• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tao Te Ching Ch1 part 1 ~ as I see it ~

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
For me, as a Christian, it is God that provides us with morality. But what I like about part 1 of the poem is that we share the need for The Deity that provides us with morality. :)

It’s my interpretation, ~ as I see it ~ :) (Mawangdui characters; Kroll dictionary)

Tao Te Ching Ch 1 part 1:

As for the belief system that I can speak about;
it considers the customary belief system to be wrong.

道 可 道 也 dao4 ke3 dao4 ye3
< doctrine | can | speak | (GP, 也⋯也) as for >

非 恆 道 也 fei1 heng2 dao4 ye3
< consider wrong | normal | doctrine | (GP) >

As for the moral code that I can speak about;
it considers the customary moral code to be wrong.

名 可 名 也 ming2 ke3 ming2 ye3
< moral | can | denominate | (GP, 也⋯也) as for >

非 恆 名 也 fei1 heng2 ming2 ye3
< consider wrong | normal | moral | (GP) >

The physical world in itself
has no morality;

无 名 wu2 ming2
< lack | moral >

萬 物 之 始 也 wan4 wu4 zhi1 shi3 ye3
< myriad | things in the physical world | its | origin | (GP) >

it’s the Mother of mankind [Dao]
that provides us with morality.

有 名 you3 ming2
< provides with/has/is | moral >

萬物 之 母 也 wan4wu4 zhi1 mu3 ye3
< ten thousand wight | its | mother [ch25 名unknown, 曰Dao] | (GP) >

The only problem above is the transliteration pf 'Mother' in

it’s the Mother of mankind [Dao]

All religions describe a 'Source' some call God(s)and in Daoism, it is the 'Dao..' All religions have words and concepts for God or Gods that are constrained by the culture and time of origin of the scriptures. and cannot define nor limit the Omnipotent, All-powerful All=knowing Source; of all existence. I believe this is a problem of the Abrahamic religions like Judaism, and Christianity.

As a Baha'i, I believe in the universal 'Source' that cannot be defined nor limited to the claim of any one religion or division thereof.

All religions including the most ancient scripture like the ancient Gilgamesh epic contribute to the moral philosophy and it evolves and matures over time. For example, Ancient scripture like the Bible allows slavery, but the Baha'i scripture today forbids any versions of slavery.

We all can agree that the 'Source' called the Dao or God are three letter words, maybe four or more in other languages.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
@shunyadragon - Thank you very much for replying, much appreciated.
Especially your comment re 母 , I will think about it deeply.

Further note: I prefer the word 'Source; in the following translation:

it’s the 'Source' of mankind [Dao]

Mother here is likely symbolic of being the 'Source.' The nature of the Tao is neither male nor female and is only known as a reflection of the attributes of our existence and humanity including morality, which in and of themselves not the Dao.

Thea

account deleted
Further note: I prefer the word 'Source; in the following translation:

it’s the 'Source' of mankind [Dao]

Mother here is likely symbolic of being the 'Source.' The nature of the Tao is neither male nor female and is only known as a reflection of the attributes of our existence and humanity including morality, which in and of themselves not the Dao.
There are many characters for ‘source’, I think it is significant that Laozi chose 母 , the Mother.

Thea

account deleted
… All religions describe a 'Source' some call God(s)and in Daoism, it is the 'Dao..' All religions have words and concepts for God or Gods that are constrained by the culture and time of origin of the scriptures. …
Daoism has a female ‘Source’, Dao. Christianity has a male ‘Source’, God.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Daoism has a female ‘Source’, Dao. Christianity has a male ‘Source’, God.

The use of 'Mother is more symbolic here as the 'Source,' and not the 'Source' is female because the nature of the 'Source' in Taoism is unknown to human speculation;

Though in Chinese Buddhism the Divinity Guanyin is the female Divinity of compassion also respected in Taoism. Originally a Hindu male or gender-neutral Divinity became a female Divinity of compassion in China.

Thea

account deleted
The use of 'Mother is more symbolic here as the 'Source,' and not the 'Source' is female because the nature of the 'Source' in Taoism is unknown to human speculation;

And so it is too for the ‘Father’ in Christianity, God is ‘spirit’ and a ‘mystery’.

