• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Symbols of pre-christian culture in current Christmas

Bear Wild

I have been having an interesting discussion on the origin of Christmas and have even conceded that the original concept of Christmas is Christian although supported by Greek philosophy. But is it me or does the modern symbolism of Santa Claus and Christmas celebration have wonderful pagan symbols.
If you disagree that is fine but wanted your thoughts.

1. Santa living at the north pole - associated with Snow as in Frau Holle
2. Magical reindeer - Deer being symbolic of entering the otherworld such as Santa's village in the north pole
3. Elves that help him. Important Norse/Germanic symbolic figures.
4. Magical mistletoe. Druid or Baldur symbolism
5. Symbolism of the light returning to the world.
6. Knowing if children have been bad or good rewarding those with presents that are good and giving coal and switches to those that are bad.
7. Importance of the evergreen during the darkest days.
8. symbolism of the Holly and the Ivy
9. Celebrating the after the shortest day for the return of daylight
10. Magical events associated with this season

Again this is not an argument of whether Christmas is a Christian holiday but rather the interesting the similarities of symbolism associated with pagan traditions. Any thoughts?

Bear Wild

I have been having an interesting discussion on the origin of Christmas and have even conceded that the original concept of Christmas is Christian although supported by Greek philosophy. But is it me or does the modern symbolism of Santa Claus and Christmas celebration have wonderful pagan symbols.
If you disagree that is fine but wanted your thoughts.

1. Santa living at the north pole - associated with Snow as in Frau Holle
2. Magical reindeer - Deer being symbolic of entering the otherworld such as Santa's village in the north pole
3. Elves that help him. Important Norse/Germanic symbolic figures.
4. Magical mistletoe. Druid or Baldur symbolism
5. Symbolism of the light returning to the world.
6. Knowing if children have been bad or good rewarding those with presents that are good and giving coal and switches to those that are bad.
7. Importance of the evergreen during the darkest days.
8. symbolism of the Holly and the Ivy
9. Celebrating the after the shortest day for the return of daylight
10. Magical events associated with this season

Again this is not an argument of whether Christmas is a Christian holiday but rather the interesting the similarities of symbolism associated with pagan traditions. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts on this? It seems that the symbiology derives from the pre-Christian past even if it was modified.