• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet, sweet, schadenfreude:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There have been many televangelists who've not actually followed what they've preached. Televangelists often have a record of being very worldly and materialistic; so why are their supporters so easily fooled over and over again? Are Christian televangelist supporters really that gullible and naive?
Is this younger Falwell a televangelist?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"Schadenfreude" = "Gotcha!"
This according to revoltingwordsdefined.com

Schaden is German for injury and freude is German for joy,; so the translation of schadenfreude from German into English "injury joy" makes no sense, until its put into the context of somebody getting pleasure from their adversary's injury. In this case, it appears that the OP's author somehow considers Falwell Jr. to be adversarial, and the OP's author seems to be expressing delight something bad happened to somebody he considers to be adversarial.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Is this younger Falwell a televangelist?

I stand corrected. He's the heir to a televangelist. However, he is President of Liberty University that is a Christian Fundamentalist learning institution that was founded by televangelist Jerry Falwell.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The Bible does have those parts that are "homophobic". It also has other parts that people are quiet about because they are not on the agenda. I doubt that the Bible would be the only reason for it, since they appear in other religions (and non-religion) too. Might be societal expectations.

F.Y.I. Jesus Christ never condemned homosexuality; this is condemned in the New Testament written by some homophobic dude named Paul who wasn't even around or anywhere near Jesus Christ teaching his followers how they should behave.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Schaden is German for injury and freude is German for joy,; so the translation of schadenfreude from German into English "injury joy" makes no sense, until its put into the context of somebody getting pleasure from their adversary's injury. In this case, it appears that the OP's author somehow considers Falwell Jr. to be an adversarial, and the OP's author seems to be expressing delight something bad happened to somebody he considered to be adversarial.
I've long known schadenfreude.
I'm its biggest fan.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Schaden is German for injury and freude is German for joy,; so the translation of schadenfreude from German into English "injury joy" makes no sense, until its put into the context of somebody getting pleasure from their adversary's injury. In this case, it appears that the OP's author somehow considers Falwell Jr. to be an adversarial, and the OP's author seems to be expressing delight something bad happened to somebody he considered to be adversarial.
The term is commonly used to describe the condition of a culture at a particular time and place...thus, the pain and joy of living in a particular place and time...I am not sure how the OP intended the term to come across in the thread title.

I have seen/heard (even on this board) the term used to refer to individuals..."You're such a Schadenfreude!"...but I really don't understand this use, as it is normally used in a sociological sense, rather than a psychological sense.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Schaden is German for injury and freude is German for joy,; so the translation of schadenfreude from German into English "injury joy" makes no sense, until its put into the context of somebody getting pleasure from their adversary's injury. In this case, it appears that the OP's author somehow considers Falwell Jr. to be an adversarial, and the OP's author seems to be expressing delight something bad happened to somebody he considers to be adversarial.

One of the few German words that I know. I was so happy last year when it was in the New York Times crossword puzzle and I got it correct.

When groups such as Liberty University and the people running them attack people just because of their sexual orientation it does give me a bit of joy when they get some of their own back.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Other than a snarky newish source, who is attacking them?
Quite a few of the low life news sources are going after them right now. Time will tell if there is anything there. The tax charges sound rather serious, but when your friend is the President that may not amount to much. Sadly as we saw under Obama, the IRS is not independent of the party that is running the show.

Rational Agnostic

He does go a bit over the edge at times. I have not seen him make either of these claims. Perhaps it was when he was younger.

Check out his video "I Do Not Support the Troops". Granted it's from 2012, but that's the one that pretty much turned me off of him. There is a good rebuttal to it made by a soldier.