• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

teachers and guns

should teachers be armed?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted yes, but I don't favor all teachers being armed.
It should be limited to those who want to & are trained to handle the responsibility.
I refused to carry arms for my country, & teachers should have the right to do the same.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Should some teachers be armed?

Only if you think putting more guns within the reach of kids' hands is somehow a good idea. Personally, I think it sounds like a recipe for disaster which would be far more likely to result in more deaths, rather than prevent them.

HonestJoe

I'm not convinced the risk of the kind of incident armed teachers might mitigate is outweighed by the risks of introducing guns in to the school environment in the hands of amateurs with limited training and experience. It strikes me as a political "Something must be done!" response.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I voted yes, but I don't favor all teachers being armed.
It should be limited to those who want to & are trained to handle the responsibility.
I refused to carry arms for my country, & teachers should have the right to do the same.

This.

esmith

Veteran Member
As long as they attend a comprehensive classroom instructional course followed by actual hands-on training with re-qualification yearly I see no problem with the concept.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Why do (or should) the current laws matter in a poll about how people feel?

Because it nullified any specific argument about the specific group owning guns. It fails to address why teachers specifically should or should not have guns and attempts to answer a completely different question- whether people in general should or should not own guns.

freethinker44

I think schools should have a couple tons of explosives in each classroom with a dead man's switch given to the teachers. That way, if the school is threatened in any way, we can kill the perpetrator before they have a chance to kill anyone else. Or better yet, their dead man's switch could somehow be linked to all the worlds nuclear weapons and trigger a launch to random places around the world whenever someone attempts a mass school shooting. In fact, we should just do that right now as a preemptive strike against crazy people trying to kill our kids. The answer is always more guns.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As one who taught for 36 years, there are some staff I would never trust with a gun in or out of the classroom.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No. The risk of a teacher shooting an innocent student is just too great. We already have a problem with "stand your ground" laws that really do nothing more than let "white-people-kill-black-people-and-get-away-with-it," we don't need to add to the tension of an overworked and overstressed inner city school teacher shooting a difficult student. Or even a country school teacher who overestimates the threat and shoots an unarmed student. Police mess up enough as it, and they are trained for such a thing. Teachers are schooled to teach, not trained to make split second decisions about life-and-death.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And if it becomes necessary to arm teachers, that is not a solution but just putting a band-aid over a wound that has severed an artery and is gushing blood. Rather than arming teachers, the goal should be to focus on eliminating the violence before it starts, not using more violence to end violence, which will often times beget more violence. And not too mention "using violence to end violence" is probably one of the worst philosophies ever, save for the very few extreme positions that warrant violence-for-violence. In this case, arming teachers is a terrible idea as if you are arming teachers clearly there is another problem that must be addressed and fixed.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
No. The risk of a teacher shooting an innocent student is just too great. We already have a problem with "stand your ground" laws that really do nothing more than let "white-people-kill-black-people-and-get-away-with-it," we don't need to add to the tension of an overworked and overstressed inner city school teacher shooting a difficult student. Or even a country school teacher who overestimates the threat and shoots an unarmed student. Police mess up enough as it, and they are trained for such a thing. Teachers are schooled to teach, not trained to make split second decisions about life-and-death.

Well besides the needless racial tension you introduce into stand your ground laws, I do think you bring up a valid point. In our history we have documented evidence of police shooting unarmed civilians because they thought they had weapons. Allowing teachers to carry weapons would introduce a similar liability.

As far as creating a danger of some school teacher becoming mentally unhinged, that possibility already exists as school teachers can own guns. But perhaps it does introduce a higher likelihood of murder as a crime of passion.

Further there is also the liability of someone beyond the teacher getting their hands on the gun.

Yet, I wonder how many opposed to the notion support or at least okay with the concept of armed air marshals (sp?).