The different choices of metaphor (Daoism ‘Mother’; Christianity ‘Father’) shows Daoism and Christianity to be very different belief systems.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
And so it is too for the ‘Father’ in Christianity, God is ‘spirit’ and a ‘mystery’.

The different choices of metaphor (Daoism ‘Mother’; Christianity ‘Father’) shows Daoism and Christianity to be very different belief systems.

I disagree that from the fallible human perspective the 'Source' some call God(s) can be defined from any one religious perspective from another. What humans perceive are 'metaphors' of attributes of God such as Mother or Father and not the infinite and eternal 'Source.'

The use of 'Mother' in Taoism is only describing one attribute of the 'Source.' In Taoism and the Baha'i Faith, the 'Source' is unknowable and undefinable from the human perspective.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In Christianity it is significant that God is called the Father.

No more significant that the infinite attributes of the 'Source' and our physical existence including the Mother all on balance. The symbol of Yin and Yang in Chinese philosophy and Taoism is the Yang male (Father) and the female (Mother) is the Yin in balance in our existence.

Yin and yang - Wikipedia

The Two Aspects of Taiji, also known as the yin-yang symbol;
yin-dark on the right and yang-light on the left.

In Chinese cosmology, the universe creates itself out of a primary chaos of material energy, organized into the cycles of yin and yang and formed into objects and lives. Yin is the receptive and yang the active principle, seen in all forms of change and difference such as the annual cycle (winter and summer), the landscape (north-facing shade and south-facing brightness), sexual coupling (female and male), the formation of both men and women as characters and sociopolitical history (disorder and order).

Last edited:

Thea

account deleted
I disagree that from the fallible human perspective the 'Source' some call God(s) can be defined from any one religious perspective from another. What humans perceive are 'metaphors' of attributes of God such as Mother or Father and not the infinite and eternal 'Source.'

The use of 'Mother' in Taoism is only describing one attribute of the 'Source.' In Taoism and the Baha'i Faith, the 'Source' is unknowable and undefinable from the human perspective.

As I said already:

Thea

account deleted
No more significant that the infinite attributes of the 'Source' and our physical existence including the Mother all on balance. The symbol of Yin and Yang in Chinese philosophy and Taoism is the Yang male (Father) and the female (Mother) is the Yin in balance in our existence.

Yin and yang - Wikipedia

The Two Aspects of Taiji, also known as the yin-yang symbol;
yin-dark on the right and yang-light on the left.

In Chinese cosmology, the universe creates itself out of a primary chaos of material energy, organized into the cycles of yin and yang and formed into objects and lives. Yin is the receptive and yang the active principle, seen in all forms of change and difference such as the annual cycle (winter and summer), the landscape (north-facing shade and south-facing brightness), sexual coupling (female and male), the formation of both men and women as characters and sociopolitical history (disorder and order).

Your description of Daoism shows it to be an entirely different belief system to Christianity.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Your description of Daoism shows it to be an entirely different belief system to Christianity.

From the fallible human perspective, differences reflect the culture and time the scripture was revealed. There are indeed differences between religions and within religions like the conflicting views of God between divisions of Christianity.

The Bible describes an ancient very anthropomorphic God, and many Christians do not accept that view today. The God of the Old Testament is described differently from the God of the New Testament.

Do you consider the differences from your perspective to define God in terms of the differences you see? Could you define God that specifically? Considering the hundreds of thousands of years of human history around the globe is it reasonable to assume God only reveal God's Revelation to only on tribal people in the history of humanity? Considering this problem the view that God cannot be specifically described and defined from any one human cultural perspective.

Last edited:

Thea

account deleted
Are you saying that different fallible human descriptions cannot refer to the same God?
I said that Daoism and Christianity are different belief systems. Daoism worships the ‘Mother’, and Christianity the ‘Father’.

Last edited:

Thea

account deleted
… Logos (John 1) as Tao.

The character 道 (Tao) is not necessarily related to Daoism. ‘Tao’ is a conceptual term used by all schools of thought (Tao, the Way, as image suggesting how things actually exist).

Last edited: