• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea and Coffee??

Worshipper

I had never even thought about mouthwashes having alcohol in them - but surely you are supposed to spit mouthwashes out? :shrug: It certainly is interesting though! :D
I'm with you there!

I think they're concerned about the alcohol content in the residual mouthwash after they've spat most of it out. When I use mouthwash, I always end up swallowing a (super)tiny bit. I think they want to try to make sure that the tiny bit they swallow is alcohol-free.

Yet they love their oranges! :D

Dream Angel

Sorry guys I have another question relating to coffee. I was on my diet forums and I came across an inactive LDS member who was talking about Barleycup being allowed and something else, which I cant remember the name of now, began with C? Are these still allowed? Also could someone explain to me about coffee essence, as apparently that's OK? If so, how do you tell if its coffee essence or coffee?

misanthropic_clown

Sorry guys I have another question relating to coffee. I was on my diet forums and I came across an inactive LDS member who was talking about Barleycup being allowed and something else, which I cant remember the name of now, began with C? Are these still allowed? Also could someone explain to me about coffee essence, as apparently that's OK? If so, how do you tell if its coffee essence or coffee?

Caro? I know my dad and grandma love the stuff, and to my knowledge it is considered to be fine by the church. I personally can't stand the smell of it, so I have never tried it. Essentially, the most defining barrier for most people seems to be simply one of caffeine content. My ex-neighbours used to drink decaf coffee and were never reprimanded for it in my knowledge.

I think that many people get a little over zealous in keeping the word of wisdom to the extent of alcohol free mouthwash and so on. Whilst I respect the fact they are doing so to try and better fulfill the commandments, I personally am not quite so thorough. Alcohol used in cooking is fine in my point of view because alcohol evaporates quite readily at cooking temperatures. I drink Coke - not much, but I won't avoid it if offered.

These more vague issues boil down to personal interpretation of how strictly we wish to follow the WoW. I do not think that Coke (though, granted, in moderation), alcohol based mouthwash, decaf coffee or alcohol in cooking go against the spirit of the word of wisdom. Some people do.

Dream Angel

It is interesting.

Maybe I should ask my Bishop about decaff coffee. I dont normally drink coffee at all, but it would help with this diet I am on, so if decaff is acceptable.....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was on my diet forums and I came across an inactive LDS member who was talking about Barleycup being allowed and something else, which I cant remember the name of now, began with C? Are these still allowed?
You weren't thinking of chicory by any chance, were you (also called "coffeeweed", apparently)? It's an herb that's used in caffeine-free "coffee substitutes" like Caf-Lib.

I don't know the LDS Church's stance on it, but I know some people who drink it as a caffeine-free substitute for coffee.

FFH

Veteran Member
Do you think the Word of Wisdom will ever be changed officially by the Church to "fit in" better with Modern Society ie the fact that Coke and Energy drinks have caffeine in them? I do get asked a lot at work about decaffeinated tea and coffee.
The Word of Wisdom is clear enough if you read it, it talks about the importance of eating wholesome (whole) foods, which Coke is not. It's not a wholesome or a healthy drink and neither are any of the "energy" drinks.

Pineapple juice is a wholesome drink, Sprite is not.

The Word of Wisdom applies to these types of drinks if you really read it.

Why else would Coke not be sold on BYU (church owned college) campus ??? or at least last time I was there I didn't see any Coke.

It's just common sense.

Forget about the caffeine, the malic acid in Coke olone will destroy your body.

Cancer has more of a chance to take root and spread throughout the body, when the body is not fed REAL foods. Coke is not a REAL whole/wholesome food, it's man made.

Same goes for margarine, Crisco, sugar, white bread, etc. These are all refined and/or altered foods.

Twinkies, donuts, sodas, etc. would not be part of a diet of a person who had really read, pondered and really understood the Word of Wisdom.

Yet eating these things will not keep you from getting a temple recommend of course, otherwise I would avoid them altogether as well, but I don't, but I do limit these things as much as possible and try and replace them with healthier foods.

I work at a pizza place so I eat plenty of stuff that is not good for me so I need to supplement that with healthy foods, as much as possible, in order to not get sick and die before my time.

My granfather on my mother's side died at 48, I'm 42, and my grandfather on my father's side died at 65.

My father is 69, so he's beaten the odds against him and my mother is 62. My father nearly died though a few years back. He actually did die, but they revived him. He was in an accident and almost did not survive, they found out during this accident that he has prostate cancer and a gall bladder that is shot.. He drank Coke most of his life, lots of it, he doesn't anymore, he tries to eat healthy and he's looking much better, last time I saw him.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Barlycup may be the same thing as Pero, which is a Barley drink, which is very good with a little honey and milk, very very good.

Whenever my wife makes some I take a little milk and honey and blend it up in the blender and drink it warm, not hot, just because I don't like it hot, but it has a great flavor. Barley drinks are called "mild drinks" in the Word of Wisdom and are very healthy, so are wheat drinks, I've made some awesome hot/warm wheat drinks with honey.

Just cooks some whole wheat in a little water and then drain the water into a cup and drink it with honey, it tastes great. They do this in Japan, it's called mugicha (mugi is wheat and cha is tea).

This article says mugi is barley, but it's really wheat, not barley, but they are very similar grains.

Mugicha (barley tea) is the flavor of summer in Japan | Just Hungry

Roasted barley tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D&C 89: 17
Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, Dream Angel. I just thought I'd post the material I gathered for a lesson I gave in Relief Society on the Word of Wisdom a few years back. It may be more information than you're actually looking for. If so, just stop reading. :D

Part 1 of 2:

Most people outside of the Church (except maybe in Utah) don’t know what the Word of Wisdom is when they hear us refer to it by that name. But, the doctrine is probably the one of the first, if not the first thing that comes to mind when they are asked, “What do you know about the Mormons?” “Oh, they don’t drink or smoke. They don’t even drink coffee or tea. They’re really weird!” Now, I’m exaggerating to some extent, but I think that, much of the time, we who are members of the Church tend to define the righteous and the unrighteous among us according to who does and who does not obey the Word of Wisdom. I think this is sad. And every time I hear a lesson or a talk on the Word of Wisdom, I can’t help but think about the prospective and especially the less active members of the Church who may be staying away because they know what some of us think about people who “smell like tobacco.” Without trying to minimize the importance of this commandment, I would like to ask that you keep in mind just one thing as we talk about the Word of Wisdom today. That one thing was very well expressed by Elder Bruce R. McConkie, when he said, “It should be understood that the Word of Wisdom is not the gospel, and the gospel is not the Word of Wisdom.”

The Word of Wisdom was given by revelation and has proven itself to be an inspired law. It is divided into four rather distinct parts. Let’s start by reading verses 1 through 3. These three verses were originally written by the Prophet Joseph Smith as an inspired introduction to the actual revelation.

(1) A word of wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion – (2) To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days – (3) Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

For whom was this revelation given? It was given for all the Saints – and for their benefit, not for their detriment, not as a punishment or to make their lives miserable. It was given not as “the word of wisdom” but as “a word of wisdom,” God having given us many words of wisdom over time. What do we mean by wisdom? Understanding, knowledge, insight, good judgment. Interestingly, and a lot of people pick up on this – it was not initially given as a commandment.

I can remember several years ago, hearing a conversation between Matt and James. Matt said, “James, how would you like to do your old dad a favor and go out and rake the leaves in the front yard?” James answered, “Dad, if you want me to rake the leaves, just tell me to rake the leaves and I’ll do it. Don’t ask me if I’d like to.” Unfortunately, some people need to be told, “Do this. I command you.” A suggestion – a word of wisdom, a word of understanding, knowledge, insight, and good judgment from none other than God doesn’t seem to be good enough. In speaking of people who attempt to justify not keeping the Word of Wisdom by saying that it was not given as a commandment, Heber J. Grant said, “When the Lord shows forth his order and his will, do not try to sing lullabies to your conscience…”

