• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tattoo

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
My dad wants to get a tattoo to represent me. Something to do with autism and to do with being nonbinary that he could use to represent me. Or really anything that could represent me I guess but he specifically asked regarding those two things.

Im having trouble coming up with an idea of something he could use. Definitely nothing regarding the puzzle piece that's a symbol that is associated with autism speaks the hate group, and means im missing a piece and in need of a cure.

Im thinking the rainbow infinity symbol could represent autism. But i don't know what he could use to represent nonbinary and how to incorporate the two. There is the nonbinary flag but it wouldnt look too good with an infinity sign on it.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I found the transgender symbol it looks like a y... My name is Ray.
upload_2022-4-9_14-7-46.png

Maybe my name with the A having an infinity sign and the transgender symbol at the end as the Y?

Gargovic Malkav

I never quite got why people feel such such a strong need to write or draw something on their skin because it is of emotional value to them.
If they like the result, in time, their body looks like a sticker sheet or what resembles a piece of scribbling paper in my notebook back when I was in high school...
But maybe I'm just too shallow or old school to get it...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I never quite got why people feel such such a strong need to write or draw something on their skin because it is of emotional value to them.
If they like the result, in time, their body looks like a sticker sheet or what resembles a piece of scribbling paper in my notebook back when I was in high school...
A tattoo is permanent. It symbolises something inherent and unchanging. Whilst I can agree that such decisions shouldn’t be taken lightly or indeed at a young age, it can be a bastion of one’s moral values that is considered long lasting nontheless

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
There should be a lot of pride associated with your tat. It is a source of inspiration, not doubt. Each person has many facets and must be healed holistically. The tattoo must contribute to your general well being somehow, just like your skin already does.

F1fan

Veteran Member
If you have no tattoos you are a true rebel.

Unfortunately I got one when I was 5. Accidentally poked my hand with a freshly sharpened pencil and you can still see the graphite in my skin.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I got a cartoon character tattooed on my back when I was 19. I was told not to, that I'd regret it, and it wouldn't look good forever, yadda yadda...

Guess what. He doesn't look good these days. The colors bled and faded over time, and who he is has gone mostly unknown with the times.

Like me. I don't look nearly so good as I did at 19, and I'm certainly not as 'known' as I was in the early 2000s, either.

I find him comforting. What was just for funsies became more meaningful me to as the years have drug on. It might be a distasteful tattoo to some, but for me, its a symbol of the cycles of time and impermanence; things I want to keep in my mind.

I don't regret it.

Gargovic Malkav

I got a cartoon character tattooed on my back when I was 19. I was told not to, that I'd regret it, and it wouldn't look good forever, yadda yadda...

Guess what. He doesn't look good these days. The colors bled and faded over time, and who he is has gone mostly unknown with the times.

Like me. I don't look nearly so good as I did at 19, and I'm certainly not as 'known' as I was in the early 2000s, either.

I find him comforting. What was just for funsies became more meaningful me to as the years have drug on. It might be a distasteful tattoo to some, but for me, its a symbol of the cycles of time and impermanence; things I want to keep in my mind.

I don't regret it.

Which character was it?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
FUN FACT! Tattoos are forbidden in Judaism. My wife has a small one, just a dot really, and she stresses about it. A bad decision she bailed out on, so I don't think it counts. I've told my kids, piercings are much better expressions. These heal after you grow up. Then again, some might consider my circumcision to be mutilation. I didn't have a choice in the matter.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm, what about the rainbow infinity symbol but with a thick outline that has the nonbinary flag colors? I think it would work. But ultimately I think it's gotta be something meaningful to both of you. :)

Jedster

FUN FACT! Tattoos are forbidden in Judaism. My wife has a small one, just a dot really, and she stresses about it. A bad decision she bailed out on, so I don't think it counts. I've told my kids, piercings are much better expressions. These heal after you grow up. Then again, some might consider my circumcision to be mutilation. I didn't have a choice in the matter.
I have a (Jewish) friend who had his whole arm tattooed in his youth. Now at almost 70 he wanted to have it removed. I suggested to him that having it removed will cause him much pain and that it is probably against the din to cause oneself such pain.
So are there any comments in the Talmud regarding causing oneself pain?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I have a (Jewish) friend who had his whole arm tattooed in his youth. Now at almost 70 he wanted to have it removed. I suggested to him that having it removed will cause him much pain and that it is probably against the din to cause oneself such pain.
So are there any comments in the Talmud regarding causing oneself pain?
Depending on his community, he might not be allowed to be buried with his kin. Worth it to get them removed, IMHO.