• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tao Te Ching on YT

Yerda

Veteran Member

I've been listening to this while dozing off at night. Book starts around 10 mins 40 mark. Enjoy.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
thx - i haven't listened, but this book has been one of my favorites for years.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
do you have any english translation recommendations?

Not really, the one I have that i like best I got in Beijing about 14 years ago, but I cannot remember the translator, If I can find it I will post it. If memory servers it had no commentary and it was a direct translation to english by a Chinese speaking author.

My wife tells me they're all bad, but then she can read simplified and traditional Chinese characters.

I am looking for another translation

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
do you have any english translation recommendations?

I read a side by side comparison of a beautifully painted but very modern translation (I think it was Ursula Le Guin), and the plain black book by John C.H. Wu, and wound up choosing the latter. It can be hard to understand in places, but the other one sugarcoated along of passages about how governments can misrule, in favor of vague fluffy phrases.

My first version of the Tao te Ching was by Stephen Mitchell. This one is very strange because Stephen Mitchell is Christian or Jewish, and it shows in some of the annotations. All the same, I found this one easily the most understandable. I should see if I still have it...