• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TATTOO'S

Amanda18

Hello all, I am Amanda and I am 18 years old. I have a question???
I am wanting to get a few tattoo's, but I heard if you have any tattoo's when you die, you will go to hell. Is that true? Is it the same thing for piercings, I have my ears pierced and my nose and planning on getting a few more, am I automatically bound for hell already because I have piercings? Would GOD send you to hell just because of a tattoo or piercing? Thank You All and GOD BLESS!!!!

Luna

I don't believe that you would go to hell for getting a tattoo. For one thing these are our earthly bodies. We're going to be given new bodies when we go to heaven. Do you really believe that the ever merciful God would not have enough mercy to forgive you for having a picture on your body if it IS wrong? (Not meaning that to sound mean) :mrgreen:
I know someone who was forced into a chair and tattooed as a child. I don't think she's going to hell. But for those that would look at her, see her tattoo's and automatically assume that she was going to hell are people who really have no basis for opinion anyway. For so i believe.
I don't think that it should alter you from getting a tattoo if people here tell you not to. I think that the best way to decide is to pray about it and decide whether you feel right about it or not. I have chosen not to get tattoos because they are a little too permenant for me. What if I hated it two or three years down the road? I don't want to get surgery to get rid of it.
But, yeah, I totally encourage you to pray about it. Don't listen to those who would take the place of God and condemn you.(I'm really sorry if I just offended anybody!) :oops:

Alaric

Amanda18 said:
Would GOD send you to hell just because of a tattoo or piercing?
Isn't God only supposed to send you to hell for bad things? If this god sent people to hell for something as trivial as a tattoo, would that god really be worth worshipping?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I tend to agree with Lightkeeper on this one. But, apart from all that, consider what Luna said about the permanency of a tattoo. The one thing that has put me off getting one (quite apart from the fact that I haven't found anything I like enough to want permanently on my body), is the thought of what it's going to look like when I'm old and wrinkly, and things start to sag... :eek:mg: :lol:

Lightkeeper

I agree with Bastet. I have not pierced or tattoed my body. The tattoes are permanent. If you want to have adornment you can clip on or use impermanent decorations.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Amanda18 said:
Hello all, I am Amanda and I am 18 years old. I have a question???
I am wanting to get a few tattoo's, but I heard if you have any tattoo's when you die, you will go to hell. Is that true? Is it the same thing for piercings, I have my ears pierced and my nose and planning on getting a few more, am I automatically bound for hell already because I have piercings? Would GOD send you to hell just because of a tattoo or piercing? Thank You All and GOD BLESS!!!!

Who told you this nonsense? If God would send you to hell for getting a tattoo or piercing, would he condemn you for cutting your hair or changing your body in anyway? Isn't that the same thing?

I agree with Lightkeeper and Bastet, there is no phyiscal "hell". So don't worry about it, and do what feels right to you, just be careful with those needles! lol.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Something happened at work today, that just fit this topic so well I had to share it. :lol:

One of the young girls I work with came in to check her roster, and someone asked to see her tattoo, which she had not long had done. The girl pulled up the back of her shirt to expose the tatt, grimaced, and said "I HATE IT!!" I didn't think it looked that bad really, it was a symbol of some sort, done in black, just above the waistline of her jeans. So I asked her why she'd had it done, if she hated it so much, and her answer was basically "We went to Geelong (about 2 hours from where I live, and a popular place for the locals to have tattoos done), and everyone else was getting one...it seemed like a good idea at the time..." :killme: She's not thinking so now....

(Q)

The only thing a tatoo will give you is the respect and admiration of other idiots with tatoos.

Amanda18

I understand what you all are saying about the tattoo, I dont think GOD will send you directly to hell just for a tattoo but you never know. I know they are permanent, but I was going to get a cross on the middle of my back or a picture of jesus, and a chinese symbol for strength and maybe a butterfly...I dont think I would regret religious tattoos, or butterflys, I love them. I will consider though. All of you that say hell isnt real, do you think Heaven is real, and what makes you think hell isnt real? Thanks and GOD BLESS!!!