Joseph Smith said that the Word of Wisdom was “adapted to the capacity of the weakest of all who are or can be called saints.” What do you think about that? Obviously, if we’re talking about never smoking that first cigarette or never taking that first drink, what he said was undoubtedly true. It doesn’t take a lot of willpower to never develop a bad habit. But good people do develop bad habits, and bad habits do turn into addictions and addictions can be incredibly difficult to break, even for someone who is a good person and who is otherwise would be a strong Latter-day Saint. We’ll talk more about that later. Okay, let’s go on to the second part of the Word of Wisdom – verses 4 through 9. Notice, these begin “Thus sayeth the Lord…”

(4) Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation – (5) That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him. (6) And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make. (7) And, again strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies. (8) And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill. (9) And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.”

Okay, these verses can be described as outlining the “thou shalt nots.” What are we not to take into our bodies? Strong drinks, tobacco and hot drinks. Nobody seems to have a very hard time knowing exactly what the Lord meant by “strong drinks” and “tobacco.” Over the years, the words “hot drinks” have stirred up some debate. And I’m not sure that we could solve the dilemma during the next twenty minutes if we were to try – which we’re not. Coffee and tea were the “hot drinks” of Joseph Smith’s day and Joseph Smith himself said that these were what the Lord meant by “hot drinks.” But why coffee and tea? Was it because they contain caffeine? Maybe. Maybe not. What about hot chocolate? What about decaffeinated coffee? What about caffeine-free Coke products. What about Diet Coke with caffeine? There really aren’t any absolute answers when it comes to these questions.

I think that the Word of Wisdom is a perfect example of where it’s important that we observe the spirit of the law even more precisely than the letter of the law. What does the Word of Wisdom have to say about marijuana, cocaine or methanphetamines? What does it have to say about addictive prescription drugs? Does it even mention over-eating? Obviously, there are a lot of things that aren’t good for our bodies, and we need to use our own God-given wisdom to avoid them. But, a good rule of thumb was expressed by Heber J. Grant, who said, “The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself.” And that really says it all.

Before we go on to the next few verses, let’s just take a minute to talk about the Word of Wisdom as prophesy. Joseph Smith never said, “And I prophesy that by the middle of the next century, tobacco will be proven to be harmful to the human body.” And yet, verse 4 speaks of “of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days.” Look at the tobacco industry as a prime example. How long was smoking encouraged as a healthy habit? It was not only considered glamorous, but relaxing to the body. And nobody in the industry knew the truth? Yeah, right. Whenever I am asked if any of Joseph Smith’s prophesies were actually fulfilled, the Word of Wisdom immediately comes to mind. For Joseph Smith to have stated in 1833 that tobacco was bad for the human body and for this fact not to have been commonly recognized until some 135 years later is truly compelling evidence that we are led by a prophet of God.

In the early days of the Church, a great many members did not actually abstain entirely from alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea. They often continued to use them in moderation – particularly to combat pain, fatigue and depression. This is understandable. They didn’t have the medications we have today. They used what worked for them. Besides, these people – all of them – had grown up in a cultural environment where these substances were generally accepted for both medicinal and social use. The Lord, in His mercy – and I see it as an act of genuine mercy – did not give the Word of Wisdom as a commandment to this first generation of Latter-day Saints, many of whom were already addicted to these substances. Instead, He gave them a law that “line upon line, precept upon precept” they could incorporate into their lives and encourage their posterity to obey.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Part 2 of 2:

It was not until fifty years later that the Lord revealed to John Taylor that from that time forth, the Word of Wisdom was to be considered a commandment and not until 1919, at which time Heber J. Grant was the President of the Church, and 86 years after the revelation was first given to Joseph Smith, that obedience to the Word of Wisdom was made a prerequisite for receiving a temple recommend. The Lord allowed the early saints to collectively adapt their habits over time, rather than condemning them for their inability to rise above their additions overnight. Let’s go on to verses 10 through 17, which describe the “thou shalts.”

(10) And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man – (11) Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving. (12) Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly; (13) And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine. (14) All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth; (15) And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger. (16) All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground – (17) Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

How often do we stop to think about these verses? When someone asks you about the Word of Wisdom, do you even mention this part of the law? The Lord spent more time telling us what we should take into our bodies than He did telling us what we shouldn’t take into our bodies! First of all, He told us to use herbs, which should be understood to mean essentially vegetables and healthy plants, and fruits “in the season thereof.” What does that mean? Why did He add “in the season thereof”? Should we throw out our bottled peaches? Of course not. When the Word of Wisdom was first given, wine, brandy and whiskey were used extensively to preserve fruits for the winter. That was a great way of getting your recommended daily requirement of alcohol! Obviously, we need to keep in mind that, had the Word of Wisdom been revealed to President Hinckley instead of Joseph Smith, this particular phrase would more than likely have not been included. That would also be the case with the instruction to use meat only in the winter. The Word of Wisdom tells us to use meat “sparingly.” Does that mean that He would prefer that we not eat it at all? No. If the Lord had meant for us to not eat meat at all, He would have said, “Meat isn’t good for you,” just like He said, “Tobacco’s not good for you.” Again, we need to understand that, during the 1800s, meat was used as a staple. It was literally considered to be the staff of life. The Word of Wisdom was the Lord’s way of reminding the members of the Church that He has intended that whole grains, as opposed to meat, be the primary source of human sustenance. What does the medical community today recommend as a good, healthy diet? Isn’t it a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains and low in red meat? Gosh, what a coincidence! Let’s finish up with verses 18 through 21:

(18) And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; (19) And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; (20) And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint. (21) And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

This is the promise. What does it mean? Is God promising us that if we never take a drink of alcohol or smoke a cigarette we will never have any health problems? We can go to the gym five days a week, eat three healthy meals a day, watch our weight, and get plenty of fresh air and rest and we could still die of a heart attack, a stroke or cancer. So does that mean that God only keeps His promise some of the time? No. It means that when we keep the Word of Wisdom, we will receive blessings of health that we would not be able to receive if we did not obey this law.

Heber J. Grant, for instance, was once hospitalized because his appendix had ruptured. Nine doctors examined him. Eight insisted that the infection would kill him. Heber told the nurse that he was not interested in their opinions. He wanted to speak only with the ninth doctor, the only one who said that he would pull through. The reason this doctor gave Heber for his optimism was that, during the nearly two-hour surgery, Heber’s heart never missed a beat. His pulse was a strong as could be and, aside from the problems stemming directly from the ruptured appendix, he was in excellent health and would be able to fight off the infection.

I don’t know whether I’m alone in finding statistical data on the Church interesting, but I do. And so I’m going to share with you a little bit of information that struck me as being significant, to say the least. According to a study done in 1998 at the UCLA medical school by a non-member of the Church (and I’m sure there have been even more recent studies that I am not aware of), LDS people have a much lower mortality rate than other Americans for all cancers and all cardiovascular diseases. Members of the Church have already achieved the 50% reduction in cancer that is the goal of the American Cancer Society. The LDS male population studied had a life expectancy of 85 years, a full eleven years more than the average American male. The LDS female population’s life expectancy was eight years higher than that of the average American woman.

We know that we’re healthier than most people, but what about finding wisdom and great treasures of knowledge? How does obedience to a health code guarantee that we’ll be mentally, emotionally and spiritually better off than if we were to disregard it? There is, of course, something to be said for obedience. As with all of God’s commandments, we can expect to grow closer to Him when we obey Him than when we don’t. We can expect Him to bless us when we do as He tells us to do. I think that’s also the case, even though it may be more difficult to prove statistically than the fact that we are a physically healthy people. Heber J. Grant said that “No man who breaks the Word of Wisdom can gain the same amount of knowledge and intelligence in this world as the man who obeys that law. I don’t care who he is or where he comes from, his mind will not be as clear, and he cannot advance as far and as rapidly as he would if he obeyed the Word of Wisdom.”

