• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking our faith for granted (The importance of the Eucharist)

Mark Dohle

Taking our faith for granted

The emptiness of My churches apart from the hours of the liturgical offices is an indictment, first of all, of My priests, and then, of My faithful. My Eucharistic presence meets with coldness, with indifference, and with a chilling ingratitude, even on the part of My priests and of consecrated souls. They fail to recognize in the mystery of the Most Holy Eucharist the pearl of great price, the treasure once

hidden in the field but now offered freely to all who would partake of its inexhaustible riches.1 I am left alone in a world

A Benedictine Monk. In Sinu Jesu: When Heart Speaks to Heart--
The Journal of a Priest at Prayer (Kindle Locations 3984-3988). Angelico Press. Kindle Edition.

++++++++++​

I have learned that one’s faith is important, not to be taken for granted. We live in a world, at least in the 1st world, where faith is mocked and those who believe are seen as weak, irrational, and filled with the fear of facing reality. It is of course nonsense, but we all have prejudicial ideas about others who believe in a different way. It is built into our DNA I believe. Christians can be just as ‘silly’ as some atheist, or other Non-Catholic Christians, who actually hate the church I belong to, the Catholic Church.

In the Catholic Church, as well as all of the older branches of Christianity, place a great deal of importance on the Eucharist, at least it is in our theology books, and often by the writings of our mystics, and doctors of the church. Yet, in reality, more often than not, this sacrament, is not really thought about much by Catholic’s in general. It is a great gift, the Eucharist, yet often downplayed because it is taken for granted.

My mother was not a Catholic. One day when I was a teenager, she said something to me. “If I really believed that Jesus is present in His full divinity in the Eucharist, I would spend every free moment in one of your churches. Yet she continued, they are empty, except when some sort of liturgical service is going on, even then, most seemed bored or distracted”. My mother, I believe, was a mystic, and took the life of the spirit seriously, just not Christians for the most part.

The Eucharist points to the deep love and intimacy that Christ Jesus wishes for all of mankind, without regard to one’s past. For we are shown the depth of the mercy of God when we read about how he suffered, yet forgave all. Yet, faith is necessary for most of us, for me for sure, and it is not always easy. There are some who have had experiences so great, that faith is not really needed since they have seen. Yet, subjective experiences cannot be proven, except by the one who has them.

The Eucharist is a healing sacrament, and the deeper one's feelings of inner fragmentation, and alienation from God, and others, the more profoundly important it is for them to seek Christ Jesus in this sacrament if they are Catholic.

I have learned to respect all faiths, for those on any path towards God, are seekers, and seekers rejoice when the truth is found out. I do know that many mock my faith, and have only contempt for me because of that. So what? Those who have faith, need to study what they believe and seek to go deeper into the reality of the call of grace, that is offered to all. It is free of charge, all one needs is to seek the Lord, or to seek the truth, and grace will do the rest. All that is needed is a small flame of love, it will increase by the love of God that rushes in when we call on his name. Those who seek, even if at the very beginning, love God to their full capacity, which increases for eternity, a journey that never ends. We are filled and arrive, and are empty and just beginning our journey, all at the same time. Love is never old, nor can it be taken for granted once this love is tasted, it increases our thirst for God, and slowly we grow.

There is nothing that can separate us from the love of God, except our own will. Once we understand that we do choose, it can give us great freedom and a feeling of dignity. God’s love only wishes us to become freer and filled with trust. We are called to incarnate Christ Jesus in this life, we are all called to become food for others, to allow our hearts to grow, and not to fear the suffering that comes with loving others. In the meantime, those who are on the path towards God can forget that we are never to judge the worth of another human being but to pray for all. Actions can be judged, and perhaps wrongdoers have to be dealt with, but their true worth is not for us to weigh, not even our own.—Br.MD

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Hello.

"We are called to incarnate Christ Jesus in this life, we are all called to become food for others, to allow our hearts to grow, and not to fear the suffering that comes with loving others. In the meantime, those who are on the path towards God can forget that we are never to judge the worth of another human being but to pray for all. Actions can be judged, and perhaps wrongdoers have to be dealt with, but their true worth is not for us to weigh, not even our own."

Wonderful. I think Catholics and Protestants could all agree on this.

