• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching Faith

kmkemp

I have always found that it is a very interesting phenomenon that we tend to believe according to our environment. If our parents/peers were one religion (or lack thereof), we tend to follow suit. I have always thought that it takes strong belief to defy what you have been brought up to believe, particularly when that belief will cause you some amount of grief from your family/close friends.

Do you think that belief is primarily through teaching? If not, do you not make the same observation that families and close friends tend to believe similarly? If so, how do you explain it?

edit: meant to make this a poll, can I get that changed?

question: Do you, personally, hold the same faith as the household that you grew up in (or very similar)?

1) yes
2) no
3) my family had no single belief

Bishka

Veteran Member
=
question: Do you, personally, hold the same faith as the household that you grew up in (or very similar)?

Yes, both my husband and I come from LDS families. My husband's line goes back to the beginnings of the LDS Church, while my mother was a convert to the LDS Church and my great-grandfather on my fathers side converted.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I have always found that it is a very interesting phenomenon that we tend to believe according to our environment. If our parents/peers were one religion (or lack thereof), we tend to follow suit. I have always thought that it takes strong belief to defy what you have been brought up to believe, particularly when that belief will cause you some amount of grief from your family/close friends.

Do you think that belief is primarily though teaching? If not, do you not make the same observation that families and close friends tend to belief similarly? If so, how do you explain it?

1) yes
2) no
No, I do not. My family are all non-theistic humanists. I'd say my upbringing was a sure way for me to be liberal and non-theistic. I'm neither and my family is ok with it, but they have their moments where they crack their catholic jokes along with all the mantra of jokes thrown at people of faith and who aren't liberal.

Personally, I really believe that people's character, psychological state, biases, experiences, presuppositions, etc. (in short: self + experiences + how you interpret it = your political leaning and whether you will be faith based) will determine your world view on so many issues.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Do you think that belief is primarily though teaching? If not, do you not make the same observation that families and close friends tend to belief similarly? If so, how do you explain it?

1) yes
2) no
number three.
My mother is a Christian and attends a Missionary Church.
My father is a pagan of the Celtic variety.

I do not hold to either of their belief systems.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I have always found that it is a very interesting phenomenon that we tend to believe according to our environment.
Religion has been called "an accident of birth" and there is some truth to that. We all forge our own path, and the influence of the culture varies.

For the poll, count me as "no". Neither I nor my sister follow the same belief system as our parents. They are fundamentalist Christian (Southern Baptist variety), while my sister is some kind of new-age-ish theist I can't quite figure out, and I'm neither.

My parents are catholic. I am an atheist i cant say it went down too well with them they tried to raise me as a christian and it wasnt just me kicking my heals against my parents authority .
its just as time went by i evolved mentally to learn the truth of things.
I try to spread atheism where and when i can.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My father was a Presbyterian as was his family.( he died when I was very young)
My mother was not a church goer. Her father was Church of England and her mother Jewish.
I was brought up Church of England.( Mostly by nannies and church schools.)
My eldest Brother never has had anything to do with religion and my middle brother for a time was a Methodist.
I flirted with other protestant faiths(Baptist, Methodist, Congregational.) in my youth then returned to the Church of England.

JayHawes

Do you think that belief is primarily through teaching? If not, do you not make the same observation that families and close friends tend to believe similarly? If so, how do you explain it?

1) yes
2) no

I know alot of people raised in a Christiuan enviornment who are not christian and do not live a christian life. Just becuase somebody is raised in a certain religion doesn't mean that's the main one they'll beleive, although this is true the majority of the time....

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ

1) yes
2) no

1) yes. I'm so thankful for the godly parents I have:). I'm a PK. Faith has been a daily part of my life. My parents were actually discussing theological concepts with my sister and me when we were very young. My family has always encouraged me to think though and not just take them at their word when it comes to belief. So while what I believe lines up with what my parents believe, I believe it because I'm convinced it is the truth, not because my parents told me to.

Yes Man

Premium Member
My mother was born in South America and raised Roman Catholic. As for my father, he was Christian but did not belong to any specific church. Although he did show a fondness towards the Polish National Catholic Church.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

1) yes
2) no

Nope, my family is Catholic and I was raised that way. As far as I know, I'm the only pagan in my family but we don't talk much about religion, so I could be wrong.

athanasius

#1) Yes I am. I was baptized Catholic as infant and raised going to Mass and praying and believing in the blessed Trinity. I left the Church informally and flirted with protestant faiths(Southern Baptist, UCC ETC. Lutheran, Anglican). I even attended a Southern Baptist church for about 5 years with my former girlfriend and taught Vacation bible school there. Then there was a time in my life when I was more agnostic. It was upon further deep and years long of studying Scripture, especially church history, exocisms, and miracles that I came back to the Catholic faith and was convinced that it truly was Jesus Christ One true Church on earth and tried to remain faithful ever since.