I read one commentary on the Word of Wisdom that explained that the phrase, “shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint” may very well refer to our spiritual energy, that is how we are able to withstand the spiritual struggles of this mortal life. If this is the case, and I think it may very well be, obedience to the Word of Wisdom promises us something even more important than physical health – and that is spiritual health. In other words, we will be spared at the last day, the destroying angel will pass us by, not because we are healthy, but because we are saints.

The Word of Wisdom is a blessing, as are all of the “words of wisdom” our Father in Heaven has given us throughout history. He has counseled us, through His prophets, as to how we can protect our minds and bodies. I believe that if we take this counsel to heart, we will, in fact, receive His promised blessings.

FFH

Veteran Member
The Word of Wisdom is so much more than just avoiding coffee, tea and tobacco, it's a shame most don't even take a second look the simple hidden gems of wisdom it teaches us so that we can live a more healthy lifestyle.

The Word of Wisdom, for example, speaks of "wholesome herbs" (an herb would include all perennial plant foods, such as grains, oats, corn, etc). "Herb" as stated in the Word of Wisdom is not referring to herbs as we use the term today, but is referring to all perennial plant foods, meaning those plant foods that need to be sown/planted on a yearly basis, this includes ALL grains.

The Word of Wisdom urges us to eat "wholesome herbs," which are WHOLE GRAINS, as we would refer to them today in our modern day society, which are the "staff of life".

Ever wonder why General Mills suddenly started using and promoting "whole grains" on their cereal boxes ??? Because the refined grains they were using before are simply not healthy and can actually cause cancer, because they are so taxing on the body and more specifically the digestive system.

Colon cancer is a result of undigested foods, such as white flour and all other unhealthy or unwholesome or unwhole foods, which are refined and/or man made or altered.

There is so much more to the Word of Wisdom than just avoiding a Coke.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
D&C 89: 10
And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

Wholesome (whole)
Herbs (perennial plant foods/which includes all grains)

The Lord says, "And again," at the beginning of this verse, which says to me that this is something we should take note of as being extremely important to our overall health.

Whole grains would be one of the things included in this verse, as a modern day translation of this verse.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I got curious about energy drinks again, so I remembered this thread... and then remembered that nobody answered my question about them last time. :p

What's the normal position on energy drinks in the LDS Church? Do most Mormons avoid them? Are they universally condemned, or is there some disagreement on the matter? Do any of the Mormons here on RF drink them?

Also, just to confirm: soup and broth aren't considered "hot drinks", are they?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I got curious about energy drinks again, so I remembered this thread... and then remembered that nobody answered my question about them last time. :p

What's the normal position on energy drinks in the LDS Church? Do most Mormons avoid them? Are they universally condemned, or is there some disagreement on the matter? Do any of the Mormons here on RF drink them?
They've never actually been addressed. I know they're pretty high in caffeine, so most Mormons probably don't drink them.

No, they're not, nor is hot chocolate. When Joseph Smith was given the "Word of Wisdom" in 1838, it forbid "tobacco," "strong drinks," and "hot drinks." Very shortly afterwards, a clarification was made that interpreted "strong drinks" as any alcoholic beverage and "hot drinks" as tea and coffee. There was no explanation as to what it was in tea and coffee that was problematic. They were just said to be bad for the body. Of course this was long before caffeinated soft drinks existed. A lot of people have assumed, over the years, that it is the caffeine that makes coffee and tea unacceptable and have taken it upon themselves to avoid all beverages containing caffeine. As a matter of fact, you can't buy caffeinated soft drinks at any Church-owned properties (such as BYU). The only time obedience to this particular rule comes up is when a person goes in to see his or her bishop for a temple recommend. One of the questions that is asked is, "Do you live the Word of Wisdom?" Since the official position of the Church is that this means no tea or coffee, someone who drinks caffeinated soft drinks could honestly answer "yes." The same would probably hold true for someone who drinks energy drinks. I know it seems kind of hypocritical, but that's the most accurate answer I can give you.

Watchmen

Premium Member

There is no official position on energy drinks. I know some Mormons who drink them before every workout and I know some who won't drink them because they believe it violates the Word of Wisdom.

I drink one on occasion, usually when I'm making a long drive. I get sleepy when I drive two or three hours plus and I've found that an energy drink helps keep me awake. I don't know if it's really helping or psychosomatic, but either way, I prefer to be awake and alert when driving.

Soup and broth are not considered "hot drinks." Indeed, hot chocolate is not even a "hot drink." "Hot drinks" has been interpreted to mean coffee and tea. But what does that mean? I believe most Mormons drink herbal teas, which suggests it's the tea leaf itself that is not acceptable (the leaf that produces black, green, white, oolong tea and so on). As for coffee, I believe it's universally frowned upon (whether cold or hot), but I have been known to indulge in coffee ice cream from time to time. One, it's not hot; and two, it's not a drink. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do the LDS drinK decafinated tea and coffee?
My guess is that those who do are probably converts to the Church who grew up drinking regular tea and coffee and don't want to give them up. Since it seems to me that both tea and coffee are aquired tastes, most people who were born and raised LDS probably never even learned to like tea or coffee and so would have never picked up the habit of drinking them. My guess is that most LDS bishops would not deny a person a temple recommend for drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee any more than they would for drinking caffeinated soft drinks, but I suppose there are some "hard-liners" who might.

I have a copy of "Mormonism for Dummies" that has a pretty accurate little run-down of what's okay and what's not. Of course, you have to keep in mind that this list is no more authoritative than a list I might come up with. But since I pretty much agree with the authors, I'll post what they had to say...

Definitely okay:
Hot apple cider and hot cocoa
Caffeine-free soft drinks
Chocolate (which Marie Osmond has labeled "Mormon medication")
Moderate quantities of meat
Postum (which is fine from the perspective of Mormon orthodoxy, though maybe not from the standpoint of good taste)
A diet rich in grains and vegetables

Probably okay:
Herbal tea (according to the Word of Wisdom, herbs are "to be used with prudence and thanksgiving)
Cooking with wine, because the alcohol content burns off during cooking. (Some very conservative Mormons, however, won't use so much as a teaspoon of vanilla estract in a batch of chocolate-chip cookies.)

Possibly okay:
Non-alcoholic beer and sparkling cider, rather than champagne. (However, some Mormons think they should avoid even looking like they're drinking forbidden substances, because drinking them may confuse people.)

Probably not okay, but no one knows for sure:
Decaffeinated coffee. (A June, 1988 article in the official Church magazine never said that decaf in forbidden, but it did take pains to point out that decaf drinkers suffer elevated risk for ulcers and other gastrointertinal difficulties. However, bishops and stake presidents aren't supposed to deny a member a temple recommend for drinking decaf, and Apostle John Widstoe advised members that consumption of decaffeinated drinks isn't against the Word of Wisdom.)

Definitely not okay:
Alcohol, including wine and beer
Black tea, green tea, and other caffeinated teas
Coffee and recipes that use it
Iced coffee and iced caffeinated tea
Illegal drugs, recreational drugs, and illicit prescription medications
Tobacco

Note: Caffeinated soda -- The Church urges its members to resolve the issue themselves through prayer and study. When thinking about whether the Word of Wisdom forbids a certain substance, Mormons should ask themselves these questions:

Is it habit forming, illegal or potentially addictive?
Is it known to be harmful to health or spiritual well-being?

Clearly, my three glasses of wine a year (on my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas) are absolute no-no's. On the other hand, maybe I'll score a few points for my absolute abhorance of tea and coffee.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Possibly okay:
Non-alcoholic beer and sparkling cider, rather than champagne. (However, some Mormons think they should avoid even looking like they're drinking forbidden substances, because drinking them may confuse people.)
Just wondering, since the issue of alcohol in "non-alcoholic" beer came up in another thread about non-alcoholic beverages (though not in the Mormon context): are 0.5% "non-alcoholic" beers (i.e. beers that are dealcoholized to the point they're legally classified as "non-alcoholic", probably couldn't get a person intoxicated, but definitely do contain some residual alcohol) considered a big "no", or is there some debate about them as well?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My guess is that those who do are probably converts to the Church who grew up drinking regular tea and coffee and don't want to give them up. Since it seems to me that both tea and coffee are aquired tastes, most people who were born and raised LDS probably never even learned to like tea or coffee and so would have never picked up the habit of drinking them. My guess is that most LDS bishops would not deny a person a temple recommend for drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee any more than they would for drinking caffeinated soft drinks, but I suppose there are some "hard-liners" who might.

