• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swiss guard hypocrites, not Christians?

74x12

So apparently according to Pope Francis no one should call themselves Christian if they own a gun. Because they're hypocrites. Does that include the Vatican city Swiss guard? Or are they still faithful Catholics? Just curious ... lol

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So apparently according to Pope Francis no one should call themselves Christian if they own a gun. Because they're hypocrites. Does that include the Vatican city Swiss guard? Or are they still faithful Catholics? Just curious ... lol
Well...the Swiss Guards are definitely the only reason why my female friends and I go snoop around the Vatican every now and then.:D:oops:

Back to the topic: most of the work of defense there is done by the Italian police at the gates...those guards are just decorations.

Last edited:

Why as a Christian are you so fascinated with a tool that is used for killing?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
So apparently according to Pope Francis no one should call themselves Christian if they own a gun. Because they're hypocrites.
How does Pope Francis dare to accuse someone being a hypocrite; himself being in charge of the biggest "sexual abuse institute" in the world? Hypocrite throws the first stone?

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Do the Swiss Guard carry guns? Also, I'd kind of like to see Francis' quote.

Also also...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Swiss is the hardcore anabaptists, right? Not sure they're catholic
If one hires guards with guns, this isn't really different from having one's own gun.
Effectively, the Pope would be arguing that guns are only for those wealthy enuf
to hire others to wield them.

74x12

Just not skeptical enough to do a check before taking a swipe at Catholics, huh?
Sorry, it's not about going against Catholics for me, but the politics of the Pope. I couldn't resist the sarcasm. :D However, I think the over all point here is valid. The pope clearly is against personal gun ownership; while he sits in a veritable fortress with armed guards and Italian police to protect him. Even when he goes on parade it's in some kind of bullet proof bubble car. :p

This kind of double standard is not limited to the Pope however, as we see many rich and famous people living in gated communities with personal body guards speaking against gun ownership for the mere plebeians. So I'm not taking a swipe at the Catholic church just because I can.

Yet, many people think Christians shouldn't be armed to defend their families. :rolleyes: While the Bible says if any man provides not for his own house; then they're worse than unbelievers. (1 Timothy 5:8)

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Sorry, it's not about going against Catholics for me, but the politics of the Pope. I couldn't resist the sarcasm. :D However, I think the over all point here is valid. The pope clearly is against personal gun ownership; while he sits in a veritable fortress with armed guards and Italian police to protect him. Even when he goes on parade it's in some kind of bullet proof bubble car. :p

This kind of double standard is not limited to the Pope however, as we see many rich and famous people living in gated communities with personal body guards speaking against gun ownership for the mere plebeians. So I'm not taking a swipe at the Catholic church just because I can.

Yet, many people think Christians shouldn't be armed to defend their families. :rolleyes: While the Bible says if any man provides not for his own house; then they're worse than unbelievers. (1 Timothy 5:8)
When has the Pope said anything like you are implying?

FYI, I own 4 firearms and 2 other regulated projectile weapons, and I agree that the idea of having guns for "self defence" in a developed country for the averafe person is a nonsense.

HonestJoe

The pope clearly is against personal gun ownership;
You seem to have forgotten earlier post already. Maybe you didn’t bother to read the link.

Again, there is nothing quoting the Pope making any reference to personal gun ownership (for or against as it happens). The misrepresented statements were specifically about individuals and organisations making and selling weapons specifically to do harm to innocent people.

while he sits in a veritable fortress with armed guards and Italian police to protect him. Even when he goes on parade it's in some kind of bullet proof bubble car. :p
Armed guards aren’t personal gun ownership anyway and I don’t see an entirely defensive force as being contradictory to anything the Pope has said or even anything wrongly attributed to him. Bullet resistant glass in his car certainly isn’t contradictory.

This kind of double standard is not limited to the Pope however, as we see many rich and famous people living in gated communities with personal body guards speaking against gun ownership for the mere plebeians.
Well given your record so far, I think you’ll forgive us for requiring some reliable evidence to back up this accusation. :) Remember it’s only really hypocritical if they’re arguing for restrictions that would prevent the choices they take. For example, if someone only argues for stronger background checks and all their armed security goes through background checks, there’d be no moral contradiction.

So I'm not taking a swipe at the Catholic church just because I can.
No, the swipe at the Pope and the church was just an added bonus eh? :cool:

74x12

No, the swipe at the Pope and the church was just an added bonus eh? :cool:
First of all, swipe at the pope is not necessarily a swipe at all Catholics. Secondly, criticism is for whoever it's due.

Remember it’s only really hypocritical if they’re arguing for restrictions that would prevent the choices they take.
Sorry, but that's completely unreasonable. They have the money to afford personal guards, gated communities and bullet proof glass in their cars etc. The little guy working his job can barely afford to pay the bills. What's wrong with the little guy owning a gun to defend himself or his family?

It is hypocrisy when they cannot see things in any other way except in their rich and privileged way. Basically they cannot put themselves in the shoes of the average guy.