• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teachings of Christ

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Posted by MidnightBlue: I haven't noticed that the teachings of very many Christian churches do. For instance, Christian positions condemning homosexuality aren't found in the teachings of Jesus. Christian teachings justifying going to war aren't found in the teachings of Jesus. The Evangelical teaching that one must accept Jesus as one's personal savior isn't found in the teachings of Jesus. The infallibility of the Pope isn't found in the teachings of Jesus.

This post from MidnightBlue got me to thinking....What are the teachings of Christ? What do you think are the most important lessons or theological ideas he was trying to get across?

What would your top 10 list of most important revelations by Christ be? Please use scripture to back up your comments.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
dan said:
Yeah, and it was taught to Paul by Jesus.
How was that? Paul NEVER met Christ when Christ was teaching. He had one short conversation with Jesus's spirit.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
From:-http://www.lifeofchrist.com/teachings/sermons/mount/default.asp

Sermon on the Mount
This is the greatest sermon Jesus ever preached. The Lord's prayer, the beatitudes, and the golden rule are in this sermon.

Where was Jesus?
Jesus delivered this sermon on a mountain near Capernaum. Tradition ascribes the site to an extinct volcano named Karne Hittim.
Jesus sat while delivering the Sermon on the Mount. Sitting connotated authority, so rabbi's often sat while teaching.

Divisions
The Sermon on the Mount is in the 5th, 6th, and 7th chapters of Matthew. You can read the entire sermon here. It's divided into 5 sections listed below:

Beatitudes - Teachings that begin with "blessed." These were meant to comfort suffering believers.

New laws - Contrasts the old law of Moses with the new law of Christ. A brief summary of Christian doctrine.

Lord's prayer - Instructions on prayer. Jesus also teaches the proper motives for fasting and offering gifts.

Money - Christian attitudes concerning the use of money. Reasons to avoid worry.

Warnings - Dangers of false teachers and hypocrisy. Jesus also presents the parable of the wise and foolish builders

What are the Beatitudes?
This section begins with the setting for the sermon on the mount, followed by the beatitudes.
The word "beatitude" is derived from the Latin "beatus," which means blessed or happy. This designation is appropriate because each teaching begins with the word "blessed."

Setting
When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying...

Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Light of the world
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

See the web site for more.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Excellent post Michel....I appreciate it.

I would just like to add the most important words that came out of Jesus Christ's mouth in my opinion. The Pharisees were testing Jesus and asked him, "Teacher, what is the greatest commandment under in the Law?" And Jesus replied:

"Love The Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40)

Do you think adhering to these two commandments makes you a follower of Christ? Or what is considered a Christian?

dan

jeffrey said:
How was that? Paul NEVER met Christ when Christ was teaching. He had one short conversation with Jesus's spirit.

Paul met the actual person of Christ, and we don't know how often He visited Paul after that. In addition, revelation has always been the method by which God's servants have received instruction. Paul received numerous revelations concerning church administration. John himself said the world could not fit the books that would be written of all of Jesus' acts. What on earth makes you think the Bible contains everything?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Well, Dan, I could also say I had a revelation from God. But the point being what Christ taught was different then what Paul taught. One must ask why? Did Christ change his mind? I don't think so. Christ taught tolerance. Paul did not. Paul got his Christianity from the other Apostles.

jonny

Mike182 said:
a quote i like is appropriate here:

"a lot of christians actually follow Paul, not jesus."

I agree - and they pick and choose which parts of Paul they want to follow, completely ignoring the context of the letters he is writing (for example, saved by grace alone...).

jonny

Buttercup said:
Do you think adhering to these two commandments makes you a follower of Christ? Or what is considered a Christian?

Depends on who you are talking to. If a Baptist is talking about a Methodist, what you listed is probably enough. If a Baptist is talking about a Mormon, they would probably throw a couple more things into the equation in order to exclude them. "Christian" is a subjective word.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Take that a step further Mike and Jonny, there are churches that ignore parts of Christ's teachings and focus on parts that Paul stated, that Christ never did.

jonny

jeffrey said:
Take that a step further Mike and Jonny, there are churches that ignore parts of Christ's teachings and focus on parts that Paul stated, that Christ never did.

I wonder why Christ didn't write anything down himself. That would clear a lot of things up. Everything we have is second hand. I guess you could argue that the 10 Commandments were first hand, but I don't think those define Christianity.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Jonny, I agree. I comes down to what you believe in your heart. I don't think there is one right answer.

Popeyesays

jonny said:
I wonder why Christ didn't write anything down himself. That would clear a lot of things up. Everything we have is second hand. I guess you could argue that the 10 Commandments were first hand, but I don't think those define Christianity.

We do not know that He did not wrrite things down - we just know that if He did, those writings do not survive. Then one must wonder why something so important might NOT survive? Answser: God willed it that way, because the Will of God cannot be thwarted.

Muhammad did not write down the Qur'an either - He recited it to others who wrote it down and memorized it.

Not until the advent of the Bab and Baha`u'llah do we have text written in the hand of the Prophet, and people will still deny it when they wish.

Regards,
Scott

jonny

Popeyesays said:
We do not know that He did not wrrite things down - we just know that if He did, those writings do not survive. Then one must wonder why something so important might NOT survive? Answser: God willed it that way, because the Will of God cannot be thwarted.

Muhammad did not write down the Qur'an either - He recited it to others who wrote it down and memorized it.

Not until the advent of the Bab and Baha`u'llah do we have text written in the hand of the Prophet, and people will still deny it when they wish.

Regards,
Scott

Joseph Smith wrote plenty. :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
jonny said:
Even an original piece of writting from one of the authors of the Bible instead of a copy of a copy of a copy of yet another copy.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
For the sake of the OP I am wanting to keep this thread to the words of Christ only and what they mean to you....Let's leave out the conjecture about anything else.

Jesus also says in John 14 6-7:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

Here he is saying that we have to believe in him to get to the Father...plain as day. Meaning his sacrifice on the cross and his teachings are the way to God. What else does he say we need to do?

jonny

John 3:5 - ...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.

Here, Christ teaches that we need to be baptized.