• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher's Unions: Good for Education?

tomspug

Absorbant
Do we have any teachers on this forum? What are the pros and cons of the unions, because I've heard a lot of negative things about them.

A

angellous_evangellous

Do we have any teachers on this forum? What are the pros and cons of the unions, because I've heard a lot of negative things about them.

My wife is a teacher, and we love the unions. She's a member of two I think (a state and a nationwide). They protect her from stupid lawsuits and bad employers. She has access to a lawyer for questions at any time, which is fabulous. She had a boss last year that was absolutely evil, spending money illegally, mistreating staff, and etc. Her lawyer was a godsend last year and helped make a huge *positive* difference in the lives of many teachers and students. Our total cost was $35 for continual legal advice for a year, and representation in Austin. Fabulous.

tomspug

Absorbant
doppelgänger;1063817 said:
I suspect that's all you wanted to hear.
Wow. Thanks for the conversation doppelganger. Apparently, I only started a discussion thread because I only wanted to hear what I wanted to hear. Geez.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Wow. Thanks for the conversation doppelganger. Apparently, I only started a discussion thread because I only wanted to hear what I wanted to hear. Geez.

Correct. I also think it is highly probable that prior to this thread, you have selectively only given fair consideration to those things that align with an opinion on the subject that you already have.

Prove me wrong if you want . . . What is your opinion of the overall value of teachers' unions, tomspug? What advantages of teachers' unions have you explored?

tomspug

Absorbant
doppelgänger;1063835 said:
Correct. I also think it is highly probable that prior to this thread, you have selectively only given fair consideration to those things that align with an opinion on the subject that you already have.

Prove me wrong if you want . . . What is your opinion of the overall value of teachers' unions, tomspug?
You have no idea how many things I'm not allowed to say on this thread...

I DON'T have an opinion on teacher's unions yet! That's why I'm creating this thread.

doppelganger

You have no idea how many things I'm not allowed to say on this thread...

I DON'T have an opinion on teacher's unions yet! That's why I'm creating this thread.

Sorry, not buying it. Given your comment this morning about the education system producing "increasingly incompetent" kids in the same sentence that you suggest you don't want to improve it, combined with your extremist approach to Christianity, it's pretty likely, in my opinion, that you oppose all public education. I think it's very likely, in turn, that the root of that disdain is that public schools continue to successfully resist your desires to see your particular religious creeds taught to other peoples' children.

That's my opinion . . . :yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

My wife is a teacher, and we love the unions. She's a member of two I think (a state and a nationwide). They protect her from stupid lawsuits and bad employers. She has access to a lawyer for questions at any time, which is fabulous. She had a boss last year that was absolutely evil, spending money illegally, mistreating staff, and etc. Her lawyer was a godsend last year and helped make a huge *positive* difference in the lives of many teachers and students. Our total cost was $35 for continual legal advice for a year, and representation in Austin. Fabulous.

*clears throat*

doppelganger

Teachers' unions are incredibly valuable. They provide more access to power for a group whose value to our future is way out of proportion to the amount of respect they receive.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1063849 said:
Teachers' unions are incredibly valuable. They provide more access to power for a group whose value to our future is way out of proportion to the amount of respect they receive.

My wife's lawyer actually came to Ft Worth from Austin to meet with the district's super-intendent, who agreed only to talk with him under threat of lawsuit AND release of illegal activities to the media. If we had no help, a school would have an incompentent principle indefinately due to the corruption of certain officials.

tomspug

Absorbant
doppelgänger;1063843 said:
Sorry, not buying it. Given your comment this morning about the education system producing "increasingly incompetent" kids in the same sentence that you suggest you don't want to improve it, combined with your extremist approach to Christianity, it's pretty likely, in my opinion, that you oppose all public education. I think it's very likely, in turn, that the root of that disdain is that public schools continue to successfully resist your desires to see your particular religious creeds taught to other peoples' children.

That's my opinion . . . :yes:
Congratulations! You've lost all the credibility I thought you had.

tomspug

Absorbant
My wife's lawyer actually came to Ft Worth from Austin to meet with the district's super-intendent, who agreed only to talk with him under threat of lawsuit AND release of illegal activities to the media. If we had no help, a school would have an incompentent principle indefinately due to the corruption of certain officials.
Great. So it's clear then that teacher's unions are incredibly valuable. It's nice to know, because my wife is considering teaching (*glances at doppelganger*). Education is a very important issue to me too, because I'm going to have kids in a few years (maybe). Unlike what SOME people think, asking questions about teacher's unions doesn't mean I want to destroy them.

Anyways, if there are negatives to teacher's unions, what do you think they are?

doppelganger

Congratulations! You've lost all the credibility I thought you had.
I'm alright with that, tomspug. Don't you want a world in clear terms of "black and white"? What's wrong with that? I'm feeling a little pugilistic today.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Anyways, if there are negatives to teacher's unions, what do you think they are?
There's the danger of the state legislating "back to work" laws so that if your union does decide to exert any of its power in strike action, its members may end up in jail.

A

angellous_evangellous

Great. So it's clear then that teacher's unions are incredibly valuable. It's nice to know, because my wife is considering teaching (*glances at doppelganger*). Education is a very important issue to me too, because I'm going to have kids in a few years (maybe). Unlike what SOME people think, asking questions about teacher's unions doesn't mean I want to destroy them.

Possibly teachers abuse their coverage and are careless. I've heard of teachers who do something illegal and then call their union lawyer for protection. It's piddley stuff, nothing serious, but it is abuse. Most of these teachers get canned anyway, I haven't heard of a successful story like this.

doppelganger

Unions provide muscle to support individuals in disputes over benefits, provide job security in a world where the tides of politics sweep all sorts of flotsam and jetsam into a school system's administration, and (with limited success) keep the issue of how we value and pay teachers in the public's attention, among other things.

tomspug

Absorbant
Okay, so what about the children? Do teacher's unions do anything to ensure quality education for students?

doppelganger

Okay, so what about the children? Do teacher's unions do anything to ensure quality education for students?

Yes. Right now NEA is working hard to get Bush to reevaluate the failed "No Child Left Behind" program, which was a bad idea from the start. They are also very active in rebuilding support and funding for music and other arts, and improving special education services. Aside from that, they create a more beneficial environment for teachers, which adds up to significant benefits for the students as well, in the form of better teachers, staying in the profession longer, and doing so with more passion.

My father raised six children on a teacher's salary. When I was eight years old he was a local leader of a teacher's strike that lasted 4 months. We got by on almost nothing (including a big Christmas, which was a big deal in my family). But the gains he and his fellow teachers won in that sacrifice helped teachers and their families for the next decade.