• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarasan's stupid idea (question answer round)

tarasan

so i was looking on this forum today when i should be doing uni work (FYI not a good idea when it comes to getting things done) when i came accross a person who asked to be given random questions to answered in an attempt to "prove christianity is defensible"

Now all considerations of how that is quite a fruitless venture aside, i thought it would be a fun thing to do! i know i know im stealing an idea but ohhh well not the stupidest thing ive done in this forum. ;)

so i figure ill listen to what questions you have to say and see if I have justifyable answers, heck who knows you crazy peeps may be able to convince me.:D

lets just try and keep it poilte and if i dont answer to you remember it could because im discussing with someone else and havnt noticed it so please repost!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Okies. In the spirit of the OP.

1. Was Jesus God or was the relationship much more complex than that?
2. Do the clergy hold any kind of exalted status beyond that of the layperson? (Are they closer to god, for example?)

tarasan

Okies. In the spirit of the OP.

1. Was Jesus God or was the relationship much more complex than that?

Jesus is God yes, but I can tell you that Trinitarianism is nothing simple, ultimately Jesus is the same entity as the holy spirit and the father, but he is a seperate "person" or individual.

2. Do the clergy hold any kind of exalted status beyond that of the layperson? (Are they closer to god, for example?)

No the Clergy are not beyond a layperson they may have a leadership role in the church by they are still equal to the rest of the congregation under God

Tathagata

Freethinker
Why did God commit genocide upon every single living creature both innocent and guilty?

How can an inherently omnibenevolent being commit horrific acts of violence that cause immense suffering?

If Jesus is God, does that mean Jesus committed genocide?

If Jesus is God, does that mean he impregnated the woman who gave birth to him?

If God is omnipresent, does that mean God is present in Hell?

If God is omnipresent, how is it possible to be separate from God?

tarasan

Was the crucifixion of jesus suicide or bad parenting or both ?

The crucifixion of Jesus was to substitute himself for mankind, He did something in our place so that we could be brought back into relationship with God. now what that substitution entialed is actually quite a debated topic in the church today, all sparked off by steve chalke. It is quite interesting I advise you look into it. :D

your last statement about bad parenting is just wrong on a theological point of view, Jesus is as much God as the father is, they are differentiated in the way shown in the bible to show their relationship with one another and the place that they have within the trinity. consider it symbolism.

tarasan

Why did God commit genocide upon every single living creature both innocent and guilty??

ohhhh so many varaitions of answer (this question is so provactive I wanna be hyper conservative for funsies!!) are you expecting me to know the exact reason? or are you trying to lead onto something else?

How can an inherently omnibenevolent being commit horrific acts of violence that cause immense suffering?

how can he? im not sure you havnt really shown a contradiction here,(dont get me wrong I know were you are coming from but there is not formal logical contradiction and i dont wanna jump the gun and strawman this)

is it impossible that an all loving omnipotent being has a reason to allow these things?

If Jesus is God, does that mean Jesus committed genocide?

Now this is a fairly obvious answer isnt it, if God commited genocide then clearly jesus must have done.

If Jesus is God, does that mean he impregnated the woman who gave birth to him?
it really depends if you would call what God did to mary impregnating, so im not sure
If God is omnipresent, does that mean God is present in Hell?
it depends what version of hell you take, if your an annihilationist no because hell is non existance.
If God is omnipresent, how is it possible to be separate from God?
annihilationism, also seperatists believe you are seperated from "his glory" so while God still is there they are not aware of his presence.

tarasan

its indirect suicide then

you havnt not delt with the substitution statement i made, :D

would you count the soldier who through himself infront of his friend to save him suicide? if so then its a pretty strange suicide IMO