• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching Your Religion or Worldview

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**Please note that this is not a debate forum. Please express your views and feel free to engage others in discussion about theirs, but do not tell them they are wrong.**

Do you consider yourself to be knowledgeable enough about your own religion or worldview to teach others?

Do you wait for another to solicit your teaching, or do you set out to teach others without them asking?

In what ways do you feel you are qualified?

How do you react if another of the same or similar religion or worldview tells you that you are not qualified to teach if you do feel that you are?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Do you consider yourself to be knowledgeable enough about your own religion or worldview to teach others?
No, I don't

I would therefore never attempt to "teach" it

But I do feel equipped to answer some questions people may have about it, but teaching it is a totally different thing...

And maybe some day I will become knowledgeable enough

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes.

Do you wait for another to solicit your teaching, or do you set out to teach others without them asking?

If its relevant to the discussion I may raise the issue, otherwise I tend to wait. Having some understanding of who we're talking to is always useful to have a sense of whether or not someone is genuinely interested or not.

I am a Baha'i. All Baha'is have a sacred obligation to teach their faith to others if someone is genuinely interested. Under such circumstances teaching means conveying something of the spirit of our faith as well as the substance.

How do you react if another of the same or similar religion or worldview tells you that you are not qualified to teach if you do feel that you are?

I've never heard or experienced one Baha'i telling a fellow Baha'i they are unqualified.

atanu

Premium Member
**Please note that this is not a debate forum. Please express your views and feel free to engage others in discussion about theirs, but do not tell them they are wrong.**

I like to 'share' my understanding of Advaita and support for it from empirical data. Sometimes, I wait for others to ask me, but more often I create threads when ideas come up. I think I am competent to share but others may or may not think so. So, no big issue.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Knowledgeable enough to maybe give an answer to a question. "Teaching" isn't on the agenda!

Real world: I'd never initiate a conversation about it. I think I've been asked a question about twice in forty years. Religion ain't no big topic.

On here: I might answer a question if I felt able. I've not yet felt the urge to start a thread on said subject and doubt it's going to happen.

A little of what I've read and been told must have stuck. "Qualified" sounds scarily authoritative, or maybe that's just me.

Not really appropriate, given my comments I think.

PS
Oh ****, Vinayaka's post has reminded me I delivered a couple of adult education courses on Buddhism a long time ago, rather undermining this post! I can only say in my defence that I must have been buzzing with youthful exuberance.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yes, I'm qualified. I definitely would wait for solicitation.

I'm qualified, because I have nearly 30 years of teaching experience, and know the subject matter. I have never done any formal religion classes, just quick casual stuff like when hosting someone at our temple, or answering questions.

I think effective teachers must have 2 qualities. Firstly, they need to have a personality type that allows for effective teaching of any subject, and secondly, they should have a good working knowledge of the subject matter.

As a teacher, I'm against the lecture or preaching method, largely because it's been proven ineffective as a methodology.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't want to argue with hell-bound aduIts, who will get what they deserve. Instead, I want to forcibly detain their children, and indoctrinate them with righteousness so they maybe won't go to hell.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Somewhat, I guess.

The first, and also in various venues.

IOW, no one can shut me up. :cool:

I studied theology in college, plus I have read literally a couple of hundred theology books on different religions and denominations over the years, plus myriads of magazines and on-line sources.

It's all relative. A theologian with a ph.d. may not be impressed, but I don't view this as being some sort of contest anyway.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't want to argue with hell-bound aduIts, who will get what they deserve. Instead, I want to forcibly detain their children, and indoctrinate them with righteousness so they maybe won't go to hell.
Oh no, have you been "born again"? :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Yes I feel qualified.

Yes I wait to be solicited or we are in a conversation where a tidbit of knowledge could be helpful

Experience mostly but also study make me qualified.

Someone of my beliefs would never forcibly disagree with another's beliefs. They may phrase a question that may force you to reevaluate.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I know i am not qualified to teach Falun Gong :) only to speak about my understanding of it.
If an other Falun Gong practitioners told i was tryining to teach others Falun Gong, i would know i had done something wrong, and i would try to stop speaking about the path in that way. And be more careful to always say it is my understanding of the teaching.

I know i failed on this in the past sometimes.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I am knowledgeable about some parts and I can share information when asked. Teaching is too big an ask.
I practice and I have read and reflected a lot on the ideas. That could be a qualification I suppose.
People may have views different from mine on the practices and the ideas. That is okay.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Yes

Awkward loaded question. I would answer neither.

Sincerity of belief is the most important qualification, and just teach what is written in the writings, but nonetheless I have spent considerable time over the years to understand the Baha'i Faith, and what others believe.

Start a dialogue concerning the differences in our positions.

Vee

Premium Member
Do you consider yourself to be knowledgeable enough about your own religion or worldview to teach others? Yes, I do.

Do you wait for another to solicit your teaching, or do you set out to teach others without them asking? If I see an interest I'm happy to share what I know, if if the person is not interested I don't push.

In what ways do you feel you are qualified? I've studied a lot and I have a certain degree of knowledge, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything. Sometimes I still have to do research and once in a while I come across subjects I don't know much about.

How do you react if another of the same or similar religion or worldview tells you that you are not qualified to teach if you do feel that you are? I'll listen to the argument and analyze it to see if it's valid or if it's just someone trying to annoy me.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Please explain how that is a loaded question.

First it presents only two narrow perspective reasons why or why not someone would teach their belief. It presents in a negative perspective, and only either or situation.

There is no right nor wrong situation someone teaches their belief. It is more an individual situation and relationship issue.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
First it presents only two narrow perspective reasons why or why not someone would teach their belief. It presents in a negative perspective, and only either or situation.

There is no right nor wrong situation someone teaches their belief. It is more an individual situation and relationship issue.

I still don't see how. Either one asks to be taught or s/he does not. How are these "narrow perspective reasons"?

For what it's worth, you are the one that is bringing the concept of 'right' and 'wrong' into this. There was no insinuation that one was favorable to the other in the OP.

So please don't inject intent into something I ask when none was intended. If you feel either one is right and one is wrong, or that my question was somehow loaded, then the onus is on your to determine why you alone have come to this conclusion, methinks.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

No. I'm not a 'teacher'. I'll answer questions to the best of my ability if it seems useful but as just another learner, not a teacher. A true teacher needs spiritual attainment far above my extremely limited stage of learning.

Wait.

As someone who has read quite a bit, I know a few facts that I can quote but that's not what a true teacher does.

I don't feel I am but if someone challenged me and said I was not qualified, I'd agree.