• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a Stray Cat to the Vet

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Bless you. Put food and water down. Crouch so you don't look intimidating. Don't try to approach too close. Take your lead from the cat. Do you have a carrier? If so put a blanket in it where the cat can get to it, to get accustomed to it.

We've only ever had strays. Once they're in you can't get the buggers out!

Thanks! I don't have a carrier yet, but I'll look into getting one.

The cat is friendly and also used to me (since I was the one who often put the food down for her), so hopefully trapping her won't be a hassle.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If you succeed. And even if the cat is ready to return to the wild you might want to keep it caged up for a day. The vet will almost certainly administer a sedative before taking the cat out. It can take a while for those to wear off. You might also as well have the standard pet vaccinations done at that time.

Even at our poorest, we still spent money on food for stray cats, and occasionally vet bills.

I've got a couple of random strays/cherished pets in my bed right now!

@Debater Slayer , I've trapped and taken several stray cats to the vet in my time. It will make a difference what tools you have available, and what your relationship with the cat is. Also, how bad the limp, and how long its been going on might make a difference on if you should interfere here. If she's a real wild girl, and the limp is slight, I might let it go for a few more days, and see if it gets worse. If it does, then there's the business of trapping...

If you have an animal trap or a kennel/carrier/pet taxi, this will be much easier. A trap will work best, but anything she can go into without getting out of will work. If you're using a kennel or other cage like item, you'll need to be near enough to shut the door after she enters. We've rigged things up with strings(Bugs Bunny style) when the animal wouldn't allow us to get close enough. Once you get her in, you're good to go.

Personally, my biggest concern is infection. You may need some help if there's any wound with infection; antibiotics take a bit to be administered. A break is possible, but I can't see a feral on the go leaving a bandaged wound alone. I am not sure how vets work over there, but you could ask if there's a possibility they could keep her there and do the meds for you, and you pick her up and re-release her when the round is over, if necessary.

Also, if you manage to get her into the vet, and can afford to do so, consider having her spayed!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. This thread has made me sick to my stomach, and I'll be leaving it after this post.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep all of that in mind.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Any cat rehoming places? Or offer the cat online or somehow?

There are some shelters in my city, but almost all of them are overcrowded and stressed. There's a website I emailed that lists animals for adoption, so I might contact them again after taking care of the cat's medical issues.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
D
Don't get bit!
You can catch numerous diseases from wild cats.

Yes, I'll definitely make sure to wear gloves or other protective material before approaching her in the trap. I highly doubt she'll bite, though, since she's quite friendly and also used to me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
@Debater Slayer something i just remembered, blink...

Cats blink slowly to show they are friendly. You may find that blinking gives her more confidence to approach you and for you to approach her.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, I'll definitely make sure to wear gloves or other protective material before approaching her in the trap. I highly doubt she'll bite, though, since she's quite friendly and also used to me.

You could possibly take the cat to the vet in the trap. If you do so I would also take a cat carrier along for the trip home. The vets can administer a shot of sedative while the cat is still in the trap. They can treat her and put her in what is hopefully a more comfortable carrier for the trip back. No risk of the cat getting away or of being bitten if you do that.

We Never Know

No Slack
You could do with getting your hands on a cat catcher cage. If there are any cat charity's nearby they may lend or rent one to you. Or buy a cheap one from amazon thought they won't be that cheap.

Place food in the cage and wait.

View attachment 69942

Once caught try to get to the vets as soon as possible to cut down on stress the cat is go to suffer.

Its a live trap. Great for cats, possum, raccoon, etc. I have three of them

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
First thing I would do would be to build some kind of a shelter so that the cat has a warm dry, place to recuperate.

A cardboard box with a plastic tarp over it would probably work. Just throw in a couple of blankets.

My brother built a little house for a stray cat in his backyard. To help keep it warm (this was in Chicago) he hooked up an electric light bulb covered in aluminum foil. That's all it takes to heat up a small place. Kind of sounds like a fire hazard to me though, which is ironic since my brother was a firefighter his whole life. :p

Luring it into a new home would probably be easier than trying to trap it, and it might give you a chance to get a closer look at the wound.

I agree with what @JustGeorge said: it may not be all that serious. Could just be a thorn or a piece of glass in it's paw. Pretty much any kind of injury will cause a four-legged animal to keep its weight off the injured leg.

If it is something minor like that, and if the cat trusts you enough, you might be able to take care of the wound yourself.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer something i just remembered, blink...

Cats blink slowly to show they are friendly. You may find that blinking gives her more confidence to approach you and for you to approach her.

I didn't know that, but it's quite useful to know. Thanks!

You could possibly take the cat to the vet in the trap. If you do so I would also take a cat carrier along for the trip home. The vets can administer a shot of sedative while the cat is still in the trap. They can treat her and put her in what is hopefully a more comfortable carrier for the trip back. No risk of the cat getting away or of being bitten if you do that.

Yes, I wasn't planning to let her out of the trap before reaching the vet. I think it would be both safer and quicker to keep her inside during the trip.

First thing I would do would be to build some kind of a shelter so that the cat has a warm dry, place to recuperate.

A cardboard box with a plastic tarp over it would probably work. Just throw in a couple of blankets.

My brother built a little house for a stray cat in his backyard. To help keep it warm (this was in Chicago) he hooked up an electric light bulb covered in aluminum foil. That's all it takes to heat up a small place. Kind of sounds like a fire hazard to me though, which is ironic since my brother was a firefighter his whole life. :p

Luring it into a new home would probably be easier than trying to trap it, and it might give you a chance to get a closer look at the wound.

I agree with what @JustGeorge said: it may not be all that serious. Could just be a thorn or a piece of glass in it's paw. Pretty much any kind of injury will cause a four-legged animal to keep its weight off the injured leg.

If it is something minor like that, and if the cat trusts you enough, you might be able to take care of the wound yourself.

Thanks! I'd build her a place, but I live in an apartment building, which is by far the most common housing arrangement where I live. There's no backyard to keep her in or any other place where I can set up a small shelter for her, hence my considering asking others in my neighborhood if they have room for her during recovery.

I haven't seen her in a couple of days, which worries me. I went out looking for her on our street last night, but I didn't find her. I suppose she could have been hiding somewhere to avoid the cold weather, and I hope that was the case. I'll go looking again, possibly during daytime, if she doesn't visit tomorrow.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't seen her in a couple of days, which worries me. I went out looking for her on our street last night, but I didn't find her. I suppose she could have been hiding somewhere to avoid the cold weather, and I hope that was the case. I'll go looking again, possibly during daytime, if she doesn't visit tomorrow.

If you find her again and manage to catch her, I think you should name her:
"Daesy-Bee Traveldreams" (which is an anagram of "Debater Slayer Saved Me"). :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Update: She showed up again on our doorstep last week. I had become worried because I couldn't find her on our street or inside the building, but she's back and no longer limping at all. I gave her some food to celebrate!

She didn't move much when she saw my brother at the door, but she ran at me and kept meowing as well as circling me when I walked out to see her. That made me grin so much! Cats are such wonderful friends.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Update: She showed up again on our doorstep last week. I had become worried because I couldn't find her on our street or inside the building, but she's back and no longer limping at all. I gave her some food to celebrate!

She didn't move much when she saw my brother at the door, but she ran at me and kept meowing as well as circling me when I walked out to see her. That made me grin so much! Cats are such wonderful friends.
That's wonderful

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It's a ruse to gain your trust.
Then while you sleep, it's crapping in your slippers,
clawing your furniture, puking on your best Persian
rug, knocking over every fragile object on shelf or table,
& plotting to take your breath during slumber when
all its other work is done.

Last edited: