• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swordplay

imaginaryme

If I'm not mistaken, it was Anubis who was first to weigh the scales of deed and misdeed in a person's life at the threshold of eternity... just a thought.

I feel the sword is a primordial archetype; nothing more than physical representation of authority. The archetype of our age is the fasces, the bundled rods of Rome; represented by the equally "powerful without demonstration" form of the greenback. Although, it may be worth mentioning that in this day of the MAC-10, I prefer the katana. :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If I'm not mistaken, it was Anubis who was first to weigh the scales of deed and misdeed in a person's life at the threshold of eternity... just a thought.

I feel the sword is a primordial archetype; nothing more than physical representation of authority. The archetype of our age is the fasces, the bundled rods of Rome; represented by the equally "powerful without demonstration" form of the greenback. Although, it may be worth mentioning that in this day of the MAC-10, I prefer the katana. :D

Do you believe in life after death?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Yes, He weighs one's heart against a feather to determine if it is heavy with sin. He is also the One that guides newcomers into the Underworld. He is the God of orphans, travelers, and the lost as well.

imaginaryme

Do you believe in life after death?
Not as such. Life as it is known is an interaction between the signal processor of the brain and the signal from the environment. Nearly all brain activity concerns causality and body function, is simply robotic; and it is the quantity of signal processed at one velocity overlapping the reprocessing done with the sluggishness of thought produces the interference pattern called mind.

Yet, a fraction of a percent is mind; and is entangled with the universal mind. I haven't been to "after death," but I been to the threshold of eternity... life is baggage, really don't need it; have no desire to do it again. :D

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
If life after death is existence beside a PERFECT creator and thus completely within the confines of his will, then why would swords be necessary? Its all well and good to say that they are necessary to do conflict with rogue angels (not that I buy that such a thing could happen under the watch of a perfect being save it be according to this being's will that it even be allowed to transpire in the first place), but in heaven why would swords be at all allowable let alone necessary?

MTF

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If life after death is existence beside a PERFECT creator and thus completely within the confines of his will, then why would swords be necessary? Its all well and good to say that they are necessary to do conflict with rogue angels (not that I buy that such a thing could happen under the watch of a perfect being save it be according to this being's will that it even be allowed to transpire in the first place), but in heaven why would swords be at all allowable let alone necessary?

MTF

Swords sever the living from the dead.

Conduct is a consideration.
Heaven is a place of peace...peace first.

Perhaps it belittles heaven, that it might be compared to your house.
But for the moment let's do that.
Do you allow anyone to enter at anytime?
To what extent would you defend your threshold?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Swords sever the living from the dead.

Conduct is a consideration.
Heaven is a place of peace...peace first.

Perhaps it belittles heaven, that it might be compared to your house.
But for the moment let's do that.
Do you allow anyone to enter at anytime?
To what extent would you defend your threshold?

A sword as a weapon of war OR scything blade ala the Grim Reaper? Either way the image is iconic and has nothing to do with material reality. I seriously doubt you are someone willing to contend that a "soul" is something material and can be cut by a material weapon...

Peace... only unless I misunderstand the concept of heaven entirely.

Who can enter the abode of a perfect being save it be by that being's will? Its one thing to say that Free Will is complete within the confines of "creation," but heaven is supposedly the "Lord's House" and so completely within the confines of "God's Will." There is no reason to suspect that angels would have to defend it from anything.

And yes, I know that runs counter to the notion that angel once slew angel in a battle long ago... But exactly why was this allowed to transpire? And if this was allowed, then does it not indicate that heaven is a perfect place?

MTF

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A sword as a weapon of war OR scything blade ala the Grim Reaper? Either way the image is iconic and has nothing to do with material reality. I seriously doubt you are someone willing to contend that a "soul" is something material and can be cut by a material weapon...

Peace... only unless I misunderstand the concept of heaven entirely.

Who can enter the abode of a perfect being save it be by that being's will? Its one thing to say that Free Will is complete within the confines of "creation," but heaven is supposedly the "Lord's House" and so completely within the confines of "God's Will." There is no reason to suspect that angels would have to defend it from anything.

And yes, I know that runs counter to the notion that angel once slew angel in a battle long ago... But exactly why was this allowed to transpire? And if this was allowed, then does it not indicate that heaven is a perfect place?

MTF

Try thinking of swords as action performed...lines drawn in the ground at your feet.

jtartar

Under digression in another thread....swordplay was mentioned.
My 'adversary' made sport of the notion, as if there is no consequence.

Not doubt you have all noticed, angels are often displayed, and portrayed with sword in hand.

Here in this life, swords severe the living from the dead.
What about the next life?...the hereafter?

What if it is true, that angels carry swords?

As you say there are many instances where angels bear the sword. Notice the one at Isa 37:36, where one angel killed 185,000 men in one night.
What angels did in the past can help us to see what they will do in the near future. Angels will be fighting with Jesus against all wickedness and people who do not KNOW God and who do not obey the lord Jesus, 2Thess 1:6-9, Rev 19:11-21. These scriptures are describing Armageddon, which will be the end of this system of things. God must send forth His son to rid the world of all who do not love Him and truth, Rom 3:5,6.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's been awhile since posting here in this thread.

From another thread...called 'Justice'....this came up....I quote myself

"Just for fun....let's say the angels carry swords.
Often see them portrayed as such....don't you?

When the hour comes and you surrender your last breath...
the angels come to see what came of the dust.

Just for fun...let's say they like you....they want you to follow and be like them.
They hand you a sword.

As you proceed, you see that swords sever the living from the dead.
It seems that would be the one thing angels do.

Then it's your turn.
And the only instruction they give is...
"Let there be peace."

The first time around it's easy.
No problem what to allow....what to strike down.

And then again..."let there be peace."
The second time around.....not so easy.
A more careful and discerning application is needed.

When it's all over....no more judgment call to make....

You will stand beside what you allowed....
and mourn what you did not."

Some time has passed and this line of thought keeps coming up.