• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Symbolism

I Shred For Satan

Stigma Diabolicum
So just looking for a few opinions on something. I have few anti-religous/ satanic tattoos like an inverted crucifix, an inverted pentagram, 666, the sigil of lucifer, and one that reads "Cultus Diabolus". I consider myself to be an Atheistic or LaVayen Satanist. So to me the symbolism of all my tattoos boils down to my rejection of all faith, disbelief in any gods, and agree with using the word Satan as more of a metaphor than referring to the theological entity. I don't frown upon theistic satanism by any means either. My question being, since I don't believe in the theological Satan, would it be ignorant for me to get more tattoos, clothes, and other things with symbols like the Baphomet or the satanic crucifix? My animosity towards anything supposedly divine or holy, especially in christianity, seems to just consume me, which I don't mind, and I felt that that was the best way to express them? So another question is, does anyone have any possible suggestions for some anti Christ type symbols? Or maybe I've just thought about this entirely too much in my free time? HAIL CHAOS HAIL SATAN \m/

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Dunno, I am theistic but since I am aware of the popular culture embracing all those symbols so I don't really feel connected to them. I think they're all valid expressions as long as they're about rejecting Christianity which is what they really are about. The inverse cross however is St. Peter's cross and a Christian symbol, 666 has no meaning if you don't believe anything in the bible, and the inverse pentagram is more likely to be worn by an extreme metal fan than any Satanist of any ilk. I don't feel any bond to Baphomet other than the fact that I like Bathory and Venom. :bat:

Funny as it is these symbols mean nearly nothing to me because of those facts -- I don't go out in public and see someone with these things on them and hope they're like me; they won't be. =) I have none of these things tattooed on me, and rarely wear even an inverse pentagram in public unless it just happens to be on a shirt for one of the bands I like. If had such a tattoo it would definitely be ritualistic or prayer related in some way. Simple geometric shapes wouldn't be important enough and since I am theistic the outward display of things isn't very important to me. I think most people whom follow LaVey would find it necessary to "Satan up" more than I due to the fact that the symbolism is conceptually what makes you more than a plain atheist. Don't take that as criticism though -- I started in the LaVey camp and just 'grew' out of it due to it not reflecting all of my experiences.

jasonwill2

I thought that Anton LaVey said that the inverted cross was not a Satanic symbol. *checks the Satanic Bible*

Anyway, if your a symbolic Satanist, then it is true that different symbols mean different things to different people, so it is with the evolution of said ideas.

So what would you say is your motivation behind using Satan as a symbol as opposed to something else? I know the reasons LaVey gave for using Satan as a symbol, but I'm curious as to your specific reasons.

And also, welcome to the forums! Ave Satanas!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As a Setian I prefer the pure Pentagram of Set:

http://www.joanannlansberry.com/other/pentagram.gif

However, I also still find the Sigil of Baphomet to be quite magically stimulating as it reminds me of the Ram of Amon and the following:
"From the Fourth Angle is the Black Ram of the Sun, who brought thy selves to be, who endureth upon the World of Horrors and proclaimeth the time that was, the time that is, and the time that shall be; whose Name is the brilliance of the Nine Angles."

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Orias

Left Hand Path
So just looking for a few opinions on something. I have few anti-religous/ satanic tattoos like an inverted crucifix, an inverted pentagram, 666, the sigil of lucifer, and one that reads "Cultus Diabolus". I consider myself to be an Atheistic or LaVayen Satanist. So to me the symbolism of all my tattoos boils down to my rejection of all faith, disbelief in any gods, and agree with using the word Satan as more of a metaphor than referring to the theological entity. I don't frown upon theistic satanism by any means either. My question being, since I don't believe in the theological Satan, would it be ignorant for me to get more tattoos, clothes, and other things with symbols like the Baphomet or the satanic crucifix? My animosity towards anything supposedly divine or holy, especially in christianity, seems to just consume me, which I don't mind, and I felt that that was the best way to express them? So another question is, does anyone have any possible suggestions for some anti Christ type symbols? Or maybe I've just thought about this entirely too much in my free time? HAIL CHAOS HAIL SATAN \m/

Satan symbolises opposition and adversary, rejection can be a strong part of it but I personally have switched poles a bit in my way of thinking.

I don't necessarily reject the idea of anything Christian, rather I see it as a wall that I can continually bounce off of.

Its a strange metaphor, but the general idea is to break it down, and not necessarily to reject it. People are people regardless of their religious or spiritual orientation, though obviously more extreme beliefs can lead to a higher level of conscious alteration or manipulation. The very influence is breaking to some, hence the ignorant and stupefied masses.

However, this "bouncing off the wall" is necessary in achieving the dictum of "Do unto others as they do unto you" because well...when you throw a ball at a wall it bounces back at you.

Other than that I see no real problems with having tattoos of the sorts, I have one tattoo and it is hardly revealing of anything. Though I do often get "the look" by people. As long you aren't a moron and don't go around giving Satanists a bad rep I guess its ok, but then again if you give Satanism a bad rep you're probably a Satanist.

The baphomet is actually a composition of two words which means "absorption of knowledge". The reason for it being "anti-Christian" is because Christianity is simply unrevealing to anything.

As for the symbols well I guess the more personal it is the better, it doesn't have to be direct. I favor scenes and images of that depicted in Noris mythology, and of course certain empowering sigils. You could always get a quotation or something too.

Welcome to the forum.

Shemhamphorash
Xeper