• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sussex Pond Pudding

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've just made my first 1/3 scale test run with this. Much to my surprise it came out fine and was rather good:
upload_2020-12-13_22-38-10.jpeg

This pudding goes back to c.17th England and is agreeably bad for you :D, being made from suet pastry with a butter and sugar filling. However the modern version has one concession to health in the form of a whole lemon (pricked all over) in the middle, so that the lemon juice mixes with the butter and sugar mixture as it very slowly cooks, and the lemon becomes candied in return (you steam the pudding for 4 hours).

When you cut it open, all the buttery syrup and lemon juice runs out, forming a "pond", hence the name.

Because my test run was 1/3 scale (my full size pudding basins are full of Christmas pudding at present), the filling is 1/3 but the pastry is 1/2 quantity (surface:volume ratio effect), so the "pond" is not as large in relation to the suet pastry as it really ought to be. But still good. This is definitely a dessert for the depths of winter.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I've just made my first 1/3 scale test run with this. Much to my surprise it came out fine and was rather good:
View attachment 46098

This pudding goes back to c.17th England and is agreeably bad for you :D, being made from suet pastry with a butter and sugar filling. However the modern version has one concession to health in the form of a whole lemon (pricked all over) in the middle, so that the lemon juice mixes with the butter and sugar mixture as it very slowly cooks, and the lemon becomes candied in return (you steam the pudding for 4 hours).

When you cut it open, all the buttery syrup and lemon juice runs out, forming a "pond", hence the name.

Because my test run was 1/3 scale (my full size pudding basins are full of Christmas pudding at present), the filling is 1/3 but the pastry is 1/2 quantity (surface:volume ratio effect), so the "pond" is not as large in relation to the suet pastry as it really ought to be. But still good. This is definitely a dessert for the depths of winter.

Is this the thing that has a whole lemon in it? This was just on Bake Off! Good job. :) (PS suet is gross, I don't support that part :p)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is this the thing that has a whole lemon in it? This was just on Bake Off! Good job. :) (PS suet is gross, I don't support that part :p)
Really? You mean I have for once got ahead of the fashion curve? How extraordinary.

The recipe has been kicking around in my recipe cuttings book for about 15 years. It came from a newspaper supplement in which Mark Hix used to do the recipes (Hix was at Bibendum, along with Bruce Poole and Simon Hopkinson, I think - all of them very much my type of cook). I'd never got round to it but my teenage son finally badgered me into making it, now that the weather has turned cold.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Very funny. (Lard is just as "gross" and won't work, of course).
Yes, it probably has too low of a melting point. My brother is a Seventh Day Adventist. Pork is a no no for them. He and his family were rather disappointed when they found that the pastries from their favorite Mexican bakery were very traditional. They were made with lard.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You could use non-hydrogenated vegetable suet. (eg Atora Light)
You could but frankly I've read dodgy things about hydrogenated veggie fats. I think you are better off with beef suet, from the health point of view.

Actually, a lot of the suet comes out into the water during cooking, which is why suet pastry is always spongy, i.e. full of holes. So it's not really fatty to eat at all.

I've read up about this: seems the key thing with suet pastry is the fat has a high melting point, so the pastry is already starting to set when the fat melts. Hence it runs out, leaving a porous, flexible structure behind. When you use butter, as in normal pastry, it melts in at the start, making a far greasier final pastry, but which goes crisp. So maybe suet is not as bad for you as it seems. ;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, it probably has too low of a melting point. My brother is a Seventh Day Adventist. Pork is a no no for them. He and his family were rather disappointed when they found that the pastries from their favorite Mexican bakery were very traditional. They were made with lard.
Bingo! See my post 9. That's it exactly. Melting point is key, apparently. (I only learnt this today.)

amorphous_constellation

It wouldn't surprise me if the lemon had been a part of the original recipe.. one cooking youtube channel I like to watch is Townsends, and it seems like the early american recipes, with a strong english influence, would use the lemon all over the place

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It looks yummy and not what I first thought when I read "Sussex Pond Pudding". I don't think I should note what I visualized.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It wouldn't surprise me if the lemon had been a part of the original recipe.. one cooking youtube channel I like to watch is Townsends, and it seems like the early american recipes, with a strong english influence, would use the lemon all over the place
I think lemons would have been an expensive luxury in c.17th England. They would have to be imported from the South of France or Spain before they went mouldy.

exchemist

Veteran Member
hm.. maybe that's a bit early then.. did it feature heavily in their tastes a century or so later?
Well citrus fruits can be preserved with sugar of course. Candied peel of orange and lemons has been traditional for a long time. There is plenty of that in Christmas puddings, mince pies etc.