• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tap or Faucet

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For Indian cooking they usually are referring to a hot pepper when they say that. In the U.S. without a qualifier a "green pepper" would be a green bell pepper. When shopping I have seen bell peppers, Anaheim peppers, poblano, shi****o, Serrano, and jalapeno peppers. All green. I like heat but have never cooked with a habanero pepper, Perhaps partially because one needs to wear gloves when cooking. Once I cooked a meal with a couple of Serrano peppers that I diced finely. No gloves. I washed my hands several times after that as part of cooking the meal. Then took a shower later that day and after shampooing my hair, effectively another very deep hand washing, I accidentally touched my eyes as I washed my face. Big mistake. There was still capascium from the peppers on my hands. I could just imagine how that would have felt with a habanero.

May i also suggest not going to the toilet and touching "delicate" areas while you have any trace of capsaicin on your fingers. Lots of ouch.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Armoire is a specific french style, something like this
View attachment 34700
But i am afraid the furniture industry has grabbed the chic name and applies it to boxes for the bedroom.

I am stuck with the word closet meaning toilet, water closet. Not the place i would like to store clothes.
We have one of those (armoire) in our dining room, having the only house in the family with a room large enough to accommodate it. It's full of tablecloths, glasses and all that dinner table stuff one feels one ought to have but virtually never uses - a lot of it came as weddings presents.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We have one of those (armoire) in our dining room, having the only house in the family with a room large enough to accommodate it. It's full of tablecloths, glasses and all that dinner table stuff one feels one ought to have but virtually never uses - a lot of it came as weddings presents.

We have a Welsh dresser for that very task.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You reckon the speakers of the proto-Romance languages had this conversation?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Here plaster is a putty used to fix holes in drywall sheeting. :)

It is in the UK to, who said english wasn't confusing

Difference is, you buy plasters (with an s) for patching up holes in people, you buy plaster (no s) for patching up holes in walls.... Simples!!!

And drywall sheet is called plaster board.

Little story about how plasterboard helped shape commercial vehicles in the the UK

The ford transit van was the first vehicle to have 8ft by 4ft of flat floorspace. Previous to that, small vans did not actually seem to be designed for how britain worked. Plaster board, plywood sheet etc is an 8ft by 4ft standard. A builder could buy his needs, stack it flat on the floor of his van. Previously there was considerable damage from wheel arches and strengthening braces. The transit revolutionised the building industry and became the best selling van in the UK... I think it still is.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Like "hey Plebius, should we call this crinkle cut, deep fried slice of potato a chip or a crisp?"
'Hey, those guys over in Frankia call that thing a manson, as in built with hands, but we call it a casa, as in, you know, a house. Stupid Franks o_O'

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Apparently "quite" in the UK means "fairly" but in the US means "very". So calling someone's cooking "quite good" could be a compilment or an insult.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Apparently "quite" in the UK means "fairly" but in the US means "very". So calling someone's cooking "quite good" could be a compilment or an insult.

I will be having words with my husband about his "quite good" to my flapjacks...