• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a Stray Cat to the Vet

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's a friendly stray cat who has been visiting our place for a few months. Recently, I saw her limping around due to what is clearly a leg injury.

I'm planning to trap and take her to a vet, so I need tips on how to best do that. I have never done something like this before, so I want to make sure I don't do it incorrectly.

Side note: I'm very allergic to cats, so I can't keep her at my place. The trapping will need to happen outside.
Bless you. Put food and water down. Crouch so you don't look intimidating. Don't try to approach too close. Take your lead from the cat. Do you have a carrier? If so put a blanket in it where the cat can get to it, to get accustomed to it.

We've only ever had strays. Once they're in you can't get the buggers out!

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The cat burrito technique worked well for us getting our own cats into a carrier, but it'll be an extra challenge to catch a cat if it's 1) outside and not in a confined space (e.g. a bathroom) and 2) not your cat and not used to you handling her.

If you've got time to do it - like at least several days - and the cat isn't already comfortable with you, I'd suggest getting the cat used to you by giving her treats and the like, waiting until she's comfortable enough with you to pet her. If she won't let you get close to her, you won't be able to do a cat burrito.

If you need to catch her right away and she won't let you get close, one of the live traps like @ChristineM suggested would be your best bet.
This might be even more difficult if the cat is wounded.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
D
Thank you! I'll look up the prices of cat boxes here and see what I find.

As for keeping her, that's unfortunately impossible for me. I live with family, and we're all heavily allergic to cats. We once tried getting a cat and ended up with a terrible reaction even after taking pills.

I'll ask around our neighborhood and see if any shops or the like could have a place for her during recovery. I could bring them the food for her. A lot of them already keep cats inside.
Don't get bit!
You can catch numerous diseases from wild cats.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes that's why you do the humane thing and put down injured animals.
Realistically, it comes down to how much is that animal worth to you?
For a random stray, most people aren't going to dump several hundred or thousands of dollars.
They might do that for a cherished pet.
Your random stray can become someone's cherished pet. eg ours.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you succeed. And even if the cat is ready to return to the wild you might want to keep it caged up for a day. The vet will almost certainly administer a sedative before taking the cat out. It can take a while for those to wear off. You might also as well have the standard pet vaccinations done at that time.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
You would be surprised, thank God.

Even at our poorest, we still spent money on food for stray cats, and occasionally vet bills.

Your random stray can become someone's cherished pet. eg ours.

I've got a couple of random strays/cherished pets in my bed right now!

@Debater Slayer , I've trapped and taken several stray cats to the vet in my time. It will make a difference what tools you have available, and what your relationship with the cat is. Also, how bad the limp, and how long its been going on might make a difference on if you should interfere here. If she's a real wild girl, and the limp is slight, I might let it go for a few more days, and see if it gets worse. If it does, then there's the business of trapping...

If you have an animal trap or a kennel/carrier/pet taxi, this will be much easier. A trap will work best, but anything she can go into without getting out of will work. If you're using a kennel or other cage like item, you'll need to be near enough to shut the door after she enters. We've rigged things up with strings(Bugs Bunny style) when the animal wouldn't allow us to get close enough. Once you get her in, you're good to go.

Personally, my biggest concern is infection. You may need some help if there's any wound with infection; antibiotics take a bit to be administered. A break is possible, but I can't see a feral on the go leaving a bandaged wound alone. I am not sure how vets work over there, but you could ask if there's a possibility they could keep her there and do the meds for you, and you pick her up and re-release her when the round is over, if necessary.

Also, if you manage to get her into the vet, and can afford to do so, consider having her spayed!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. This thread has made me sick to my stomach, and I'll be leaving it after this post.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
One of our boys was very poorly when he turned up. The vet fixed him up a treat and said sternly "I know what you're like; when he's recuperated let him go. It would be cruel to keep him in."
Ha ha ha. Once in a while we prise him off the bed and make him go outside. The horror of fresh air. He can't get back in fast enough!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's hope you never suffer having a cough. A leg injury can get fixed.
Had coughs.
Had leg injuries.
Survived all.
I've also had cats who needed long
recuperation after surgery.

Do you imply opposition to ever
putting down a suffering animal?
If so, how do you justify letting'm
die a slow painful death?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Had coughs.
Had leg injuries.
Survived all.
I've also had cats who needed long
recuperation after surgery.

Do you imply opposition to ever
putting down a suffering animal?
If so, how do you justify letting'm
die a slow painful death?

I don't justify allowing slow painful death, I'm impressed you managed to read that into my words. If the cat cannot be helped by a vet then the best person to do the kindest thing is the vet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't justify allowing slow painful death, I'm impressed you managed to read that into my words. If the cat cannot be helped by a vet then the best person to do the kindest thing is the vet.
Notice that I asked about a possible
inference from what seemed snarky.
No need to be so touchy when I give
you the benefit of doubt.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The cat burrito technique worked well for us getting our own cats into a carrier, but it'll be an extra challenge to catch a cat if it's 1) outside and not in a confined space (e.g. a bathroom) and 2) not your cat and not used to you handling her.

If you've got time to do it - like at least several days - and the cat isn't already comfortable with you, I'd suggest getting the cat used to you by giving her treats and the like, waiting until she's comfortable enough with you to pet her. If she won't let you get close to her, you won't be able to do a cat burrito.

If you need to catch her right away and she won't let you get close, one of the live traps like @ChristineM suggested would be your best bet.

Thanks! I've found some cat carriers on Amazon, so I'll check how long they can take to arrive and go from there.

I really appreciate the helpful responses here so far. This cat actually means something to me, and I hate seeing her suffer. I want to try everything I can to help before even considering giving up.