1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoism seems blurred in with older traditions

Discussion in 'Taoism DIR' started by The Emperor of Mankind, Mar 3, 2017.

1. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,479
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    Does anyone know where Chinese folk religion (i.e. Wuism) end and religious Taoism begins?

2. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,556
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    It seems to me (and this is really just my own personal speculation) that just as Judaism, Islam, and Christianity arose from a common ancestry; and Buddhism arose from the common ancestry of what we today call Hindu; so too Taoism arose from the earlier folk traditions of China. I don't think there is a clear line where one 'begins' and 'ends' in relation to the other, because Taoism is a continuation...

Once it developed, folk traditions continued to develop, influenced by Taoism; and Taoism was influenced by the continued development of Wuism. Both were likewise affected by the development of Confucism and the arrival of Buddhism...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. crowfeather

Ratings:
    +179
    Religion:
    taoist
    Religious taoism began with the first would-be taoist that completely misinterpreted Lao Tzu.
    Because interpretation plays no part in taoism.
    It is what happens when a human suspends the process of mental interpretation.
    If a human fails to do this, it is no longer taoism at all.