• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take This Job and Shove It

amorphous_constellation

I only had one job. It was common for people to leave before a year was up. It was almost unheard of that people stayed more than two years. I was there for more than ten.

That's also good too, because an american worker actually only needs about 10 years to qualify for social security. So you should be able to get that probably, when you reach the age to draw, even though it's not much

Now that I'm at about 10 years, I'm becoming tempted to drop out of society somehow until I'm in my 60's. Just travel with my guitar or something, and then drop into the social security office when I get to the right age

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
My first job after uni was in a bookshop, working with no contract ("we'll do one eventually"). Eventually I applied for a job that, shock horror, came with a contract. I was offered it and so went to my bookshop boss to tell them that I would be leaving and to offer to work some sort of notice (given I had no notice to give, since I had been offered no contract to sign, I was simply trying to be civil and fair). Coincidentally she had a letter from my new employer in front of her asking for a reference. I got as far as saying I would be leaving and she snapped "Well I don't know what I'm going to write on this," indicating the letter. This saved me working any proferred notice; I simply turned around and walked out.