• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Study: The Fool

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Note: This thread was originally started in the private Pagan forum. Now that it is in the Divination DIR, I welcome non-Pagan participants. However, please be sure to follow the rules, and post on-topic comments. Comments disparaging the tarot, divination, or the people who use them will be deleted with no warning. This thread is for those interested in learning the tarot only. Thank you.

Now, on with the show.

First, I want to thank everyone for being interested in this. I think it will be a great load of fun.

I'm going to start by posting images of each of the cards from the Rider-Waite deck, and we'll look at those. But, if you have a deck that you work with and would like to use also, feel free to post an image, description and some thoughts. I have the Robin Wood and the Old Path also, so I may scan some of those. I'll also post some interesting symbolism lists I got when I took a Tarot course.

Ok, so, without further ado, here is our Fool: (I apologize for the size of the picture, I'll shrink them all down by the time we're ready to move on to the next card! :eek:)

maj00.jpg

Before we get into the meanings associated with this card from books, first let's just look at the card. What does it tell you? What meaning do you get just from what is there? Are there any symbols that jump out at you? Can you form a story in your mind?

Remember, there are no wrong answers!

I'll let everyone else start and post a bit later on. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
maj00.jpg

Before we get into the meanings associated with this card from books, first let's just look at the card. What does it tell you? What meaning do you get just from what is there? Are there any symbols that jump out at you? Can you form a story in your mind?

Remember, there are no wrong answers!

I'll let everyone else start and post a bit later on. :)

This is what a Christian (an open-minded one) sees. When I look at this card, I see aloofness and sort of an air of not caring. The cliff and the flower stand out as well as the angle of his/her neck.

Edit: If anyone wished me not to participate as of my religious preference, I'd be more then happy to step out.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
It's hard to say something about The Fool that doesn't deal with the Fool's Journey ;). But that's basically what I get out of it. A novice striking out on his own for the first time, with little to no experience of the world. He's going to have some hard times ahead of him, based on his lack of experience, but he'll have some good times too. Either way, he'll grow with experience and knowledge until he reaches the next stage in his development.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
One thing that strikes me about the Fool card is that it is numbered 0. I liken that to an egg, a symbol of new beginnings and (re)birth.

I also see a sense of impulsiveness, and to a certain degree, carelessness - he is on a journey, but doesn't have a clear idea where he is going. And without paying attention to his surroundings, he'll walk right off that cliff.

What do you think about the dog?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
the fool is walking off a cliff, he doesn't look like he knows what could be ahead of him, he has a pack on a stick and the sun is rising in the east so he is apparently about to go on a journey :)

MaddLlama said:
What do you think about the dog?
i've never thought about the dog before... it could be a childhood thing, it could be something helping to give him the courage to go on a journey of learning (spirit guide maybe) or it could just be his best friend :shrug:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Dogs, as opposed to other canines, are domesticated. They often represent the servile creature, bound into service, yet happy with it. This particular dog is carefree, and loyal. It will follow the fool right off the cliff.

It represents that while we are free, and may dream--for all possibilities are open to the fool!--we are still chained to something. We are bound by certain loyalties.

These loyalties keep us grounded, yet the dog also reminds us that we must be careful of blind loyalty, lest we fall off the cliff with the leader. We must also be careful of being quixotic, lest we jump right off the cliff while daydreaming.

"The dogs on mainstreet howl, 'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands...
Mister, I ain't a boy, no I'm a man." - The Promised Land, Bruce Springsteen

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
That's cool =) I never thought of it like that before.

It's interesting to me to see how everyone's different interpretations give more depth to the card.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Dogs, as opposed to other canines, are domesticated. They often represent the servile creature, bound into service, yet happy with it. This particular dog is carefree, and loyal. It will follow the fool right off the cliff.

It represents that while we are free, and may dream--for all possibilities are open to the fool!--we are still chained to something. We are bound by certain loyalties.

These loyalties keep us grounded, yet the dog also reminds us that we must be careful of blind loyalty, lest we fall off the cliff with the leader. We must also be careful of being quixotic, lest we jump right off the cliff while daydreaming.

"The dogs on mainstreet howl, 'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands...
Mister, I ain't a boy, no I'm a man." - The Promised Land, Bruce Springsteen

that is something that i had never thought of... i can see these threads being very insightful! frubals to you, my good sir.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Ok, since I don't want this to stall out I'll post my full take on this card, and some "official" meanings.

One of my favorite descriptions of the fool come from the book Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom. It says "For the fool, no difference exists between possibility and reality. 0 means a total emptiness of hopes and fears,and the fool expects nothing, plans nothing. He responds instantly to the immediate situation."

This may be looked at as foolhardy by most. That whole look before you leap idea. We are taught at a very young age that we should go into any venture with a plan. But sometimes we can't always be prepared and in certain instances if we spend too much time rationalizing and rethinking, we miss the boat so to speak. Like falling in love for instance. If we all stopped and thought of the possibility of a broken heart we may prevent ourselves the grief by not going for it. But we also miss out on the possibility of finding our one true love and in turn finding ourselves in the journey.

He is spontaneous...perhaps to a fault, however this guy will not miss out on anything good because he risks it all every time. Its not that he is ignorant of the dangers, just that he is willing to take the risk to achieve his goals.

The bag over his shoulder is everything he has learned in his life. All the keys to happiness. The bag may look too small to hold these things, but perhaps we miss the point. Maybe our own bags are too big. The Fool knows in a minute which things are worthy of saving for later use. Perhaps there is only one thing in his bag. Who knows what it is. I am sure if we all had to choose one thing to fill our bag with they would all be as different as we are. The point is he has what he needs and nothing more to weigh him down.

In readings the fool is often a sign that someone is considering their own journey or adventure. He is a sign that tells us to go for our dreams with all our heart. He is not a sign of unquestionable success and not a guarantee that you wont fail, however it says that you will never feel like you fought the battle unless you step up and go for it.

Well, thats my take and now I will give you the key words associated with this card:

Beginning
  • entering a new phase
  • striking out on a new path
  • expanding horizons
  • starting something new
  • beginning an adventure
  • going on a journey
  • heading into the unknown
Being Spontaneous
  • living in the moment
  • letting go of expectations
  • doing the unexpected
  • acting on impulse
  • feeling uninhibited
  • surprising someone
  • feeling carefree

Having Faith
  • trusting the flow
  • staying open
  • letting go of worry and fear
  • feeling protected and loved
  • living in joy
  • recapturing innocence
  • believing
Embracing Folly
  • accepting your choices
  • taking the "foolish" path
  • pursuing a pipe dream
  • being true to yourself
  • taking a "crazy" chance
  • trusting your heart's desire
As Card 0, the Fool lies at the beginning of the major arcana, but also somewhat apart from the other cards. In medieval courts, the court jester was someone who was not expected to follow the same rules as others. He could observe and then poke fun. This makes the Fool unpredictable and full of surprises. He reminds us of the unlimited potential and spontaneity inherent in every moment. There is a sense with this card that anything goes - nothing is certain or regular. The Fool adds the new and unfamiliar to a situation.

The Fool also represents the complete faith that life is good and worthy of trust. Some might call the Fool too innocent, but his innocence sustains him and brings him joy. In readings, the Fool can signal a new beginning or change of direction - one that will guide you onto a path of adventure, wonder and personal growth. He also reminds you to keep your faith and trust your natural responses. If you are facing a decision or moment of doubt, the Fool tells you to believe in yourself and follow your heart no matter how crazy or foolish your impulses may seem.

These keywords and description brought to you by the wonderful Joan Bunning, and her website: http://www.learntarot.com

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I actually put together my own Star Wars tarot deck, although it only exists on my computer. I chose Luke for the Fool, specifically when he's standing looking at the setting suns at the beginning of A New Hope. I thought that shot pretty much WAS the essence of the Fool.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I actually put together my own Star Wars tarot deck, although it only exists on my computer. I chose Luke for the Fool, specifically when he's standing looking at the setting suns at the beginning of A New Hope. I thought that shot was pretty much WAS the essence of the Fool.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'll have to take your word for it since I know precious little about Star Wars. Horrible I know! *prepares for a beating*

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Before we move on to the next card (which hopefully will be soon), I found a site with pre-scanned images of all the Robin Wood cards, so I'm going to post a picture of this card from that deck.

Does anyone have a deck other than those two that they work with, or want to work with? If so, post the name of the deck here and I'll see what card images I can find. =D

BFD_Zayl

Before we move on to the next card (which hopefully will be soon), I found a site with pre-scanned images of all the Robin Wood cards, so I'm going to post a picture of this card from that deck.

Does anyone have a deck other than those two that they work with, or want to work with? If so, post the name of the deck here and I'll see what card images I can find. =D
i got a deck from barnes and noble, the death tarot, works quite well for me... i'm not sure where you can find images of it though.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Hmm...I don't see it on the aeclectic website (which btw if anyone didn't know has previews and reviews of hundreds of decks). Do you know who the publisher is?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I have the Gilded Tarot by Ciro Marchetti, I think that would be worth posting because I was blown away by the stunning artwork.