God Bless

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
faith is mocked and those who believe are seen as weak, irrational, and filled with the fear of facing reality
Thank you. Exactly this is what my father said to me the last time I saw him

we all have prejudicial ideas about others who believe in a different way. It is built into our DNA I believe
Agreed that many have prejudicial ideas about others believing different. Not all, my Master for sure not. Babies also not IMO. To tell it's in DNA gives excuse not to change.
I do not agree that it is built into our DNA. Even at age 10 I debated my mother that it would be unfair of God if "only" Christians have a chance to get into heaven"
My Master emphasizes "There is one religion, the religion of Love" ... "All religions lead to God" ... "No one has the right to criticize the faith/feeling of others" [acts can be criticized]
My master also added "Evangelizing causes atheism" and He said "lovingly respecting God's creation is sufficient for God" [atheist/humanist/...etc included]

Last edited:

stvdv

I have learned to respect all faiths, for those on any path towards God, are seekers, and seekers rejoice when the truth is found out.
Thank you. Good to hear and wonderfully said. This is, I think, the first time I see a christian write this down literally. If all Christians speak out this world peace must follow IMO

5 years ago I went to a Baptist church (after 20 years not) and challenged Jesus "If there is 1 humble Christian not belittling/demeaning other religions/Masters I continue going for 3 years. Coincidentally that day there was a priest and when I asked the above question he agreed BUT added `I might be the only one in this church`, I only preach here once a year". Later the regular priest told me that out of the 4000 Christian all believe that other religions are wrong and lead to hell.

[I was foolish to ask Jesus for only 1 Christian. Not even specifying "regular visitor". But I kept my promise and stayed ca. 4 years in this church, even knowing all 4000 belittle]

I do know that many mock my faith, and have only contempt for me because of that. So what?
Actions can be judged, and perhaps wrongdoers have to be dealt with, but their true worth is not for us to weigh, not even our own.

If more Christians stop belittling others' faith/feeling others will show you respect too. Soul level "faith judgment" is the worst violence [Bible punishes Blasphemy by death]. All people want their faith to be respected. Catholics/Christians created this themselves. So far 99.9% Christians I met mock/belittle other religions.

You are the first Christian I met who openly and unasked writes this down. Reading this, written by a Catholic, gives me a positive feeling about Catholicism. When Catholics stop judging others' faiths and talk positive about those faiths the negativity around Catholicism will vanish quickly. Not my invention, Jesus said it in the Bible "Judge not".

Last edited:

stvdv

The Eucharist points to the deep love and intimacy that Christ Jesus wishes for all of mankind, without regard to one’s past.
I believe we are all children of God, hence "judge the child then you judge God". My goal is to make every bite/drink/thought/word Eucharist.

Mark Dohle

Thank you. Good to hear and wonderfully said. This is, I think, the first time I see a christian write this down literally. If all Christians speak out this world peace must follow IMO

5 years ago I went to a Baptist church (after 20 years not) and challenged Jesus "If there is 1 humble Christian not belittling/demeaning other religions/Masters I continue going for 3 years. Coincidentally that day there was a priest and when I asked the above question he agreed BUT added `I might be the only one in this church`, I only preach here once a year". Later the regular priest told me that out of the 4000 Christian all believe that other religions are wrong and lead to hell.

[I was foolish to ask Jesus for only 1 Christian. Not even specifying "regular visitor". But I kept my promise and stayed ca. 4 years in this church, even knowing all 4000 belittle]

If more Christians stop belittling others' faith/feeling others will show you respect too. Soul level "faith judgment" is the worst violence [Bible punishes Blasphemy by death]. All people want their faith to be respected. Catholics/Christians created this themselves. So far 99.9% Christians I met mock/belittle other religions.

You are the first Christian I met who openly and unasked writes this down. Reading this, written by a Catholic, gives me a positive feeling about Catholicism. When Catholics stop judging others' faiths and talk positive about those faiths the negativity around Catholicism will vanish quickly. Not my invention, Jesus said it in the Bible "Judge not".
Thank you for your kind comments. Christians also damn one another to hell......it is strange. Though many Christians think as I do. When I was a young Cathlic, this attitude was instilled in us, at least in the catholic school I went to.

Peace
Mark