• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea and Coffee??

Dream Angel

I have had a lot of questions on why we do not drink tea and coffee and apart from "Because it is in the word of wisdom", I don't know what the reasoning behind it is. As I am not fussed about tea and coffee - like many other people seem to be - I never questioned it.

Therefore what is the reasoning behind it? so I can give a better answer to those who ask?

Also where does Coke/Diet Coke stand in this? I saw some LDS members on a programme once who don't drink Coke, but it is not in the Word of Wisdom, so is this just a personal thing?

FFH

Veteran Member
One of the temple recommend questions is...

Do you obey the Word of Wisdom ??

Tea and Coffee are included in this, but Coke is not expressly forbidden, but could be included in the Word of Wisdom as a drink not fit for the human body.

I don't drink Coke personally, just every so often I might have a drink though, I've seen how it has nearly ruined my father's health, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Caffeine will harden your arteries, and destroy other parts of the body as well.

Coke has an acid (malic acid) that destoys living tissue in the body as well. My father has prostate cancer and a gall bladder that is shot, because of his poor health habits.

Coke is not a drink meant for the body, neither is hot coffee or tea. These three things will destroy one's health very quickly.

I was warned, at an early age, to stop eating and drinking certain "foods" or I would also die of cancer.

The impression was soooo strong I went out and bought a whole wheat grinder and started baking my own whole wheat bread, in order to avoid an early death, which I had a VERY strong premonition would happen to me.

I work in the pizza biz and I was eating a TON of pizza and a TON of soda at that time, which was slowly killing me.

I now supplement my diet with fruit juices and whole wheat, which are so essential to good health.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
I served a mission in Japan and the LDS members there would not drink Coke, and we were asked, as missionaries, by our Mission President, to not drink Coke, out of respect for the LDS members in Japan who had committed themselves removing Coke and all other caffeinated beverages from their diet, as part of their belief that that should also be included in the Word of Wisdom, green tea was included in this, which we were not allowed to drink, since it was very high in caffeine, but we were allowed to drink wheat tea, which has no caffeine of course.

I completely agree with the Japanese LDS members on this one point, so we didn't drink Coke while in Japan, AT ALL.

I respect their beliefs concerning this, they are very wise, we should do the same.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
If I may ask, can someone explain what exactly is considered a health issue with tea? Especially green tea which has been shown to have tremendous health benefits? Is it because of the caffeine content?

EDIT: No need to answer this question. I think FFH's answer from above will suffice. I didn't see it at the time I posted this message.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If I may ask, can someone explain what exactly is considered a health issue with tea? Especially green tea which has been shown to have tremendous health benefits? Is it because of the caffeine content?
I've heard it's full of tacks. That can't be good for you.

FFH

Veteran Member

EDIT: No need to answer this question. I think FFH's answer from above will suffice. I didn't see it at the time I posted this message.
Yeah, in Japan green tea is served everywhere. LDS members in Japan drink wheat tea instead.

How Much Caffeine in Drinks -- Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks -- Caffeine Content

The Truth About Green Tea Caffeine Content
Contrary to popular belief, green tea caffeine content can be higher than black tea. It really depends on the kind of green tea you are drinking. ...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, is the term "hot drinks" normally considered to include soup?

Also, FFH touched on the Church's stance on colas and other pops ("sodas" to you Americans ;) ) - have they given any official pronunciations on energy drinks? They're not "hot", but many have as much caffiene as coffee... sometimes more.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I wouldn't like to give up my energy drinks. :(

The one I just got done drinking had about 160mg of caffeine. According to the link that FHH provided, a cup of green tea has about 15mg. If it was the size of my energy drink though (16 oz) that would probably bring it to about 45-60 mg.

EDIT: Wow, I'm dropping the ball today. It's 30 mg.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
I wouldn't like to give up my energy drinks. :(

The one I just got done drinking had about 160mg of caffeine. According to the link that FHH provided, a cup of green tea has about 15mg. If it was the size of my energy drink though (16 oz) that would probably bring it to about 45-60 mg.

EDIT: Wow, I'm dropping the ball today. It's 30 mg.
I can drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew in a few hours, but I don't anymore, especially after having very intense chest/heart pains a couple of times, it gave me a scare.

I weigh about 155 to 160 pounds.

I won't touch Mountain Dew now, and rarely drink any other caffeinated beverage.

I've actually never had any coffee or tea, as forbidden in the Word of Wisdom, but Mountain Dew and most energy drinks I have tried and they give me terrible headaches, dizziness and chest/heart pains.

That's enough to make me want to avoid caffeine as much as possible.

I've never had a cigarette or taken any illegal drugs or even so much as tasted any alcoholic beverage.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, is the term "hot drinks" normally considered to include soup?
No

Also, FFH touched on the Church's stance on colas and other pops ("sodas" to you Americans ;) ) - have they given any official pronunciations on energy drinks? They're not "hot", but many have as much caffiene as coffee... sometimes more.
I know, I won't touch energy drinks.

Remember, cola and energy drinks, of course, were not around when the Word of Wisdom was written.

We need to use common sense when taking things into our body.

Last edited:

Worshipper

Tea and coffee are the only things that we're commanded not to drink, Dream Angel, when it comes to the "hot drinks" category. My understanding is that this applies regardless of whether the tea or coffee is hot or cold.

Many Mormons won't drink caffeinated soda. It's not served at BYU. A few Mormons forgo chocolate and other sources of caffeine as well. Most Mormons won't drink decaffeinated coffee. Many Mormons will also avoid eating things flavored with coffee, like tiramisù. Of course, all this only applies to Mormons who want to follow the Word of Wisdom all the time.

The only reasoning I've heard for these substances being off-limits is that the stimulants in them (caffeine and the rest) make it so that our spirits and our bodies don't interact with one another properly. They weaken us spiritually. I first heard this reasoning in the Brigham Young manual, but it's been there in later manuals in the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series as well (those are the manuals we use in Relief Society and Priesthood). You can access those manuals online, of course, including all the older ones like the Brigham Young manual.

Here's a paragraph on the topic from the Brigham Young manual:
"Instead of doing two days’ work in one day, wisdom would dictate to [the Saints], that if they desire long life and good health, they must, after sufficient exertion, allow the body to rest before it is entirely exhausted. When exhausted, some argue that they need stimulants in the shape of tea, coffee, spirituous liquors, tobacco, or some of those narcotic substances which are often taken to goad on the lagging powers to greater exertions. But instead of these kind of stimulants they should recruit by rest. Work less, wear less, eat less, and we shall be a great deal wiser, healthier, and wealthier people than by taking the course we now do. It is difficult to find anything more healthy to drink than good cold water, such as flows down to us from springs and snows of our mountains. This is the beverage we should drink. It should be our drink at all times. … It may be remarked that some men who use spirituous liquors and tobacco are healthy, but I argue that they would be much more healthy if they did not use it, and then they are entitled to the blessings promised to those who observe the advice given in the “Word of Wisdom” (DBY, 187)."
Source

Worshipper

doppelgänger;1329571 said:
Many Yankees also call it "pop."
Yep.

popvssodamap.gif

Katya

I've never had a cigarette or taken any illegal drugs or even so much as tasted any alcoholic beverage.

Wow. I'm impressed. :yes:

I use to drink a lot of coke. I think because I was told that I shouldn't. Never really did what i was suppose to. ;)

Dream Angel

Tea and coffee are the only things that we're commanded not to drink, Dream Angel, when it comes to the "hot drinks" category. My understanding is that this applies regardless of whether the tea or coffee is hot or cold.

Many Mormons won't drink caffeinated soda. It's not served at BYU. A few Mormons forgo chocolate and other sources of caffeine as well. Most Mormons won't drink decaffeinated coffee. Many Mormons will also avoid eating things flavored with coffee, like tiramisù. Of course, all this only applies to Mormons who want to follow the Word of Wisdom all the time.

The only reasoning I've heard for these substances being off-limits is that the stimulants in them (caffeine and the rest) make it so that our spirits and our bodies don't interact with one another properly. They weaken us spiritually. I first heard this reasoning in the Brigham Young manual, but it's been there in later manuals in the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series as well (those are the manuals we use in Relief Society and Priesthood). You can access those manuals online, of course, including all the older ones like the Brigham Young manual.

Here's a paragraph on the topic from the Brigham Young manual:
"Instead of doing two days’ work in one day, wisdom would dictate to [the Saints], that if they desire long life and good health, they must, after sufficient exertion, allow the body to rest before it is entirely exhausted. When exhausted, some argue that they need stimulants in the shape of tea, coffee, spirituous liquors, tobacco, or some of those narcotic substances which are often taken to goad on the lagging powers to greater exertions. But instead of these kind of stimulants they should recruit by rest. Work less, wear less, eat less, and we shall be a great deal wiser, healthier, and wealthier people than by taking the course we now do. It is difficult to find anything more healthy to drink than good cold water, such as flows down to us from springs and snows of our mountains. This is the beverage we should drink. It should be our drink at all times. … It may be remarked that some men who use spirituous liquors and tobacco are healthy, but I argue that they would be much more healthy if they did not use it, and then they are entitled to the blessings promised to those who observe the advice given in the “Word of Wisdom” (DBY, 187)."
Source

Thankyou Worshipper :)

BTW - If tiramisu is done right, its flavoured with rum not coffee.

Can I ask your opinion on alcohol in food? ie white wine sauce, paella etc. I know some of the opinions of the members here, but it would be good to hear what the general opinion is?

Dream Angel

I can drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew in a few hours, but I don't anymore, especially after having very intense chest/heart pains a couple of times, it gave me a scare.

I weigh about 155 to 160 pounds.

I won't touch Mountain Dew now, and rarely drink any other caffeinated beverage.

I've actually never had any coffee or tea, as forbidden in the Word of Wisdom, but Mountain Dew and most energy drinks I have tried and they give me terrible headaches, dizziness and chest/heart pains.

That's enough to make me want to avoid caffeine as much as possible.

I must say FFH, I am impressed too! :yes:

It would appear everything you haven't done, I have! :eek:

Dream Angel

No

I know, I won't touch energy drinks.

Remember, cola and energy drinks, of course, were not around when the Word of Wisdom was written.

We need to use common sense when taking things into our body.

Do you think the Word of Wisdom will ever be changed officially by the Church to "fit in" better with Modern Society ie the fact that Coke and Energy drinks have caffeine in them? I do get asked a lot at work about decaffeinated tea and coffee.

Worshipper

Can I ask your opinion on alcohol in food? ie white wine sauce, paella etc. I know some of the opinions of the members here, but it would be good to hear what the general opinion is?
I grew up in a (thoroughly Mormon) family that regularly used alcohol in cooked food, so I enjoy food cooked with alcohol in it. I try to avoid adding alcohol to food that's not going to be cooked after the alcohol gets added, but sometimes I do (most often when adding an alcohol-based flavoring to something like cake frosting).

I know many Mormons who feel the way I do. Many others, however, feel it is inappropriate to use alcoholic beverages as a cooking ingredient. I don't know where most members stand on the subject of alcohol in flavorings and extracts and so forth.

I know very many members think that it's wrong to drink non-alcoholic beer because the labels on NA beer usually say something like "guaranteed to have less than 0.5% alcohol by volume." They read that and say there's some alcohol in it, no matter how tiny the amount. I assume, though I could be wrong, that some Mormons like that would also shy away from vanilla extract and other alcohol-based flavorings. I quite enjoy drinking non-alcoholic beer.

I believe some members of the Church have started using the new non-alcoholic mouthwashes that are coming out now in an attempt to live closer to the Word of Wisdom, even though the Lord told us in Section 89 that alcohol is good for washing our bodies. But those mouthwashes are becoming popular in my ward and I assume similar trends are occurring in other places as well.

Incidentally, did you know that a ripe orange or a ripe tart berry normally has an alcohol content of 2-4%? That's in the range of the maximum alcohol content legally allowed in beer sold in Utah. I don't know any Mormon who thinks it's okay to drink beer in light of the Word of Wisdom. I don't know any Mormon who thinks there's a problem with eating ripe oranges in light of the Word of Wisdom. So consumption of alcohol in food is an interesting sort of subject in trying to understand how Mormons behave.

Dream Angel

I grew up in a (thoroughly Mormon) family that regularly used alcohol in cooked food, so I enjoy food cooked with alcohol in it. I try to avoid adding alcohol to food that's not going to be cooked after the alcohol gets added, but sometimes I do (most often when adding an alcohol-based flavoring to something like cake frosting).

I know many Mormons who feel the way I do. Many others, however, feel it is inappropriate to use alcoholic beverages as a cooking ingredient. I don't know where most members stand on the subject of alcohol in flavorings and extracts and so forth.

I know very many members think that it's wrong to drink non-alcoholic beer because the labels on NA beer usually say something like "guaranteed to have less than 0.5% alcohol by volume." They read that and say there's some alcohol in it, no matter how tiny the amount. I assume, though I could be wrong, that some Mormons like that would also shy away from vanilla extract and other alcohol-based flavorings. I quite enjoy drinking non-alcoholic beer.

I believe some members of the Church have started using the new non-alcoholic mouthwashes that are coming out now in an attempt to live closer to the Word of Wisdom, even though the Lord told us in Section 89 that alcohol is good for washing our bodies. But those mouthwashes are becoming popular in my ward and I assume similar trends are occurring in other places as well.

Incidentally, did you know that a ripe orange or a ripe tart berry normally has an alcohol content of 2-4%? That's in the range of the maximum alcohol content legally allowed in beer sold in Utah. I don't know any Mormon who thinks it's okay to drink beer in light of the Word of Wisdom. I don't know any Mormon who thinks there's a problem with eating ripe oranges in light of the Word of Wisdom. So consumption of alcohol in food is an interesting sort of subject in trying to understand how Mormons behave.

I had never even thought about mouthwashes having alcohol in them - but surely you are supposed to spit mouthwashes out? :shrug: It certainly is interesting though! :D