• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Study: The Hierophant

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Moving right along, Number V: The Hierophant:
05-Major-Hierophant.jpg
hierophant240x420.jpg
05-Major-Hierophant-1.jpg

The first card is from the Radiant Rider Waite Deck, the second is from the God Tarot, and again, the third is from the Ferret Tarot.

That second card depicts Jesus of Nazareth, and am very curious to hear what others think of using Jesus in a Tarot deck, and how the artists chose to depict him.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
A Hierophant is someone who brings religious congregants into the presence of that which is deemed holy.
In Tarot it represents conformity to social standards, or a deference to the established social moral order.
But I'm sure we all know this ^_^
I think it's interesting for Jesus to be used in the god tarot. It makes sense though too if the tarots theme is 'Christian' based(or what ever it's base maybe). Since he is seen as someone who brings religious congregant in the presence of that which is deemed holy.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
That second card depicts Jesus of Nazareth, and am very curious to hear what others think of using Jesus in a Tarot deck, and how the artists chose to depict him.
There is also use of Christian motives in the Rider-Waite deck via Qabbalistic and Gnostic symbolism, the holy land, Jerusalem and Christ are some of the elements found. its worthy to note that some of the cards in the deck originally had stronger Christian motives which were later reduced, for example the Hierophant was originally called the Pope.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
There is also use of Christian motives in the Rider-Waite deck via Qabbalistic and Gnostic symbolism, the holy land, Jerusalem and Christ are some of the elements found. its worthy to note that some of the cards in the deck originally had stronger Christian motives which were later reduced, for example the Hierophant was originally called the Pope.

Granted of course :)

I know when I first started with Tarot I was surprised to read that, and others may not know of it. To those that think the Tarot is purely a pagan thing, it can come as a surprise to see Jesus as one of the cards. I assume of course :)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
A Hierophant is someone who brings religious congregants into the presence of that which is deemed holy.
In Tarot it represents conformity to social standards, or a deference to the established social moral order.
But I'm sure we all know this ^_^

Along with that, I also learned that the Hierophant can mean any type of structured education/schooling.

I think it's interesting for Jesus to be used in the god tarot. It makes sense though too if the tarots theme is 'Christian' based(or what ever it's base maybe). Since he is seen as someone who brings religious congregant in the presence of that which is deemed holy.

Jesus was, primarily, a teacher, which is what the authors of the God Tarot wanted to emphasize. While I'm fine with that, the giant pentagram (with it's conventional meaning ;)) behind him gave me a bit of a pause :)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
While I'm fine with that, the giant pentagram (with it's conventional meaning ;)) behind him gave me a bit of a pause :)
Hehe, while must people think of the pentagram as Pagan, it has been used be many ^_^
If I remember right even be early Christians.

Mr Cheese

The Heirophant is placed upon path 11, reachign from kether to chockmah

which befits a teacher.... coming from the energies of Sophia (Chockmah) herself
and the unknown 1st emanated principle that is Kether.

This is of course traditionally the place of the fool in most systems, but the fool could go anywhere.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Jesus was, primarily, a teacher, which is what the authors of the God Tarot wanted to emphasize. While I'm fine with that, the giant pentagram (with it's conventional meaning ;)) behind him gave me a bit of a pause :)

As you know, I see something of the same symbolism between the pentagram and cross. :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Well, they both reflect the relationship between the individual and the Universe. In the case of the cross, it represents the individual giving the "self" over to "God" (reconnecting with the Universe). In the case of the pentagram, it represents the micro and macrocosm relationship--all the elements of the universe combining in the basic form of a human.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
A Priest of Set once did a Tarot reading on me, and the card which emerged was the Heirophant. I asked him what this meant for me. He said, the day will come when you will become a treacher of Mysteries and arcane knowldge.

For whatever that's worth.

/Adramelek\

Mr Cheese

Well, they both reflect the relationship between the individual and the Universe. In the case of the cross, it represents the individual giving the "self" over to "God" (reconnecting with the Universe). In the case of the pentagram, it represents the micro and macrocosm relationship--all the elements of the universe combining in the basic form of a human.

:sarcastic usually the micro is the pentagram and the macro is the hexagram...but ok

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
So we can all agree (to some extent ;)) that the Hierophant means some form of teaching and learning. What other ways can we interpret this card? Like, how would you interpret this card if it was drawn for the Foundation spot in the Celtic Cross spread? Or the Hopes and Fears spot?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
So we can all agree (to some extent ;)) that the Hierophant means some form of teaching and learning. What other ways can we interpret this card? Like, how would you interpret this card if it was drawn for the Foundation spot in the Celtic Cross spread? Or the Hopes and Fears spot?

Anyone with some insight on this?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The Fool plunges into nothing --with no understanding of [the things of] the world, no understanding is needed. The Magician has acquired a thing, a tool with which to Understand the world (word/symbol), and he can wield it and mold the image to learn more. The Empress represents the maturation of image: Spirit that gives birth to body-form-life-the world-illusive substance/substantial illusion.

The Emperor represents Truth, the illusive made concrete, given order and structure (explanation). In doing so he has split the world of substance into "know" and "can't know," and settled his throne firmly in the land he fondly calls Reality. Once truth has concretized, the door is opened to teach/transmit it.

The Hierophant in turn is Sacred, truth attaching itself, and hence retaining, the "other side" that the Emperor has dismissed and can't afford to entertain. In doing so the duality created by the Emperor's split is supported, and the world splits again: a falsehood here, a falsehood there, a truth here, a truth there, but with one side unsupported except by tradition and dogma.

Just some thoughts.