• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tao Te Ching

ch'ang

artist in training
I was just wondering if any of the Taoists here read the Tao Te Ching often, I ask this because I try to make it a point to read it at least once a week since its so short and even though I have read it a thousand times before every time I read it I learn something new or remember some teaching I forgot. Just wanted to see if anyone else does the same thing.

Master Vigil

I carry the Shambhala pocket version translated by John C.H.Wu with me everywhere. Well, as much as I can. Which is pretty much everywhere. :D It's all marked up with notes, and falling apart. But I love it, and will always keep it. Everytime I read it, I learn something new. That's my favorite part about it. I can read it backwards, upside down, or normally, and I still get something out of it.

But remember, also as a Taoist we realize that words are just that. Words. And like everything else finite, they are imperfect, and sometimes useless. :D

turk179

I smell something....
I also have a copy of the John C.H. Wu translation. It has been a while since I have read it but it has been read numerous times. With it being one of my favorite books it has seen better days.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I used to read it quite often before my library was lost. I had several translations, and would compare them.

turk179

I smell something....
Sunstone said:
I used to read it quite often before my library was lost. I had several translations, and would compare them.
I have only had the one translation. Is there much differences in the translations?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In my experience, there can be quite a difference between translations. Especially, between the older tanslations and the newer ones.

anders

Sunstone said:
I experienced some cold shivers on that quote. Losing my books would probably be worse than losing that part of my brain that died in my stroke (which I think hit only places that were best removed) or when I lost my beautiful, very young Irish setter dog (of which I still, after some six years, find it difficult to talk without crying).

Back on topic, I read my Burton Watson: The complete works of Chuang Tzu more often than my DDJ translations. I don't own the Wu version yet, but will go looking for it.