• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

syncretism and the comparative religions of the world

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Comparing the beliefs of the different religions of the world and the syncretic nature of religion.

What makes a religion syncretic? Which religions may be considered Syncretic religions?

syn·cre·tism - the amalgamation or attempted amalgamation of different religions, cultures, or schools of thought.

arthra

Baha'i
Off hand I would say most religions have some syncretic elements but also can have a unique base that could be innovative... Most religions emerged from an earlier religion and at least start from an earlier understanding... All religions have some kind of social or cultural context from which they emerge.

Christianity emerged from Judaism... Islam respected earlier Jewish and Christian covenants. The Baha'i Faith emerged from Islam a hundred seventy years ago.

As Baha'is we believe God is one and that there is a common Divine Source of inspiration for the major religions... there is also an understanding that laws and practices can vary and relate to the various challenges humanity faces for the time. An article in wikipedia has the following summary:

Bahá'ís believe God to be generally regular and periodic in revealing His will to mankind through messengers/prophets, which are named Manifestations of God. Each messenger in turn establishes a covenant and founds a religion. This process of revelation, according to the Bahá'í writings, is also never ceasing,[1] which is contrary to many other belief systems that believe in a finality of their prophet/messenger. The general theme of the successive and continuous religions founded by Manifestations of God is that there is an evolutionary tendency, and that each Manifestation of God brings a larger measure of revelation (or religion) to humankind than the previous one.[4] The differences in the revelation brought by the Manifestations of God is stated to be not inherent in the characteristics of the Manifestation of God, but instead attributed to the various worldly, societal and human factors;[4] these differences are in accordance with the "conditions" and "varying requirements of the age" and the "spiritual capacity" of humanity.[4] These differences are seen to be needed since human society has slowly and gradually evolved through higher stages of unification from the family to tribes and then nations.[4]

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There are elements in common in all religions and successive Revelations such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam share beliefs by their natural cultural heritage.

Syncretism by definition is more the amalgamation of beliefs from divergent religions and cultures. A classic example is Sikhism.

"Belief: Sikhism is a monotheistic religion, and the basic Sikh belief is represented in the phrase Ik Onkar meaning “One God.” 2. History: Sikhism was founded in the Punjab region in India in the 15th century by Guru Nanak Dev. Sikhism broke from Hinduism due, in part, to its rejection of the caste system."

Sikhism is a distinct blend of Hinduism and Islam. With distinct traditions, beliefs, and rituals from both religions.

Last edited:

outlawState

Deism is dead
Syncretism can occur in two principle ways (a) the admixing of old pagan religious elements into faith, such as is practised extensively by Roman Catholicism, and (b) the admixing of secular philosophy into faith, such as is what gave rise to Trinitarianism.

All pagan religions are syncretic, and Judaism and Islam very much so also, but in different ways, Judaism admixes the human teachings of the Rabbis into what originally came from God, whilst Islam admixes many pagan (ba'alist) elements into its purported monotheism.

True Christianity is not syncretic, but an extended revelation of the Jewish scriptures combined with the historicity and divine revelation of Jesus.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Syncretism can occur in two principle ways (a) the admixing of old pagan religious elements into faith, such as is practised extensively by Roman Catholicism, and (b) the admixing of secular philosophy into faith, such as is what gave rise to Trinitarianism.

All pagan religions are syncretic, and Judaism and Islam very much so also, but in different ways, Judaism admixes the human teachings of the Rabbis into what originally came from God, whilst Islam admixes many pagan (ba'alist) elements into its purported monotheism.

True Christianity is not syncretic, but an extended revelation of the Jewish scriptures combined with the historicity and divine revelation of Jesus.

I will go into this further on the question of syncretism and Christianity, but at this point I wil seriously question the bold above on what is 'True Christianity' as opposed to other variations and divisions in Christianity over time.

As far as Judaism, before ~700 BCE the Hebrew beliefs were highly syncretic, as the tribes of Hebrews evolved out of Babylonian, Ugarit and Canaanite beliefs, scripture, and customs. The Pentateuch scripture shows many attributes of Canaanite/Ugarit polytheism and heirarcical polytheism, and the myths and legends, and texts found in more ancient cuneiform tablets. After ~700 BCE Judaism renounced the ancient polytheism, culture and beliefs of the Ugarit/Canaanite cultures and developed their own mythology based on Exodus.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What makes a religion syncretic? Which religions may be considered Syncretic religions?

Syncretism, as I understand it, is usually a specific form of heterodoxy that involves the melding of concepts and goals of two or more different doctrines.

It may create doctrinal contradictions, or it may not. At its best it greatly rejuvenates the doctrines involved.

As for its origins, they usually involve conflicting social pressures to conform to specific expectations.

A common situation is that of people living in some form of geographical or cultural boundary region attempting to reconcile otherwise distinct doctrines. Sierra Leone attempts to reconcile Christianity and Islaam. Haiti, Catholicism and Voudoum. Japan, various forms of Buddhism and Shinto.

Another common situation is that of communities where social disparities translate into disparities of assimilation of a given doctrine. It is very common for certain communities to spontaneously develop "folk", often very heterodox varieties of their nominal parent doctrines. For instance, there are "folk" varieties of Christianity and Buddhism that are animist in nature, despite at least arguably having deep contradictions with the parent doctrines.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hazrat Inayat Khan's Salat prayer is to me a great example. It starts:

Most gracious Lord, Master, Messiah, and Saviour of humanity,
We greet Thee in all humility.
Thou art the First Cause and the Last Effect, the Divine Light and the Spirit of Guidance, Alpha and Omega.
Thy Light is in all forms, Thy love in all beings:
in a loving mother, in a kind father, in an innocent child, in a helpful friend, in an inspiring teacher.
Allow us to recognize Thee in all Thy holy names and forms:
as Rama, as Krishna, as Shiva, as Buddha.
Let us know Thee as Abraham, as Solomon, as Zarathushtra, as Moses, as Jesus, as Mohammed, and in many other names and forms, known and unknown to the world.

outlawState

Deism is dead
I will go into this further on the question of syncretism and Christianity, but at this point I wil seriously question the bold above on what is 'True Christianity' as opposed to other variations and divisions in Christianity over time.

As far as Judaism, before ~700 BCE the Hebrew beliefs were highly syncretic, as the tribes of Hebrews evolved out of Babylonian, Ugarit and Canaanite beliefs, scripture, and customs. The Pentateuch scripture shows many attributes of Canaanite/Ugarit polytheism and heirarcical polytheism, and the myths and legends, and texts found in more ancient cuneiform tablets. After ~700 BCE Judaism renounced the ancient polytheism, culture and beliefs of the Ugarit/Canaanite cultures and developed their own mythology based on Exodus.
This is what the academics teach, to be sure, but I think I would not see a mere shared vocabulary as evidence of syncretism. For instance two people in this day and age can claim to be both Christian and God fearing and be as separate from each other as the East is from the West. That is the way it has always been with religion. Just because the semites used a shared semitic vocabulary with the Canaanites does not mean that e.g. they believed that God had a wife and a son. The bible shows no such polytheistic elements. I agee however that there is ample evidence of relapse into Canaanite practices throughout Israel's history, but that is the reason we have the New Testament.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Comparing the beliefs of the different religions of the world and the syncretic nature of religion.
syn·cre·tism - the amalgamation or attempted amalgamation of different religions, cultures, or schools of thought.

With religious syncretism to me there is a reconciliation or fusion of differing systems of beliefs.
Those fused beliefs result in a new teaching, or a fabricated belief system, that can Not be reconciled to the biblical Christianity of the first-century teachings of Christ. The ' secular ' became blended with the ' sacred ' as far as Jesus' teachings go.

As to which religions, or religion, may be considered as syncretic: Especially when the un-faithful first-century Jews began mixing or blending with the Greeks they adopted their theories or philosophies outside of Scripture, but began teaching them as Scripture. The result was that such religious syncretism took the place of the original as it was introduced into that indigenous or native belief system.
So, then evolves a non-biblical perception as biblical. The ' new ' teaching (or blended teaching) then takes on a modified shape, or a life of its own like a virus released into the minds of many. A virus now so deeply embedded in people's minds that it then becomes so very hard or difficult to eradicate or eliminate.

The 'new' never fully replaces the 'old ' rather it adapts to the 'new' belief system but passing itself off as the 'old'.
Once exposed, then religious leaders used imaginative constructs insisting on keeping that new ' mirage ' alive.
Thus, such religious syncretism is Not compatible with first-century biblical teachings, and any modification to the biblical for the sake of a ' better ' religious choice would in 'first-century biblical teachings' be classed as heresy.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

'True Christianity' over time to me can be verified by comparing one's beliefs with the 1st-century teachings of Christ.
Kind of like making two lists on one paper:
Church teachings on one half, and Jesus' teachings on the other half.
If Not compatible, then to me one should choose Jesus' teachings over church traditions or church customs just being taught as being Scripture, but Not verified in Scripture.

As far as divisions in Christianity over time, gospel writer Luke forewarns us that false shepherds would be fleecing the flock of God as mentioned at Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30.
So, in other words, I find genuine ' wheat ' Christians would grow together over the centuries with the fake ' weed/tares' Christians until the Harvest Time, or the soon coming ' Time of Separation ' as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
'True Christianity' over time to me can be verified by comparing one's beliefs with the 1st-century teachings of Christ.
Kind of like making two lists on one paper:
Church teachings on one half, and Jesus' teachings on the other half.
If Not compatible, then to me one should choose Jesus' teachings over church traditions or church customs just being taught as being Scripture, but Not verified in Scripture.

As far as divisions in Christianity over time, gospel writer Luke forewarns us that false shepherds would be fleecing the flock of God as mentioned at Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30.
So, in other words, I find genuine ' wheat ' Christians would grow together over the centuries with the fake ' weed/tares' Christians until the Harvest Time, or the soon coming ' Time of Separation ' as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37.

How do you deal with Paul's writings, and the other letters attributed to Paul that definitely have a Hellenist view of Original Sin, the Fall, and the traditional belief of the Trinity(?) In traditional Christianity.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The bible shows no such polytheistic elements. I agree however that there is ample evidence of relapse into Canaanite practices throughout Israel's history, but that is the reason we have the New Testament.

Look forward to my new thread concerning polytheism and Canaanite/Ugarit influence in the Pentateuch text.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
@GURSIKH
I'd be interested in hearing from a Sikh about this.
Both Guru Nanak and Kabir were extremely critical of both Islam & Hinduism.
Some quotes :
Sikhism: Quotations from Guru Granth Sahib Ji on Islam and Muslims
There is no Hindu and no Musalman - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

I would gladly dialogue on a Sikh about this. I believe the quote you gave was more a aplea for the common universal belief of Islam and Hinduism the Sikhs initially want to bring peace between the two violently conflicting religions in India.

I may add more on this in a later post.

Jedster

I would gladly dialogue on a Sikh about this. I believe the quote you gave was more a aplea for the common universal belief of Islam and Hinduism the Sikhs initially want to bring peace between the two violently conflicting religions in India.

"Sikhism is a distinct blend of Hinduism and Islam. With distinct traditions, beliefs, and rituals from both religions."

Having spent much time with Sikhs as well as with Hindus & Muslims, I couldn't see the Sikh rituals were in anyway linked to Hinduism or Islam.
I did notice some similarity though in a few verses in the Guru Granth Sahib that made me think the writer had read the Quaran.
This was some years ago and I don't remember the tracts unfortunately.
It will be interesting to hear from a Sikh on this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I first learned of Sikhism as a blend between Islaam and Hinduism.

I have since come to doubt the accuracy of that description. Sikhism may well have the main trait of Islaam (strict monotheism), but otherwise it seems to be much closer to Hinduism with little to no other signs of Islaam.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How do you deal with Paul's writings, and the other letters attributed to Paul that definitely have a Hellenist view of Original Sin, the Fall, and the traditional belief of the Trinity(?) In traditional Christianity.

Where does Paul teach trinity,etc.
I have Not found where Paul is differing with the 1st-century teachings of Jesus.
By saying ' traditional' Christianity does that mean the 1st-century teachings of Christ as recorded in Scripture, or the more-or-less ' traditional ' Christianity that started after the 1st century ended as foretold at Acts of the Apostles 20:2-30 that false shepherds (dressed in sheep's clothing) would be fleecing the flock of God.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

There is no spiritual tradition that does not lean heavily on older traditions and older (differing) versions of the same tradition.
In that sense they are all one grand human family tree of spiritual traditions.

When traditions have developed their holy scriptures they will often view those scriptures as an independent unique base for their tradition sometimes calling them "divinely inspired" or "coming from God".
So the realisation that all spiritual traditions somehow form one familytree of human spiritual traditions is mostly absent.

To speak of syncretism is misleading because it suggests the idea that spiritual traditions start out as independent 'pure' creations and are then somehow mixed by others creating 'mongrel faiths'. This is just as nonsensical as the belief that humankind once had "pure" races that have only in more recent times been mixed by the effects of migration.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Where does Paul teach trinity,etc.
I have Not found where Paul is differing with the 1st-century teachings of Jesus.
By saying ' traditional' Christianity does that mean the 1st-century teachings of Christ as recorded in Scripture, or the more-or-less ' traditional ' Christianity that started after the 1st century ended as foretold at Acts of the Apostles 20:2-30 that false shepherds (dressed in sheep's clothing) would be fleecing the flock of God.

Notice I put a question mark concerning Paul and the Trinity can be interpreted different ways, but nonetheless:

Philippians 2:5–11
5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,1 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,2 emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,3 being born in the likeness of men. becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 Corinthians 6:11

And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.