• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax CO2 emissions?

Tax Co2 emissions?

• Total voters

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
As a means for encouraging the purchase of more energy efficient vehicles would you be in favor of taxing vehicles based on their carbon dioxide emissions?

RevOxley_501

YES i would

IE, there should be a 10 trillion dollar surcharge for hummers

YEA THATS RIGHT IM TALKING TO YOU YOU SILLY HUMMER DRIVERS!!

evearael

I would certainly consider it... though I fear it would place a heavy burden on the poor who have much fewer options on the vehicle they drive.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
I would not. Some people due to their economic circumstances cannot afford to buy a car that emit less C02.
By this standard we should tax farmers based on how many heads of cattle they have since the cattle emit C02.
While I admire the the intent of making the air cleaner, there has to be another way to go about doing it.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Maize said:
As a means for encouraging the purchase of more energy efficient vehicles would you be in favor of taxing vehicles based on their carbon dioxide emissions?
Are you talking about a one time tax on the purchase of a new car or an annual tax?

In metro Atlanta counties, our cars have to pass an annual emission test if your vehicle runs on gasoline, is less than 8,500 GVWR, and is younger than 25 model years old and older than 2. One side effect is that some people feel obligated to buy a newer car than they can afford so they don't have to mess with an emission test on an older car. Some even move outside the counties where the test is required.

Anyway, like evereal & dbakerman76, I am concerned that this tax would unduly harm poor. :)

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Best idea would be to setup a threshold, sales of cars above it pay a tariff and below it get a rebate.

Booko

Deviled Hen
dbakerman76 said:
I would not. Some people due to their economic circumstances cannot afford to buy a car that emit less C02.
By this standard we should tax farmers based on how many heads of cattle they have since the cattle emit C02.
While I admire the the intent of making the air cleaner, there has to be another way to go about doing it.

Here in Atlanta, due to our lousy air quality, everyone has to get an emmissions check once a year. That's disadvantageous to the poor, as they pay the same as everyone else.

It's just as disadvantageous if the air quality sucks, though, because who's more likely to have asthma and no healthcare?

If we want to get serious about helping the poor get around, we could do something unique and get serious about public transport in this country. :rolleyes:

RevOxley_501

im only gonna say this once---because it shouldnt be neccessary to go any further

"The Peoples Car"

thank you, thank you thank you, i have just saved all of mankind.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Booko said:
...If we want to get serious about helping the poor get around, we could do something unique and get serious about public transport in this country. :rolleyes:
Now in all fairness, some cities have better systems than others. The big problem with Atlanta's MARTA is that our fair city grew rapidly in ALL directions, and now that people commute in every possible direction, mass transit just is not as effective as it is in cities with geographic boundaries.

I would vote yes for a one time tax, and no for a recurring one. The best parallel I can draw is the gas guzzler tax. Has that even made a dent in the sales of the uber-luxury cars that seem to be the only ones that incur it?? Answer...HECK NO!!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
evearael said:
I would certainly consider it... though I fear it would place a heavy burden on the poor who have much fewer options on the vehicle they drive.
True. But I think strong public demand is the only thing that is going to force the automakers to provide low-to-zero emissions vehicles.

RevOxley_501

Maize said:
True. But I think strong public demand is the only thing that is going to force the automakers to provide low-to-zero emissions vehicles.

need i remind you that Ford and GM are going down the crapper, while the much lower emissions vehicle companies such as Honda and Toyota are actually BUILDING factories in the US?!?!

the demand is definately there

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
RevOxley_501 said:
need i remind you that Ford and GM are going down the crapper, while the much lower emissions vehicle companies such as Honda and Toyota are actually BUILDING factories in the US?!?!

Yes demand is there, but obviously not enough to wake up the sleeping giants.

RevOxley_501

either way, a national car with super high MPG rating and Super Low emissions would solve this problem---enter VolksWagen

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I should have read the first post before I voted.
I was thinking "No, I wouldn't want to have to pay a CO2 tax just to play paintball. Guess I'd have to modify my Tippman to support nitrogen if that ever happens."

Seeing as it refers to cars, I would be more supportive of a carbon monoxide tax. But, that would be another burden for the poor to overcome, because as others have said, options are limited for newer cars. Unless your an idiot like me, and get a car that you really can't afford, but you just want to be able to say you purchased your own sports car. Rich mommy and daddy didn't pay a dime towards it. I really regret having that level of pride now.

des

I heard on tv that the CEO of Ford went to talk to the CEO of Toyota (not for a merger ?? but to see if they had any advice-- of course, I never heard of going to your competitor for advise, but...
Let's see maybe that would be to stop building the biggest gas guzzlers in the world. Ford stopped making the Taurus, a nice midsized car with decent
milage (not quite good enough but still..). They could of built a hybrid Taurus which would no doubt have been a winner.

As for the tax, maybe on new cars? I think it could be done so as to make the tax fall on those who could afford it. But I'm not sure how well ti would actually work.

--des

RevOxley_501 said:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ford stopped making the Taurus, a nice midsized car with decent
milage (not quite good enough but still..). They could of built a hybrid Taurus which would no doubt have been a winner.
I don't like the Taurus that much. I also prefer the 4-door Focus over the 2-door.
I'd still prefer my Cougar.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:

Most certainly.

In this country, we pay a "car tax" which is loosely graded by the size of your engine, and the lower the emissions count "for you". The trouble is that the lady who takes her car out once a week pays the same as a commercial traveller. I have never understood the justice in that.

IMO, Car tax should be banned, and an additional levy be added to the price of fuel. Those who do the mileage would then pay for the damage they do.