• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Study: The Magician

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
It's now time to move on to the next card. For those of you who just saw the first thread (since I only moved it today), have no fear. You'll have time to catch up, since I won't be posting the High Priestess until the end of this month, as I'll be away for a week.

So, here is our next card:

maj01.jpg

As with The Fool, post your observations, thoughts and impressions, and after a few people have responded I'll throw in some standard meanings and associations

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
My favorite card. See him up there for all to see a proud ceremonial magician. He applies his tools of the trade. The pentacle, dagger, chalice, and wand. Not seen should be incense, bell, and candle. All of the four elements are represented. Earth, wind, fire, and water. A sacrifice is in order before the magician invokes the spirits of the four quarters. He points to above as well as below to symbolize balance. He is in command of his world and all around it. If he so chooses he may decide to evoke,(outside the circle) instead of invoke, (inside the circle) and be protected inside a triangle instead of a circle. He knows the circle can protect as well as contain.

He is very polished and practiced and proud as well as capable.

Inky

The first thing that this card makes me wonder is whether he is alone or with others. The border of climbing roses makes me think of a secluded garden, as if he wants to practice his arts with no interruptions. But, the way he is looking directly at the person holding the card and the way he's holding up the thing in his hand gives a feeling that he has an audience, and is putting on a show in a way. There's a conflict between magic for personal discovery and private understanding, and magic to impress or help others.

The four symbols on the table (cup/wand/sword/pentacle), the infinity sign above his head, and the number 1 at the top of the card make me think of fusion and unity.

The infinity sign also reminds me of pictures of priests or deities with haloes. The Magician's "halo" is a mathematical symbol (I think it might have been an alchemical symbol before that, but I'm not sure). Often I think of the methodical sorts of magic (think potions where it works as long as you follow the instructions) or alchemy as a combination of mystical and scientific thought. Maybe he is this sort of magician?

Bishka

Veteran Member
The first thing that I noticed was the dramatics, the "flashiness" I guess you could call it. Perhaps I am wrong, but the Magician seems sure of himself, knowing what he is doing, but also wants to make people notice that he knows what he is doing.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i view the Major Arcana as being the Fool on a journey, in this card the Fool is taught his first knowledge, he learns the basic principles of Magic and the Cosmos, and more importantly, in this card, the Fool learns to balance.

on the Magician's alter we have a sword, a cup, a staff and a pentacle, representing the 4 elements, and the Magician himself has one hand held high and the other held low representing himself as having a balance of the elements within himself.

the figure of eight above the Magician's head represents eternity.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The flashiness of the magician is an illusion, but a powerful one nonetheless. The symbol of infinity is eternal because it comes back to itself. The magician is eternal because all of his magic begins and ends with him.

Isabella Lecour

Study of the Magician:
Regal, proud, confondant, knowing his place between the words.
Infinity above his head...the power of the great "what if"
His stance repersence "as above, as below," unity, and balance between the worlds
His robes of white is purity and of red, passion and fire and desire..
In his hand the phallic wand of life...of thought made creation..double edged and pure.
The table bears the altar with the tools of the magician. Each of the elements are on the table with a few missing. I've wondered about that? Why? I think he repsents a generel ceremonial magician instead of particular pratice.

The greenery about him...roses of perfect love and passion and lillys of purity and death and rebirth. I see a balance between life and death with the sysmolism of the flowers.
He is at the begining of the ritual. Posed in the moment that gathers energy to performe the task at hand. He is hopeful and sure of himself as he has gathered all things to his cause. He undertakes a great task and a great duty. The colors and sysmbols repeat..life and death..with the red and white...his ritual must be focused on this, the Greater Mystery.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm very sorry that I slacked on this one. Here's some of my own observations and a "book" definition of the card.

I have heard the magician described in as a lightning rod. A lightning rod receives large volts of energy from the heavens and grounds them. This is what the magician does. He receives and is highly aware of the energy from above. It passes through him and he grounds it...the hand pointing down. If he were not grounded he would burst into flames. As would anyone who was open to the energy and didn't have a place to release it. Most "mad" people, I feel, are just not grounded. In fact they may be more in tuned with their higher selves than we are, but they don't know how to disperse this energy. It will do us no good to be open to and seek the power if we don't have a way of releasing it. This card is about consciousness, that is being totally aware of what is happening. Knowing from where we get power and more importantly staying grounded enough to use that power.

Unlike the fool, the magician is focused and knows what he is doing. he has his mind clearly focused and makes use of all the weapons laid before him. He holds his wand in a deliberate manner, yet at the same time he is already directing the flow. That leaves him constantly open to receive more enlightenment. I have said before, and I say again, the best way to receive anything, be it money, kindness, or power, is to give it first. If we have no means of releasing it...it becomes trapped and we are then closed off to further receiving.

ACTIONS

taking action
doing what needs to be done
realizing your potential
making what's possible real
practicing what you preach
carrying out plans
producing magical results
using your talents

acting consciously
knowing what you are doing and why
acknowledging your motivations
understanding your intentions
examining the known situation

concentrating
having singleness of purpose
being totally committed
applying the force of your will
feeling centered
setting aside distractions
focusing on a goal

experiencing power
making a strong impact
having vitality
creating miracles
becoming energized
feeling vigorous
being creative

DESCRIPTION

The Magician is the archetype of the active, masculine principle - the ultimate achiever. He symbolizes the power to tap universal forces and use them for creative purposes. Note his stance in the picture. He acts as a lightening rod - one arm extended up into the Divine for inspiration, the other pointing toward Earth to ground this potent energy. His abilities appear magical at times because his will helps him achieve what seem to be miracles.

What makes the Magician so powerful? First, he is not afraid to act. He believes in himself and is willing to put that belief on the line. He also knows what he intends to do and why. He doesn't hesitate because he understands his situation exactly. The Magician can focus with single-minded determination. As long as he remembers the divine source of his power, the Magician remains the perfect conduit for miracles.

In a reading, the Magician implies that the primal forces of creativity are yours if you can claim your power and act with awareness and concentration. This card is a signal to act and act now, provided you understand exactly what you want and are committed to getting it.

Key words and description taken from Joan Bunning...again. Many thanks to her great generosity in sharing her knowledge with us.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
maj01.jpg

As with The Fool, post your observations, thoughts and impressions, and after a few people have responded I'll throw in some standard meanings and associations
Both the infinity sign above his head and the snake biting its own tail around his waist represent infinity/eternal.
His right arm receives wisdom from heaven and his left arm puts it into action on earth. As above, so below.
On the table, the four symbols of the four suites. The four directions, the four elements, the four seasons - he is master of all.
Roses = love, and lilies = death, intertwined, but love triumphs as evidenced by only roses above.

The Magician is probably my favorite card. He is the reason why all the rings/bracelet on my right hand symbolize wisdom/friendship that I receive, and all the rings/bracelet on my left hand symbolize my own power to act. To me, he is the human being perfected.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Magician Spread

Shuffle the deck, laying cards 1-3 face up and 4-7 face down, following the diagram above.

Card 1: This card represents inspiration, seizing the lightning, gifts from above.

Card 2: This card represents the change the inspiration goes through, the transformation through you; process.

Card 3: This card is the manifestation, the final form it takes out in the material world.

When you have read the first 3, turn the other four over.

Cards 4-7 represent the ingredients you can draw on to make this happen. You can read them as gifts from the four elements, or another way if that makes more sense. (Once when I did this the four cards laid themselves out perfectly in a series of past experiences!) If you read them elementally:

Card 4: Earth, or Pentacles, material gifts, gifts of the body.

Card 5: Air, or Swords, intellectual gifts, decisions and clarity and discernment.

Card 6: Water, or Cups, emotional gifts, intuitive knowledge, gut feelings.

Card 7: Fire, or Wands, gifts of passion and drive and life! That which you love and are driven towards.

Attachments

• magicianspread.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 78