• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syncretic Worship

What do you all think about the use of other religion's worship practices when/if you are part of an exclusive religion?

By that, let me give you a direct example: when I first learned about whirling dervishes, I (a Mormon at the time) was a bit intrigued about the practice. So, I tried the whirling for a while on my own. It didn't work for me, and I abandoned it, but it brings up this broader point:

People in Abrahamic religions don't tend to even want to touch the practices of other religions. However, if you change the words around so that you're still worshipping your normal God, does it matter if you're using a method or prayer originally composed for a different faith?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you all think about the use of other religion's worship practices when/if you are part of an exclusive religion?

By that, let me give you a direct example: when I first learned about whirling dervishes, I (a Mormon at the time) was a bit intrigued about the practice. So, I tried the whirling for a while on my own. It didn't work for me, and I abandoned it, but it brings up this broader point:

People in Abrahamic religions don't tend to even want to touch the practices of other religions. However, if you change the words around so that you're still worshipping your normal God, does it matter if you're using a method or prayer originally composed for a different faith?
For me? No.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

That is situational. For example, pagan practices in europe were essentially combined with Christianity, but you wouldnt combine all customs.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I don't see God as being the property of any religion in spite of the claims of some. To me God is beyond any religion.

You mention "Whirling Dervishes" which is a practice of a particular Islamic Sufi group. Another, the Chisti order, had a "Murshid", guide, who wrote: The Sufi shows his universal brotherhood in his adaptability. Among Christians he is a Christian, among Jews he is a Jew, among Muslims he is a Muslim, among Hindus he is a Hindu... Earlier in that discourse, he wrote this
Sufism cannot be called a religion because it is free from principles, distinctions and differences, the very basis on which religions are founded;

Tumah

Veteran Member
Lev. 18:3 and Deut. 12:30 teaches us that we're prohibited from following non-Jewish customs with emphasis (but not exclusively) on religious ones.

Yūgen

Practices are to clear the mind and to keep focus. Practices are important but don't compare them with the point of your focus. What man focus with it, is to find peace about things which man can't change.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

In my opinion, if you can incorporate two or more religions or beliefs into your worldview, and you can find a way to do it that doesn't conflict with the nature of the religions, I think it's okay.

It's easier to do when you're atheist but I have seen thiests come up with ways to justify syncretism. Wicca, for example, has a branch that incorporates Christian beliefs, where The (Wiccan) Divine is the same as the Christian God. This works because both religions have a single creator figure who can take many forms (The Divine in Wicca is separated to a male Horned God and female Moon Goddess aspect to acknowledge the unity of two opposites in nature, while the Christian God is commonly believed to be the trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit/Ghost, with the Virgin Mother. If you replace the Horned God with the Son who becomes the Holy Ghost in the winter, and the Moon Goddess with the Virgin Mother, it actually makes a lot of sense to combine the two religions). And both religions follow rules concerning a person's well-being and that of the community. Even though I don't follow either religion, I think it's an interesting and almost unexpected example of theistic syncretism that wouldn't have happened if Wicca didn't spread to the highly Christianized United States.

oranssi

The infinite zero
It is all a matter of personal preferences versus institutional and cultural pressure. But it all sums up in being in peace with oneself. I would say, do what feels best for you.

arthra

Baha'i

I think if you frequent inter-faith councils and/or visit international bodies such as the Parliament of World Religions you'll see more of an appreciation for each others' religious practices. We also had what we called "World Religion Day" at a nearby University and invited reps from the variety of religions in our area.. It was very instructive and the students of the various religions appreciated it!

World Religion Day - Wikipedia
parliament of world religions 2018 - Avast Yahoo Image Search Results

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
However, if you change the words around so that you're still worshipping your normal God, does it matter if you're using a method or prayer originally composed for a different faith?

Maybe yes, maybe no. The Shanti (Peace) Mantras from the Upanishads are fairly universal. However, I see two in this Wiki article that invoke certain gods by name. I don't know how you'd change those. There are some Taoist prayers that don't refer to any deity. Some Buddhist (mainly Tibetan) prayers to a particular bodhisattva could work as a basis or format for a different deity. There is a Sanskrit translation of The Lord's Prayer that an uber-liberal or universalist Hindu might use, but on the whole.. nu-uh, not for me. Besides, we have more than enough mantras and slokas already. :D