• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking With God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Reasons...

I believe God (or rather, Jesus, since God is largely beyond human comprehension while Jesus is the part of God we can connect with) talks to us not by some voice in your head but something as simple as a person talking to us on social media.

Well, through others? These others must have some kind of connection then don't they?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
trusting a prophet is more to …..the manner of thought
which is yours

if you don't' follow a Prophet
it's should be that you found a reason ….not to

so I make the assumption your reasoning is greater than the Prophet

care to share?

Having been convinced to have a "connection" with God, I can understand how anyone might be convinced of such a connection. There is a lot of current science behind how the unconscious mind operates not known in ancient times. Without this information, there is not a lot of reason to question a dream/vision an experience of having a connection to the all-mighty.

So I suspect these prophets were sincere in their beliefs as well but that doesn't mean they were right.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Having been convinced to have a "connection" with God, I can understand how anyone might be convinced of such a connection. There is a lot of current science behind how the unconscious mind operates not known in ancient times. Without this information, there is not a lot of reason to question a dream/vision an experience of having a connection to the all-mighty.

So I suspect these prophets were sincere in their beliefs as well but that doesn't mean they were right.
so....I look to the teachings of my Inspiration

the parables of the Carpenter
and the outstanding manner He dealt with His followers and the people at hand

whether He had a personal mind to mind with God
is between Him and God

for now.....it's up to me to decide the manner and method
of MY mind and heart

for example.....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
is a manner and a method

it is also fair warning

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
so....I look to the teachings of my Inspiration

the parables of the Carpenter
and the outstanding manner He dealt with His followers and the people at hand

whether He had a personal mind to mind with God
is between Him and God

for now.....it's up to me to decide the manner and method
of MY mind and heart

for example.....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
is a manner and a method

it is also fair warning

It is hard to say with any certainty where we would be without the Torah/Bible/Quran. I learn to read from a an encyclopedia set of bible stories. I remember some but my unconscious mind, I am told remembers it all. Hard to know what one's unconscious mind is doing with all that information.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is hard to say with any certainty where we would be without the Torah/Bible/Quran. I learn to read from a an encyclopedia set of bible stories. I remember some but my unconscious mind, I am told remembers it all. Hard to know what one's unconscious mind is doing with all that information.
yeah...I grew up reading the World Book version encyclopedia
almost the whole darn thing
and so......school was a breeze

as for the bible....I lean to king James
the old English....from whence comest thou

as for the foundation of our minds
I believe our dreams are the clue

some of my visions are rather.....sharp

Thief

Rogue Theologian
in other threads.....I mention a car accident
when I was sooooo much younger

usually I skip over the details moments before the impact

and for now....let me just say
I FELT it coming
I looked for the seat belt (it was on the floorboard behind the seat)
I locked my door
I put my back to the door
and then started sliding down in the seat

the driver wanted to know if I felt alright
yeah sure

someone ran a stop sign in front of us
no way to see that coming
and no one hit the brakes

60 to 0 is believed to be a sure kill

I walked away

I do have one outstanding scar
one dead tooth

but that impact was enough to have crushed my face
broken my skull
my neck
taken my head OFF of my shoulders
and of course.....none of that happened

I did not feel pain for an hour

kinda weird putting your fingers into busted flesh and say to yourself
that should hurt like HELL

angel at my shoulder?...….whispering what to do
didn't hear it
but I did what I did...…......and lived for having done so

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was wondering if anyone on RF feel they have been in some form of communication with God and how this takes place?

Not that I want to be judgemental, I probably will and I'd imagine you can expect a lot of judgemental replies.
Sorry,

I used to have conversations with God and believed I got replies. I 100% believed that God could and would communicate with anyone who'd actually listen.

I no longer believe this because of... reasons.

IDK, I don't think I would have been religious for as long as I was verification of God's existence. God was real because God had a real presence. I don't think I would have accepted the idea that God only communicated through "prophets". Requires too much trust and authoritarianism.

I assume people do accept this secondary source of information about God. I couldn't do it.

I believe God speaks to me in many ways and sometimes that is a conversation. Sometimes it is just a timely word. Sometimes it is lengthy teaching. In addition God speaks through my words and since I hear them also, you could say I hear Him that way also. Sometimes God will communicate through visions and signs and dreams. Also there is a word for it but God will quicken a Biblical word.

i believe if you truly can hear from God you can be judgmental but if not your judgment will be flawed.

I believe that is necessary. If one does not believe God speaks then one will not listen. We learn that God speaks from the Bible. That was the way it was in Nazareth. Jesus was just a carpenter to them, so not many bothered to go to Him for healing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe God speaks to me in many ways and sometimes that is a conversation. Sometimes it is just a timely word. Sometimes it is lengthy teaching. In addition God speaks through my words and since I hear them also, you could say I hear Him that way also. Sometimes God will communicate through visions and signs and dreams. Also there is a word for it but God will quicken a Biblical word.

i believe if you truly can hear from God you can be judgmental but if not your judgment will be flawed.

I believe that is necessary. If one does not believe God speaks then one will not listen. We learn that God speaks from the Bible. That was the way it was in Nazareth. Jesus was just a carpenter to them, so not many bothered to go to Him for healing.

I believed I had a message from God. It was a good message. A message of hope and love and certainty. However it was a contradiction to what many claimed was the true message of God and I thought, why should anyone believe me over all these others who also claim to know "God's will"? They claim what God wants and how God wants us to act. You'd think those who claim to know God's will would be a little more consistent in their message.

Many have claimed and do claim to be the second coming. Some choose to believe them as well, many do not. How will you/do you choose? How much certainty will you have in your choice.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believed I had a message from God. It was a good message. A message of hope and love and certainty. However it was a contradiction to what many claimed was the true message of God and I thought, why should anyone believe me over all these others who also claim to know "God's will"? They claim what God wants and how God wants us to act. You'd think those who claim to know God's will would be a little more consistent in their message.

Many have claimed and do claim to be the second coming. Some choose to believe them as well, many do not. How will you/do you choose? How much certainty will you have in your choice.

I believe a great many think they hear from God when they don't. The Bible tells us to test every spirit. I believe you can't assume you are right or that the others are right. Usually if someone disagrees I leave it in God's hands to inform them if He wishes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I used to think God talked to me.

A lot of reasons would be including, but not limited to, the mixed messages I get from members of the church as to what God said about this and that.

There has never ever been any type of message that was received across the board by God.

That alone was a red flag for me that the voice people hear is part of their own personality, and I found out that's not such a bad thing.

I don't even need to pretend there is a god anymore.

I don't pretend to know anything about God anymore. I think perhaps it was only my unconscious mind that wanted to convince me otherwise. What I am certain of is the unconscious mind is capable of playing both the part of God and the Devil.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe a great many think they hear from God when they don't. The Bible tells us to test every spirit. I believe you can't assume you are right or that the others are right. Usually if someone disagrees I leave it in God's hands to inform them if He wishes.

How do you test a spirit?

GoodbyeDave

The original question was about talking to (or, presumably, hearing from) God. 54 replies and no-one has considered gods. Lots of polytheists have been spoken to by gods, while hardly anyone (except in unverifiable ancient texts) claims to have heard from God. Draw the obvious conclusion.

How do you test? By asking whether what was said was consistent with what one already knows about the god in question. It is also more convincing if the god is not just telling you what you want to hear!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe it is difficult to say. Supposedly American Indians talked to God without any known source but is it the one true God they talked to or an imaginary one?

Like Hinduism, paganism, and other god(s) related faiths, I would say real not imaginary. God doesn't have one definition and definitely not abrahamic. So, like American Indians, we'd have to go by their criteria of truth not ours.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What evidence other than his vision of 'Maid of Heaven'. I leave it to you to decide if it is a fraud or psychosis.

That is exactly what Baha'u'llah has asked each of us to do. To be just in our search. He has offered His person and life and the Word given as an example and standard. Also as a gift, offered the person and life of His son Abdul'baha as our perfect example as to how to live life by the Word Baha'u'llah offered from God.

Regards Tony

amorphous_constellation

Our culture , which is based in part on the bible, is suspicious of communicators with the divine. The general view is that it is supposed to be rare and hard, and even the more bonafide biblical communicators seem to have been treated with extreme suspicion. I think that this got worse as biblical history progressed , as early communication became codified and more and more difficult to amend. I would think that this seems to be why the book finally ended, as a sort of critical mass tends to be reached as more and more communicators produce a locked body of 'unequivocal truths'

So we might contrast this with my view , that nature is our 'god,' and that the buck stops with nature. The problem with this, is that it of course severally questions the first principles of our civilization, principally this idea that we should automatically look beyond the garden of eden itself for some other craftsman within it. (the biblical god) That nature itself is the craftsman is completely left out of ancient biblical consideration. The snake and the two trees for example, are objects that that writer instantly colors with mistrust. Other parts of nature are reduced to a tool role, much of it is there merely to help man manipulate the world with self-concern

Nature is waiting for us to stop looking above and behind it, in my view. But it is open to communication: it is constantly trying to speak to us, all around us. It will patiently wait for a civilization that wants a relationship with it , and that future civilization may come to look on this age as being generally godless. The common perception of us being its 'owners' will have to change at some point, along with the view that it cannot sense or think in ways beyond what we can. It gave the human species obvious special powers though, and as long as the species lives, there is some hope that it can get back in touch with this larger mind of nature that birthed us

Last edited: