• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swarm, vs Single Quakes

Ellen Brown

I've watched the USGS Quake page for years. Lately I see more Quakes in swarms. Are there more swarm quakes or did they improve the equipment?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I will do some checking, but I believe they have improved the detection equipment for earthquakes, and swarm earthquakes are often many small earthquakes that may not be recorded in the past, and I believe they are mostly deeper earthquakes.

In retrospect the swarm earthquakes are not always deep earthquakes, and I believe there is not a trend of increased incidents. Earthquake swarms usually occur in seismically active very active regions like the Alps, California and Nevada.

I will look into references.

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I think they improved the equipment but I'm also not a seismologist so you should ignore everything I say on the topic. :D

Maybe they also set up a lot more seismographs too.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think they improved the equipment but I'm also not a seismologist so you should ignore everything I say on the topic. :D

Maybe they also set up a lot more seismographs too.

They have set up networks of seismographs in regions around California/Nevada and the Alps.

"In so-called 'earthquake swarms', numerous earthquakes occ"ur locally over an extended period without a clear sequence of foreshocks, main quakes and aftershocks. The Swiss Seismological Service (SED) registers several of earthquakes swarms every year. They are therefore nothing extraordinary. Swarms usually end after a few days or months. Only seldom does the strength and number of earthquakes increase over time or do occur single, damaging events. How an earthquake swarm develops over time is just as difficult to predict as earthquakes are in general.

Many earthquake swarms occur in regions with complex contiguous fracture systems. The theory is that they are related to the movement of fluid gases and liquids in the Earth’s crust.
"In so-called 'earthquake swarms', numerous earthquakes occur locally over an extended period without a clear sequence of fore-shocks, main quakes and aftershocks. The Swiss Seismological Service (SED) registers several of earthquakes swarms every year. They are therefore nothing extraordinary. Swarms usually end after a few days or months. Only seldom does the strength and number of earthquakes increase over time or do occur single, damaging events. How an earthquake swarm develops over time is just as difficult to predict as earthquakes are in general.

Many earthquake swarms occur in regions with complex contiguous fracture systems. The theory is that they are related to the movement of fluid gases and liquids in the Earth’s crust."

I will back up and say, yes most earthquake swarms are deeper in the earth.

"How an earthquake swarm develops over time is just as difficult to predict as earthquakes are in general. Many earthquake swarms occur in regions with complex contiguous fracture systems. The theory is that they are related to the movement of fluid gases and liquids in the Earth's crust."