• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tara gayatri

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I don't know which gayatri this is, I'm putting it in the general Dharmic Religions DIR.

I am wondering if the Tara gayatri mantra refers to Tara of Buddhism or Tara of the Mahavidyas, manifestations of Durga, or is there no difference? I'm leaning towards the Mahavidya Tara.

Om Tarayai cha vidhmahe
Mahograyai cha dhimahe
Tanno Devi prachodyat

I can't find the exact meaning of Mahogra either (the -yai is the fem. sing. dative case ending = "to"), but I wonder if it is a sandhi of Maha+ugra, "great fierce one".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I don't know which gayatri this is, I'm putting it in the general Dharmic Religions DIR.

I am wondering if the Tara gayatri mantra refers to Tara of Buddhism or Tara of the Mahavidyas, manifestations of Durga, or is there no difference? I'm leaning towards the Mahavidya Tara.

Om Tarayai cha vidhmahe
Mahograyai cha dhimahe
Tanno Devi prachodyat

I can't find the exact meaning of Mahogra either (the -yai is the fem. sing. dative case ending = "to"), but I wonder if it is a sandhi of Maha+ugra, "great fierce one".

OK, I think it means "Let us meditate on Tara. May that great and fierce form of Devi inspire and illumine our mind and understanding".

I'm open to corrections. :p