• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Take me to church"

SkylarHunter

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the fact that one of the biggest musical hits of the moment is a song called "Take me to church"...

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the fact that one of the biggest musical hits of the moment is a song called "Take me to church"...

If you read the holy scriptures, it tells you that church really means the people.The followers.Not a literal building called a church.
Food for thought......

jonathan180iq

Why?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Take Me To Church"

My lover's got humour
She's the giggle at a funeral
Knows everybody's disapproval
I should've worshipped her sooner

If the heavens ever did speak
She's the last true mouthpiece
Every Sunday's getting more bleak
A fresh poison each week

"We were born sick," you heard them say it

My church offers no absolutes
She tells me, "Worship in the bedroom."
The only heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you

I was born sick
But I love it
Command me to be well
Aaay. Amen. Amen. Amen.

[Chorus 2x:]
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

If I'm a pagan of the good times
My lover's the sunlight
To keep the Goddess on my side
She demands a sacrifice

Drain the whole sea
Get something shiny
Something meaty for the main course
That's a fine-looking high horse
What you got in the stable?
We've a lot of starving faithful

That looks tasty
That looks plenty
This is hungry work

Take me to church
I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knife
Offer me my deathless death

No Masters or Kings
When the Ritual begins
There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin

In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene
Only then I am human
Only then I am clean
Ooh oh. Amen. Amen. Amen.

Take me to church
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death

jonathan180iq

Church is a joke. So he makes his own church by having sex with his girlfriend.
The song is a continual loop of him praising the sin that he and his lady partake of together.
It makes them feel real, and he worships her for the pleasure.

SkylarHunter

Thanks for making that clear. But it still puzzles me that when I hear the song on the radio what sticks in my head is "take me to church". It keeps playing in my mind and it's annoying.

jonathan180iq

That's what makes pop songs stick. You have to come across and repetitive and simple, so that people hum it all the time and easily recognize it.
There are whole studies on poo songs that are very interesting. Just look up a few of them.

EDIT: It's really pretty clever, since the phrase "take me church" in the context of this song means "Let"s bone!"

Last edited:

Yes.....
Romans 16:5 Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia.

Colossians 4:15 Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house.

It should really read this way.

Romans 16:5
and [greet] the congregation that is in their house.Greet my beloved E·paeʹne·tus, who is a firstfruits of Asia for Christ.

MD

qualiaphile
In Greek, the adjective kyriak-ós/-ē/-ón means "belonging, or pertaining, to a Kýrios" ("Lord"), and the usage was adopted by early Christians of the Eastern Mediterranean with regard to anything pertaining to the Lord Jesus Christ: hence "Kyriakós oíkos" ("house of the Lord", church), "Kyriakē" ("[the day] of the Lord", i.e. Sunday), or "Kyriakē proseukhē" (the "[Lord's prayer]").

In standard Greek usage, the older word "ecclesia" (ἐκκλησία, ekklesía, literally "assembly", "congregation", or the place where such a gathering occurs) was retained to signify both a specific edifice of Christian worship (a "church"), and the overall community of the faithful (the "Church"). This usage was also retained in Latin and the languages derived from Latin (e.g. French église, Italian chiesa, Spanish iglesia, Portuguese igreja, etc.), as well as in the Celtic languages (Welsh eglwys, Irish eaglais, Breton iliz, etc.) and in Turkish (kilise).

In the Germanic and some Slavic languages, the word kyriak-ós/-ē/-ón was adopted instead and derivatives formed thereof. In Old English the sequence of derivation started as "cirice" (Ki-ri-keh), then "churche" (kerke), and eventually "church" in its current pronunciation. German Kirche, Scottish kirk, Russian церковь (tserkov), etc., are all similarly derived.

From wikipedia

Tumah

Veteran Member
"eta" is. and it means to throw a party. Translated as "church" in Matthew 16: 18.
I assume the word you meant was "eda" since the word found at Matt 16:18 is "ܠܥܕܬܝ" "ledathi". This word means "to/for my congregation" but in the context of "witnesses" from the root word "ed" meaning "witness".

Awoon

I assume the word you meant was "eda" since the word found at Matt 16:18 is "ܠܥܕܬܝ" "ledathi". This word means "to/for my congregation" but in the context of "witnesses" from the root word "ed" meaning "witness".

LOOK !!! Write Rocco A. Errico and tell him. He's the Aramaic scholar I quote. Rocco A. Errico - Home