1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Synthetic Cell: what are the implications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monta, May 20, 2010.

1. monta

monta .

American scientists have created a cell from scratch, every article on it online that I can see has ended with the ominous phrase, but what are the ethical implications.

What exactly are the ethical implications :confused:

BBC News - Ethics concern over synthetic cell

2. Nepenthe

Nepenthe Tu Stultus Es

I do like the BBC for the most part but sometimes the science reporting is a bit "It's Alive!" fear mongering for my taste. The cell isn't completely artificial- the artificial DNA was placed in a normal cell and the DNA is based on existing DNA- but it's the next best thing and 100% artificial cells are pretty much a done deal. Scientists will be able to build designer bacteria within the next decade and the implications are mind boggling.
    Synthetic Genome+Natural Cell=New Life? | The Loom | Discover Magazine

3. monta

monta .

I am just curious as to why anyone would find it unethical, perhaps it is just blurb.:shrug:

4. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Atheist Capitalist Engineer Libertarian

Is a bacon tree in our future?
    That would be an ethical use.

5. monta

monta .

Not in the immediate future soz, it can make more of the most successful organism in the galaxy, [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Bacteria!

6. Nepenthe

Nepenthe Tu Stultus Es

Meh, there's a buncha bioethicists in the article warning about "playing god" and the usual arguments. There's now a FB page for those opposing the discovery(?). :confused: How the hell does that work?

Any day now:
    [​IMG]

7. monta

monta .

In essence that is a facebook page that wants to create a time machine to stop people playing god, I'm for it :D

8. Nepenthe

Nepenthe Tu Stultus Es

We've already gone over the implications of time-travel Monta. Last time you messed with the time/space continuum you messed up and Ireland ended up declaring itself a Republic. :p

9. monta

monta .

Did you just accuse me of killing Michael Collins? :fight:

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Misanthropic Humanist

The ethical implications is that it's going to freak out a bunch of ignorant, superstitious folks who are frightened by the hubris of science, even though they have no idea what hubris means.

11. Nepenthe

Nepenthe Tu Stultus Es

[​IMG]

12. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Religion:
    Post-Anarchism
    I don't think there are any ethical implications.

Further more, any use of this technology can be used ethically or unethically.

13. Breathe

Breathe Bitter Edgelord :^)

Religion:
    Complicated but fairly consistent
    GOD will smite us down because of the sin!!!111one :eek:

I can't see any ethical implications are, really. Except the possibility of using these cells to grow beings for organ harvesting? I know someone said they would begin creating humanoid slaves to do menial chores because they didn't have a consciousness. I did laugh at this. :D

Probably the worst implication it may have is that it will make Raelianism look more appealing to some people.

14. Mathematician

Mathematician Reason, and reason again

Might be interesting to see if androids will be cellular organisms like us instead of slabs of metal.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted