. I Never really gave it much thought what came before that. Where have I been? Haha. Wow!

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Supernovas are explosions. The progenitor star may collapse.

The shock waves from supernovas are thought to help trigger the collapse of the interstellar gas and dust clouds from which stars and their planetary systems form, and dust and gas from supernova make up the planets, and of course, us.

From Wikipedia: "The most stable radioactive isotopes are technetium-97 with a half-life of 4.21 million years, technetium-98 with 4.2 million years, and technetium-99 with 211,100 years.[51] Thirty other radioisotopes have been characterized with mass numbers ranging from 85 to 118.[52] Most of these have half-lives that are less than an hour, the exceptions being technetium-93 (2.73 hours), technetium-94 (4.88 hours), technetium-95 (20 hours), and technetium-96 (4.3 days)..."

So, how exactly would knowing the exact amount of Tc-98 that existed at the time that the solar nebula started to collapse help researchers in knowing how "to explain how it shaped the atoms and molecules that formed humans?" All of the Tc-98 that existed then would have been gone in a few million years...

King Phenomenon

Supernovas are explosions. The progenitor star may collapse.

The shock waves from supernovas are thought to help trigger the collapse of the interstellar gas and dust clouds from which stars and their planetary systems form, and dust and gas from supernova make up the planets, and of course, us.

From Wikipedia: "The most stable radioactive isotopes are technetium-97 with a half-life of 4.21 million years, technetium-98 with 4.2 million years, and technetium-99 with 211,100 years.[51] Thirty other radioisotopes have been characterized with mass numbers ranging from 85 to 118.[52] Most of these have half-lives that are less than an hour, the exceptions being technetium-93 (2.73 hours), technetium-94 (4.88 hours), technetium-95 (20 hours), and technetium-96 (4.3 days)..."

So, how exactly would knowing the exact amount of Tc-98 that existed at the time that the solar nebula started to collapse help researchers in knowing how "to explain how it shaped the atoms and molecules that formed humans?" All of the Tc-98 that existed then would have been gone in a few million years...
Since scientist can't create life in a lab from scratch maybe that's what they need.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
If researchers knew how much 98Tc was produced and what happened to it when the super nova collapsed that began the formation of our solar system would they be able to explain how it shaped the atoms and molecules that formed humans?
I like your use of the term 'Researchers' versus 'Scientists', although they often are the same people. I usually use the same term. For one thing 'Researcher' stresses the work going into the science. Its laborious, often resulting in no products or capital gains. A researcher cannot guarantee any kind of return on investment.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its actually irrelevant to the formation of humans which we only understand through extant evidence. I think that to do better would require physical capabilities that are unavailable. We probably will never, ever know where cells are from. Probably. Humans are clearly made of cells and evolution clearly makes use of cells, therefore cells must have come before humans. That's all, folks.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, we know that technitium had nothing to do with the formation of the atoms and molecules that form(ed) humans billions of years later.

All my life I've been under the impression that the evolution of life wasn't a theory. I guess I probably should've known from the term 'theory of evolution'. I always thought life formed from a single cell organism. Where have I been? Haha.

ALL life on Earth was single celled for the first three billion years or so that life existed here. ALL multicellular life evolved from single celled life.

But that has NOTHING to do with Technetium.

King Phenomenon

Well, we know that technitium had nothing to do with the formation of the atoms and molecules that form(ed) humans billions of years later.

ALL life on Earth was single celled for the first three billion years or so that life existed here. ALL multicellular life evolved from single celled life.

But that has NOTHING to do with Technetium.
Yeah I guess the article I read was bogus then

King Phenomenon

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah I guess the article I read was bogus then

More likely misunderstood.

Yep. You misunderstood. Supernova produce the heavier elements (like the carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen that make up our bodies). Technetium is one of those elements, but has nothing to do directly with the formation of the elements in living things. This article mentions that technetium leaves daughter elements that can be detected and which then tell us more about the conditions in the supernova.

This all happened well before the sun and planets in our solar system were formed. It was a billion years or so before the first life on Earth and about 5 billion years before humans.

But, yes, the atoms we are made of ultimately were formed in supernova. That has nothing directly to do with evolution and the atoms we are made from have nothing directly to do with technetium.

Maybe you should learn a bit more science and take the popular press with more of a grain of salt (also made from elements from that supernova)?

King Phenomenon

More likely misunderstood.

Yep. You misunderstood. Supernova produce the heavier elements (like the carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen that make up our bodies). Technetium is one of those elements, but has nothing to do directly with the formation of the elements in living things. This article mentions that technetium leaves daughter elements that can be detected and which then tell us more about the conditions in the supernova.

This all happened well before the sun and planets in our solar system were formed. It was a billion years or so before the first life on Earth and about 5 billion years before humans.

But, yes, the atoms we are made of ultimately were formed in supernova. That has nothing directly to do with evolution and the atoms we are made from have nothing directly to do with technetium.

Maybe you should learn a bit more science and take the popular press with more of a grain of salt (also made from elements from that supernova)?
I see now that those daughter elements could explain the supernova itself in more detail not the atoms themself. Well it did lead me to read about atoms and learn that scientist can explain the process of the origin of life.