I have a copy of "Mormonism for Dummies" that has a pretty accurate little run-down of what's okay and what's not. Of course, you have to keep in mind that this list is no more authoritative than a list I might come up with. But since I pretty much agree with the authors, I'll post what they had to say...

Definitely okay:
Hot apple cider and hot cocoa
Caffeine-free soft drinks
Chocolate (which Marie Osmond has labeled "Mormon medication")
Moderate quantities of meat
Postum (which is fine from the perspective of Mormon orthodoxy, though maybe not from the standpoint of good taste)
A diet rich in grains and vegetables

Probably okay:
Herbal tea (according to the Word of Wisdom, herbs are "to be used with prudence and thanksgiving)
Cooking with wine, because the alcohol content burns off during cooking. (Some very conservative Mormons, however, won't use so much as a teaspoon of vanilla estract in a batch of chocolate-chip cookies.)

Possibly okay:

Probably not okay, but no one knows for sure:
Decaffeinated coffee. (A June, 1988 article in the official Church magazine never said that decaf in forbidden, but it did take pains to point out that decaf drinkers suffer elevated risk for ulcers and other gastrointertinal difficulties. However, bishops and stake presidents aren't supposed to deny a member a temple recommend for drinking decaf, and Apostle John Widstoe advised members that consumption of decaffeinated drinks isn't against the Word of Wisdom.)

Definitely not okay:
Alcohol, including wine and beer
Black tea, green tea, and other caffeinated teas
Coffee and recipes that use it
Iced coffee and iced caffeinated tea
Illegal drugs, recreational drugs, and illicit prescription medications
Tobacco

Note: Caffeinated soda -- The Church urges its members to resolve the issue themselves through prayer and study. When thinking about whether the Word of Wisdom forbids a certain substance, Mormons should ask themselves these questions:

Is it habit forming, illegal or potentially addictive?
Is it known to be harmful to health or spiritual well-being?

Clearly, my three glasses of wine a year (on my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas) are absolute no-no's. On the other hand, maybe I'll score a few points for my absolute abhorance of tea and coffee.

Thanks for the info.... You drink more wine than I do. ( except for communion wine)
I drink at least 4 pints of tea a day. and 1/2 pint of fresh orange juiceand 1/2 pt of skimmed milk
I drink a 1/2 glass of cider a day, because my son in law a doctor gets cross if I don't have any alcohol at all. The balance of my fluid is water.
Sounds like they would not let me any where near a Temple.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just wondering, since the issue of alcohol in "non-alcoholic" beer came up in another thread about non-alcoholic beverages (though not in the Mormon context): are 0.5% "non-alcoholic" beers (i.e. beers that are dealcoholized to the point they're legally classified as "non-alcoholic", probably couldn't get a person intoxicated, but definitely do contain some residual alcohol) considered a big "no", or is there some debate about them as well?
I'm not 100% sure, but in my opinion they would probably be a no-no. I don't know of any Mormon who drinks them. My guess is that if somebody was a practicing Mormon, he wouldn't drink beer at all. Period. If he was a "Mormon of record" (baptized but no longer practicing), he'd probably go for the real thing if he wanted a beer at all.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thanks for the info.... You drink more wine than I do.
Yikes! Don't say that. Now I feel even more guilty than I already did!

I drink at least 4 pints of tea a day. and 1/2 pint of fresh orange juiceand 1/2 pt of skimmed milk
I could not drink 4 pints of tea a day if my life depended on it. As much as I dislike coffee, I dislike tea even more. I do love milk, though, and only drink skim milk. If it weren't for the caloric content (even in skim milk), I could easily drink a quart a day.

Sounds like they would not let me any where near a Temple.
Probably not. ;)