• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea and Coffee??

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm not 100% sure, but in my opinion they would probably be a no-no. I don't know of any Mormon who drinks them. My guess is that if somebody was a practicing Mormon, he wouldn't drink beer at all. Period. If he was a "Mormon of record" (baptized but no longer practicing), he'd probably go for the real thing if he wanted a beer at all.

I know several card carrying members who drink "non-alcoholic" beers. They are either converts or went through a period of drinking. Many of them happen to be current or former military.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know several card carrying members who drink "non-alcoholic" beers. They are either converts or went through a period of drinking. Many of them happen to be current or former military.
Really? Okay, well, I stand corrected.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yikes! Don't say that. Now I feel even more guilty than I already did!
If it makes you feel better, I drink a fair bit more than 3 glasses a year. And I don't even consider myself a wine drinker. :D

BTW - thank you (and thanks to everyone else who responded) for putting up with my nit-picky questions.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Wow Katzpur, I am really shocked and disappointed about the wine you say you drink. You are better than that. Especially with all of your criticisms of the church leadership. It seems that what you are saying is:" It's ok to 'treat yourself' to things that the Lord has said we should not partake of as long as It is a special occasion."

That is just really a bad example of the way we should be conducting our lives. saying this (emphasis on the highlighted):
Clearly, my three glasses of wine a year (on my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas) are absolute no-no's. On the other hand, maybe I'll score a few points for my absolute abhorance of tea and coffee.
is not better than Catholics who say "It's OK for me to do bad things as long as I go to confession the following week"

it also reminds me of this scripture.
2nd Nephi 28
7 Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: aEat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.8 And there shall also be many which shall say: aEat, drink, and be bmerry; nevertheless, fear God—he will cjustify in committing a little dsin; yea, elie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a fpit for thy neighbor; there is gno harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Wow Katzpur, I am really shocked and disappointed about the wine you say you drink. You are better than that. Especially with all of your criticisms of the church leadership. It seems that what you are saying is:" It's ok to 'treat yourself' to things that the Lord has said we should not partake of as long as It is a special occasion."

That is just really a bad example of the way we should be conducting our lives. saying this (emphasis on the highlighted):
is not better than Catholics who say "It's OK for me to do bad things as long as I go to confession the following week"

2nd Nephi 28
Whatever. We all have our faults, you included. You flatter yourself if you think I give a damn about what you think of me. God gave Joseph Smith the Word of Wisdom "not by commandment or constraint" but as good sound advice as to how to care for our bodies. I actually take very good care of mine. I may not live by the letter of the law, but I certainly do live by the spirit of the law.

By the way, when I finally took you off "ignore" it was on the condition that you not fall back into your nasty habit of constantly passing judgment on me. Consider yourself back on ignore. Say what you want about me, the only way I'll see it is if someone else quotes you. There will be no more second chances.

Last edited:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
That's really sad. We have been cautioned to avoid even the appearance of evil. doesn't matter what we have done in our lives, through the gospel our natures can be changed. Past behaviors do not justify doing something "like unto it."

Watchmen

Premium Member

2nd Nephi 28

Wow madhatter, I am really shocked and disappointed at how judgmental you are of others. Don't you know the scriptures teach judge not that ye be no judged??? You're a really bad example of the way we should be conducting our lives.

Watchmen

Premium Member
That's really sad. We have been cautioned to avoid even the appearance of evil. doesn't matter what we have done in our lives, through the gospel our natures can be changed. Past behaviors do not justify doing something "like unto it."

What part is sad? That they are worthy priesthood holders with temple recommends?

sniper762

i have yet to see the op addressed.

yes, the word of wisdom does forbid tea and coffee, but their cafene content cannot be the reason that it was forbidden, (there is decafenated tea and coffee, non-harmful to the body). modern knowledge would be applied by the church to repeal it to meet modern times, just like polygamy.

i was told by an lds (branch pressident) that they were restricted in the early days of the church, thus revealed as word of wisdom because of the fear of the ease of "hot drinks" to be poisoned, (due to the then society's opposition to the church and their desire to irradecate them).

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
i have yet to see the op addressed.
The OP was addressed a number of posts back (several times, as a matter of fact).

yes, the word of wisdom does forbid tea and coffee, but their cafene content cannot be the reason that it was forbidden, (there is decafenated tea and coffee, non-harmful to the body). modern knowledge would be applied by the church to repeal it to meet modern times, just like polygamy.
This comparison really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Tea and coffee are no more healthy now than they were 170 years ago.

i was told by an lds (branch pressident) that they were restricted in the early days of the church, thus revealed as word of wisdom because of the fear of the ease of "hot drinks" to be poisoned, (due to the then society's opposition to the church and their desire to irradecate them).
I think you heard wrong. It was the wine that was to be used for the Sacrament that had been poisoned by some of the enemies of the Church. That's when Joseph Smith received the revelation to use water instead of wine.

sniper762

you say Tea and coffee are no more healthy now than they were 170 years ago.

most of this thread speaks of cafene consumption being "bad for the body" and the reason for its forbidence.

decafenated now. no more healthier?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
you say Tea and coffee are no more healthy now than they were 170 years ago.

most of this thread speaks of cafene consumption being "bad for the body" and the reason for its forbidence.

decafenated now. no more healthier?
Healthier? Maybe. Healthy? No.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Wow, madhatter. You are a piece of work. I actually think it's awesome that Katz drinks a wine every now and then :yes:. Didn't Jesus say something about what goes into a man/woman doesn't defile them?

Joseph Smith was known to have "a wine every now and then". Do you also criticize him in the same way you do to Katz?

Lighten up a little, dude. :cool:

sniper762

well educate me. what is about decafenated tea and coffee?( herbs of the field) that is UNHEALTHY? green tea is known to be HEALTHY correct?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Wow, madhatter. You are a piece of work. I actually think it's awesome that Katz drinks a wine every now and then :yes:. Didn't Jesus say something about what goes into a man/woman doesn't defile them?

Joseph Smith was known to have "a wine every now and then". Do you also criticize him in the same way you do to Katz?

Lighten up a little, dude. :cool:

Thanks for proving 2nd Nephi's point.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Thanks for proving 2nd Nephi's point.
Thanks for ignoring my questions.

Didn't Jesus say something about what goes into a man/woman doesn't defile them?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
well educate me. what is about decafenated tea and coffee?( herbs of the field) that is UNHEALTHY? green tea is known to be HEALTHY correct?
It's all covered in this post. I hope you're not trying to turn this into a debate, because the Word of Wisdom is what it is. What you think it should be is immaterial.

sniper762

Note op
I have had a lot of questions on why we do not drink tea and coffee and apart from "Because it is in the word of wisdom", I don't know what the reasoning behind it is. As I am not fussed about tea and coffee - like many other people seem to be - I never questioned it.

Therefore what is the reasoning behind it? so I can give a better answer to those who ask?

kat, dont get intimidated because you cant answer this question. (neither can the majority of the lds) i dont think that the op does not adhere to the wow, nor is trying to belittle it. the question is warrented and asked by many perspective converts including myself.

so far this thread has NOT answered the question. i DO believe that the purpose of this forum IS debate.