• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking Snakes, Donkeys and Bushes

Earthling

David Henson
Now, everyone who has read the Genesis account knows that the text, if taken literally at face value, would read that the serpent in the garden of Eden who deceived Eve was talking. But, at the same time we all know that not to be the case. Atheists seem to have a difficult time with distinguishing the difference between the literal and the figurative. I personally think this is a mock stupidity in order to make a point, for example, saying that the Bible has talking snakes when it is abundantly clear, even to a simple child, that it was Satan, not the literal serpent, that was speaking to Eve. The account is given in her perspective so the snake seems to be talking.

The same principle applies to Balaam's a s s and the burning bush. Numbers 22:28 / 2 Peter 2:16 / Exodus 3:2-5

In all of these cases it is't the snake, or the a s s or the bush that are speaking.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yet the Bible clearly says that Balaam's Donkey spoke. It may have had assistance, but if you read the story it does say that the donkey spoke, not that Balaam thought that he heard the donkey talk.

I guess that one does not take the Bible literally when it is obviously stupidly wrong. Amazing that they do not realize the Bible is stupidly wrong in regards to the flood myth.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Now, everyone who has read the Genesis account knows that the text, if taken literally at face value, would read that the serpent in the garden of Eden who deceived Eve was talking. But, at the same time we all know that not to be the case.
You might be surprised by how many people don't recognize Genesis for the primitive fiction that it is.

I thought you were one of them. How did I mistake you for a person who believes that Genesis is true and evolution is false?
Tom

Jumi

You can find literalists among atheists and theists. In my opinion literalist readings lead to rather poor results in general.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Now, everyone who has read the Genesis account knows that the text, if taken literally at face value, would read that the serpent in the garden of Eden who deceived Eve was talking. But, at the same time we all know that not to be the case. Atheists seem to have a difficult time with distinguishing the difference between the literal and the figurative. I personally think this is a mock stupidity in order to make a point, for example, saying that the Bible has talking snakes when it is abundantly clear, even to a simple child, that it was Satan, not the literal serpent, that was speaking to Eve. The account is given in her perspective so the snake seems to be talking.

The same principle applies to Balaam's a s s and the burning bush. Numbers 22:28 / 2 Peter 2:16 / Exodus 3:2-5

In all of these cases it is't the snake, or the a s s or the bush that are speaking.

Kind of reminds me of Aesop's Fables, except for the burning bush. I've seen a burning bush myself but can't really say it was doing any talking.

fox-and-goat.jpg

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Now, everyone who has read the Genesis account knows that the text, if taken literally at face value, would read that the serpent in the garden of Eden who deceived Eve was talking. But, at the same time we all know that not to be the case.
Why? Is the Bible lying to us?

Atheists seem to have a difficult time with distinguishing the difference between the literal and the figurative.
Yeah, like only those absurd events that bear on one's faith are to be taken literally, such as the resurrection, while all others, such as a talking snake or donkey are figurative,

Need determines truth. How crafty. :rolleyes:

I personally think this is a mock stupidity in order to make a point, for example, saying that the Bible has talking snakes when it is abundantly clear, even to a simple child, that it was Satan, not the literal serpent, that was speaking to Eve.
I personally think this is a mock stupidity in order to save the veracity of the Bible, and is simply another form of cherry picking.

But hey, whatever lets one sleep at night, I guess. :shrug:

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

So the implication is that they got possessed or something and then started talking? Even without adequate vocal cords to make a coherent sentence?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If you are talking to a donkey, a snake or a bush then I'd say you have some really good hallucinogens. :D

I remember back in my younger days waking up on the floor with two cats staring at me. I also distinctly
remember one cat looking over at the other one and saying, "Man, he's weird". Sorta set me on the right track.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Apologetics of the most insulting kind,. But what more could one expect?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You can find literalists among atheists and theists. In my opinion literalist readings lead to rather poor results in general.

So what you are saying is don't read a book (eg the bible) as written, make it up as you go along as you want otherwise it's not as good?

Earthling

David Henson
Why? Is the Bible lying to us?

No.

Yeah, like only those absurd events that bear on one's faith are to be taken literally, such as the resurrection, while all others, such as a talking snake or donkey, are figurative,

Need determines truth. How crafty. :rolleyes:

No, unlike evolution those with faith don't need to deceive themselves.

I personally think this is a mock stupidity in order to save the veracity of the Bible, and is simply another form of cherry picking.

But hey, whatever lets one sleep at night, I guess. .

Let/s say I was writing a screenplay for an episode of sitcom that involved a ventriloquist. When writing a scene in which the puppet is speaking to another character do I use the puppet's name or the ventriloquist's name?

You see how simple these things are when you're not trying to be a smart ***?

Earthling

David Henson
Kind of reminds me of Aesop's Fables, except for the burning bush. I've seen a burning bush myself but can't really say it was doing any talking.

Am I too assume that you find my interpretation untrustworthy due to it's difficulty? Because it isn't difficult at all, it's obvious. If I ask any idiot on the street who tempted eve I don't think I will get one who foolishly would answer "the snake."

Earthling

David Henson

Is the implication being that anything supernatural or that disagrees with modern science is a poor result?