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Well, I think the answer to your Hell/Heaven question is probably better in a new thread. Suffice to say, not all of us are Christian, and hence don't share the traditional Christian belief of Heaven and Hell. If you want to know reasons, maybe you'd like to start a new thread, or maybe there's one floating around already... ;)

Ceridwen018

Bastet said:
I tend to agree with Lightkeeper on this one. But, apart from all that, consider what Luna said about the permanency of a tattoo. The one thing that has put me off getting one (quite apart from the fact that I haven't found anything I like enough to want permanently on my body), is the thought of what it's going to look like when I'm old and wrinkly, and things start to sag... :eek:mg: :lol:

That's why I'm getting one on my back, chiquitas! Haha, when I turn 18, assuming that I will still hold the same interest in defying my mother, I'm getting one all the way. I consider it a memento of my youth...
**1 more year!**

(Q)

I consider it a memento of my youth...

Relish that thought as the tattoo becomes a scourge to your adult life.

Pah

Uber all member
(Q) said:
The only thing a tatoo will give you is the respect and admiration of other idiots with tatoos.

While others with a tat will think you part of the "club", it is primarily a mark of identity - it has something to say about yourself by an artistic expression.

Tat's should not be an impluse but a thoughtful choice of what and where and have meaning to the wearer.

Mine are.

(Q)

it is primarily a mark of identity - it has something to say about yourself by an artistic expression.

Yes, I did state exactly what it says about oneself.

Tat's should not be an impluse but a thoughtful choice of what and where and have meaning to the wearer.

If thinking were to enter into the decision making process, one would never get a tattoo.

And since tattoos are all the rave, it is doubtful there is any thinking going on at all as oppossed to peer pressure.

Pah

Uber all member
(Q) said:
it is primarily a mark of identity - it has something to say about yourself by an artistic expression.

Yes, I did state exactly what it says about oneself.

If thinking were to enter into the decision making process, one would never get a tattoo.

And since tattoos are all the rave, it is doubtful there is any thinking going on at all as oppossed to peer pressure.

I don't know what to say - I thought - I had no peer pressure (I was beyond my 50's) - and I got not just one but several each with personal meaning.

Perhaps you paint with a broad brush

Well, I am not sure why I have to be stupid to have tattoos. I have about 60 hours of work, and have had them for years. I love them. But, since it is not (Q)'s culture it is safe to deride it. Whose culture is it? Mine. Why is it mine? Because people of his mentality did not LEAVE the people of my generation a culture. Sorry, Church, Budweiser, NASCAR, and mysoginy is not a culture.
SO: we made our own. In a lot of ways, it reaches for the idealism and purity of 'primitive' culture. Trial by pain, catharsis, ritual marking. These things speak powerfully to some of us. When I am pierced or tattooed, it is a sacred process to me, and is my communion. The needles and the pain and the stamina to endure (keep in mind, I have massive tattoo work, and have had some marathon sessions of work done on me).
The scourge of my adult life? Hardly. I got them DURING my adult life, genius. And a nice dress shirt covers them all up. SO: other than insecurity of growing old and having sagging tattoos, why should I care?
Oh, wait, the SKIN that is sagging does not bothr me, so why should it's paint job?
Well, since I am an idiot, allow me to brand you with a word: Coward. Clearlyanyone who does not have a tattoo is a coward. They are afraid to face the pain and insecure in their mortality. Wait, that makes me sound like a dolt, huh??? Eerily enough, it is a lot like your argument.
Not that I have any hope in your view becoming... i dunno... open, but hey, it was worth a try.

Pah

Uber all member
Hehehe, Fra.Morelia. I had one done and, like rabbits, it bred over night it seems (tats are asexual and can breed by themselves) . I won't say they are art but they are symbols of some of my "different faces". I was in my late fifties. The first expression "on body" was a pierceing of the earlobe, a delicate, unobtrusive circle of gold.

I've been fortunate, I guess, in that whatever pain I did have quickly faded after a few strokes of needles

Hee hee, I never thought of em breeding, Pah, I just figured the artists put heroin in their ink. I got about 60 hours worth done in Japan in the traditional style, and trust me, itis an art. Piercing is a skill, which is different. I had 19 Piercing before I joined the Corps, and I imagine they will begin respawning in about the next month or so when I become a free man. :mrgreen: