• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Team Debates

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed a thread in the one-on-one debate section, which I rarely visit. But I noticed there was a section for team debates which was completely empty. No posts at all.

What sort of things could there be a team debate for? Why are there no debate teams?

Would anyone like to form a debate team?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I noticed a thread in the one-on-one debate section, which I rarely visit. But I noticed there was a section for team debates which was completely empty. No posts at all.

What sort of things could there be a team debate for? Why are there no debate teams?

That'd be one hectic thread.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That'd be one hectic thread.

Yeah, that's probably why the forum is empty. It would be similar to one-on-one, in that only the participants would be posting, but maybe 3-on-3 of the best debaters on a given topic. As an example, one side could be comprised of people who believe the earth is flat, while the other could believe the earth is banana-shaped.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, that's probably why the forum is empty. It would be similar to one-on-one, in that only the participants would be posting, but maybe 3-on-3 of the best debaters on a given topic. As an example, one side could be comprised of people who believe the earth is flat, while the other could believe the earth is banana-shaped.

Or a team of people who believe humanity descended from Kong versus a team who believe humanity descended from Godzilla. The RF edition of Godzilla vs. Kong.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I probably won't be doing it tonight, but something I thought about doing is asking members if they wanted to debate me, and to pick the subject for my consideration. Of course, that'd mean I'd have to filter out 60 percent of entries, as I couldn't defend something like the side against using soap, or advocate for the side saying everyone should skydive - it just wouldn't work for me.

Magical Wand

That would be an interesting experience. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Even in the resent Islam thread, there were more than two sides with Muslims questioning Muslims and others fighting amongst themselves.

The odds that two teams would stay two teams is about the same as the odds of Congress voting unanimously on anything of more than trivialities.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

To make it work you'd need something a little less heartfelt or a very strict set of rules. Maybe a D&D session.