• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tantra, the Ritual Circle

Kowalski

Tantra is clearly very old and probably as old as the Indus valley civilisation. And clearly, worship of the Goddess predates patriarchal society, so here goes.

The ritual of collective sexual union as practised by those who follow the left hand way of Tantra is performed in a ritual circle known as Chakra-Puja. The circle has two outer partion walls. The inner of these two walls has sixty four niches, each to hold a different female figure of a Yogini, a female student of Yoga.
In the Puncha-Makara rite, the nude female worshipped is no longer regarded as flesh and blood but as a Goddess, as Shakti who embodies the Female fundemental forces of the Cosmos.
The man and woman encounter themselves in one another. By doing so, they more completely relate to the inner self. The activity of seeing into another through the various ritual acts climaxing in sexo-yogic-asana immerses the group into an anonymity in which personal ego-self is dissolved for the acceptance of the common goal. The participants are imbued with divinity until both male and female acheive an existential awareness of unity similiar to the symbol of the circle. " So ham: I am he" or " So ham: I am she, for there is no difference between me and thee".

It should be noted that in the left hand path of Tantra, the rituals are carried out literally. In the right hand path, the rituals are carried out metaphorically.

Cheers

K