• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Suryaputra" and "Daanveer"; Karna

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Karna continues to be renowned for his generosity and fearlessness. With immense prowess, he had the vigor of the Sun deity.
Defeating Jarasena himself by attempting to bifurcate the evil ruler of Magadha and moving the Chariot of Arjuna with Krishna and hanuman.

Though having the most unfair fate of all characters in Mahabharata, he excelled at archery. Some would say, more than Arjuna's might.

Also, Karna had many misfortunes to downside him.
1. Parashurama's curse that Karna would forget all the knowledge he learnt during the crucial time of his life (invoking the Brahmashirastra)
2. Brahmin's curse, that his chariot would get stuck at the most important moment (the fight with Arjuna).
3.His promise to Kunti that he would use the Nagastra only once, and also that he would spare the lives of the 4 Pandavas except Arjuna.
4.Indra, on the orders of Lord Krishna, snatched away his Kavas and Kundal and without those, Karna had lost his invincibility.
5.'Vasava Shakti' that received from Indra had already been used on Ghatotkacha. On the the battle on fourteenth day, it atypically extended into the dark hours, Krishna had wilfully introduced Ghatotkacha, as Asuras gain extraordinary power at night time.

One clear instance where one can see Karna's might.

Karna and Arjun were engaged in a lethal duel. Arjuna shot a powerful arrow which hit Karna's chariot. Karna's chariot was back-swept by at least 4 feet. Karna was enraged, Krishna was impassive. Karna shot an arrow which hit Arjuna's chariot and Arjuna's chariot moved backwards by at least 2 feet. And Krishna started lauding Karna “Bravo! Karna, Bravo oh mighty warrior”. Karna grinned and Arjuna was exasperated.

This continued, which made Arjuna furious, he questioned Krishna regarding his actions.

“This is just not done. Vasudev, you have become biased. I agree Karna is a great bowman but certainly not better than me. I am outstripping him. My arrows made his carriage reverse twice the distance as compared to what his arrows did to my chariot. Still you praise him, very unfair I must say” Arjuna complained.

Krishna smiled and said

“Dear Parth, you see Karna is a better warrior than you. Let me explain to you why? Every god wants you to win this Dharmayudhdha, their blessings are conferred on this chariot. The mightiest warrior of all times, Shri Hanuman is there on the flag of this chariot. And, I the master of three worlds is driving your chariot and still Karna makes it move backwards. Imagine, Hanuman Jee and I abandoning the chariot? One arrow of Karna can make you disappear in space along with your chariot. But don't get demoralized, You are on the side of Dharma hence you will win, Karna with all his powers and talents can not beat you".

Any other stories from the Mahabharata about one of the most glorious warriors of all times that interests you?
:)

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
This isn't from the Mahabharata, but it's still epic. Rama and Lakshmana were fighting Ravana, and unfortunately during the battle Ravana struck Lakshmana, falling unconscious. Lord Rama told Hanuman to find a herb on a mountain that would cure him. Hanuman found the mountain, but he did not know which plant to pick. Out of desperation, he uprooted the mountain, and left to present it to Lord Rama, reviving Lakshmana. in a touching moment, Lord Rama hugs Hanuman, something i'm sure Hanuman had dreamed of.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
This isn't from the Mahabharata, but it's still epic. Rama and Lakshmana were fighting Ravana, and unfortunately during the battle Ravana struck Lakshmana, falling unconscious. Lord Rama told Hanuman to find a herb on a mountain that would cure him. Hanuman found the mountain, but he did not know which plant to pick. Out of desperation, he uprooted the mountain, and left to present it to Lord Rama, reviving Lakshmana. in a touching moment, Lord Rama hugs Hanuman, something i'm sure Hanuman had dreamed of.

Because he did some service for Lakshmana. Thats how much Lord Rama loves His brother Lakshmana! Btw I have the video of the moment you are describing!

Sorry tereseji, its in Hindi, but there are subtitles!

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
u are on the side of Dharma hence you will win, Karna with all his powers and talents can not beat you".

Jaya Jaya! Just is the power of Dharma. There is a story which always gets to me (I posted this in the bhajans thread,but will share for others to see). When Lord Rama was about to fight Raavan, Vibhishan (Raavan's brother, and Lord Rama's devotee) saw that Lord Rama has not armour or even a chariot like Raavan did. Seeing this, he became quite sad, and so he asked Rama "How will you beat someone as strong as Raavan?". To this Lord Rama replies, "I have the chariot of Dharma. What to speak of Raavan, even this material world cannot defeat me". He then goes on to describe the chariot in beautiful detail. Posting His words here (in song of course):

ravana rathi biratha raghivira, dekhi vibhisana bhayau adhira

Seeing Ravana with a Chariot and Sri Rama without, Vibhisana became very depressed

adhika priti mana bha samdeha, bamdi carana kaha sahita saneha

Overcome with exccessive Love, his mind filled with doubt, he inquired at the feet of Sri Rama with great affection:

natha na ratha nahi tana pada trana kehi bihdi jitaba bira balavana

"Oh Lord, You do not have a Chariot nor do you even have any shoes. How will you win against a might warrior such as Ravana?"

sunahu sakha kaha kripanidhana jehi jaya hoi so syamdana ana
sauraja dhiraja tehi ratha caka satya sila drRha dhvaja pataka

The One who is the storehouse of Mercy, Sri Rama said:
"Listen my friend, for the Chariot that leads to Victory is quite different. Bravery and fortitude are the wheels of that chariot, while truthfulness and good conduct are its enduring banner and flag"

bala vivekadama parahita ghore, chama krpa samata raju jore
isa bhajanu sarathi sujana birati carma samtosa krpana

"Strength, discrimination, determination and benevolence for others are the four horses. Forgiveness, mercy and equality are the ropes which bind the horses to the chariot. The worship of the Supreme Lord is the unrivaled charioteer, dispassion, the shield and contentment, the sword.

dana parasu budhi sakti pracamda vara vigyana kathina kodamda
amala acala mana trona samana sama jama niyama silimukha nana

Charity is the axe while reason is the fierce lance. Wisdom and realization are the relentless bows. A pure and steady mind is like
a quiver while the Yamas and Niyamas are the arrows.

kavaca abheda vipra guru puja ehi sama bijaya upaya na duja
sakha dharma maya asa ratha jake jitana kaha na katahu ripu take

"The impenetrable armor is the worship of the Guru and Brahmins (those who are one's teachers), other than this, there is no way to victory. O friend one who has such a chariot of Dharma, what to speak of Ravana, such a person can conquer any enemy"

This chariot of Dharma which the Lord is describing is so beautiful and it can very easily destroy the foe of Maya and lead us to the Lotus feet of the Lord.

*yama and niyama here refer to the rules restraints and observances. Quoting from @ratikala mataji's post:

The Ten Yamas ; ... Restraints , ...
  1. Ahimsa ; ...nonviolence
  2. Satya ; ......truthfulness
  3. Asteya ; ....non stealing
  4. Brahmacharya ; ...chastity , or restraint
  5. Ksama ; ....forgiveness
  6. Dhrti ; ....... fortitude
  7. Daya ; .......Compassion
  8. Arjava ; ......Sincerity , absence of Hypocracy
  9. Mitahara ; ..moderation in diet
  10. Sauca ; .....physical and mental purity (cleanliness)
The Ten Niyamas ; ...Observances , ...
  1. Tapas ; .....austerity
  2. Santosa ; ..contentment , joyfull acceptance
  3. Astika ; .....faith in God (or divine higher self)
  4. Dana ; ......giving in charity or sharing with others
  5. Isvarapujana ;....worship of the Ishvara ... (the supreme as person or higher self)
  6. Siddhanta Vakya Sravana ; ...Hearing discourses or recitations of the ancient scriptures
  7. Hri ; ........ cultivating modesty and humility , ...developing remorse for one's previous actions
  8. Mati ; .......developing understanding , ....reconcileing or resolving conflicting ideas
  9. Japa ; ...... recitation of mantra
  10. Huta ; .......performance of rituals , (Yajna)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Karna continues to be renowned for his generosity and fearlessness. With immense prowess, he had the vigor of the Sun deity.
Defeating Jarasena himself by attempting to bifurcate the evil ruler of Magadha and moving the Chariot of Arjuna with Krishna and hanuman.

Though having the most unfair fate of all characters in Mahabharata, he excelled at archery. Some would say, more than Arjuna's might.

Also, Karna had many misfortunes to downside him.
1. Parashurama's curse that Karna would forget all the knowledge he learnt during the crucial time of his life (invoking the Brahmashirastra)
2. Brahmin's curse, that his chariot would get stuck at the most important moment (the fight with Arjuna).
3.His promise to Kunti that he would use the Nagastra only once, and also that he would spare the lives of the 4 Pandavas except Arjuna.
4.Indra, on the orders of Lord Krishna, snatched away his Kavas and Kundal and without those, Karna had lost his invincibility.
5.'Vasava Shakti' that received from Indra had already been used on Ghatotkacha. On the the battle on fourteenth day, it atypically extended into the dark hours, Krishna had wilfully introduced Ghatotkacha, as Asuras gain extraordinary power at night time.

One clear instance where one can see Karna's might.

Karna and Arjun were engaged in a lethal duel. Arjuna shot a powerful arrow which hit Karna's chariot. Karna's chariot was back-swept by at least 4 feet. Karna was enraged, Krishna was impassive. Karna shot an arrow which hit Arjuna's chariot and Arjuna's chariot moved backwards by at least 2 feet. And Krishna started lauding Karna “Bravo! Karna, Bravo oh mighty warrior”. Karna grinned and Arjuna was exasperated.

This continued, which made Arjuna furious, he questioned Krishna regarding his actions.

“This is just not done. Vasudev, you have become biased. I agree Karna is a great bowman but certainly not better than me. I am outstripping him. My arrows made his carriage reverse twice the distance as compared to what his arrows did to my chariot. Still you praise him, very unfair I must say” Arjuna complained.

Krishna smiled and said

“Dear Parth, you see Karna is a better warrior than you. Let me explain to you why? Every god wants you to win this Dharmayudhdha, their blessings are conferred on this chariot. The mightiest warrior of all times, Shri Hanuman is there on the flag of this chariot. And, I the master of three worlds is driving your chariot and still Karna makes it move backwards. Imagine, Hanuman Jee and I abandoning the chariot? One arrow of Karna can make you disappear in space along with your chariot. But don't get demoralized, You are on the side of Dharma hence you will win, Karna with all his powers and talents can not beat you".

Any other stories from the Mahabharata about one of the most glorious warriors of all times that interests you?
:)
Where does this story come from? Its not there in the various unabridged versions of Mahabharata I have read. Is it from some of the secondary renditions of the epic? Both the detailed unabridged northern and southern editions of the Mahabharata are quite consistent is stating that Karna was not as good an archer as Arjuna, though he fought very bravely and furiously on his last day. Karna is particularly good for dramatization, so many plays and books have been written focusing on him and with some liberties with his character and abilities. That is all good, but its mistaken to believe that the Mahabharata depicts him as such.

This is an excerpt from the night battle (just before Ghatotkacha's death) during the Drona parva. The first attack by Ghatotkacha's troops has been foiled by Asvathaama and Karna was tasked by Duryodhana to break the assault on their army by the Panchalas. (The translation is mine from an unabridged English version, I have simplified the English somewhat)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beholding the advancing Panchala army,
The mighty son of Suta trembled not, nor lose his composure,
Indeed, he began, with clouds of shafts, resist that force on all sides,
The Pandavas also fought furiously shooting showers of shafts,
Yet none could strike the Radha's son, who with the swift lightness of his hands,
Counteracted all enemy shafts with ease, and then sped his own arrows, marked with his own name,
At the yokes, the umbrellas, the cars and the horses of his foes.
Afflicted by him, those kings began to wander aimlessly on the field,
Just as a herd of cows wander about, afflicted by the wintry winds of December.
Struck by Karna, multitudes of steeds and elephants and car-warriors were seen to collapse
Deprived of life.
The whole field, O king, became strewn with the fallen heads and arms of unretreating heroes.

Then Duryodhana, witnessing the prowess of Karna, went to Asvatthaman and addressed him,
"Behold the mail-clad Karna engaged with all hostile forces!
Behold, the hostile army routed by Karna's arrows!
Overwhelmed, just like the Asura army by the might of Kartikeya in the days past.
But look, seeing his army vanquished by the gifted Karna,
There comes Vibhatsu (Arjuna) from the desire of slaying the Suta's son.
So let us take such steps as to protect Karna from being killed in our very presence."
Thus addressed, Drona's son, and Kripa and Salya, and the son of Hridika,
Rushed to protect the flanks of Karna's chariot as Vibhatsu, surrounded by the Panchala warriors,
Advanced against Karna, like Purandra proceeding against Vritra, at the beginning of the world.

Beholding the son of Pandu rushing towards him,
Like an elephant in fury towards his rival,
Karna fearlessly advanced against Dhananjaya.
Partha, however, soon covered Karna with showers of straight shafts.
A furious duel began, to the wonder of all combatants,
But then Arjuna, seeing Karna's prowess, quickly cut the latter's bow at the handle.
And he also dispatched his four steeds to the abode of Death with a number of broad-headed shafts.
And Arjuna, the scorcher of all foes, cut of the head of Karna's driver from his unfortunate body.
Then Karna, made carless, weaponless and driver-less was pierced by Arjuna with four straight shafts.
Karna, deeply afflicted by those arrows, jumped out of his steedless car and mounted Kripa's chariot.
Beholding the son of Radha vanquished, your warriors, O King, fled away in all directions,
Starting a general rout in the Kaurava army.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This (to my count) is the third time Karna had faced Arjuna in the War, and each time he lost as quickly. Arjuna became too overconfident and was taken by surprise when Karna fought out of his skin in the last day of the Karna parva (as Krishna and Yudhisthira warned Arjuna that he would.)

Kelly of the Phoenix

Though having the most unfair fate of all characters in Mahabharata
Well, I'd argue the most unfair out of all the main characters. Mountains of redshirts died just because two sets of cousins couldn't get along.

After the reveal about his heritage, I had major feels for him. I tend to relate more closely to Draupadi, but Karna is a close second.

Chakra

Premium Member
Karna had apparently also defeated the other 4 brothers-but let them live. He's definitely a good role model, but it's too bad that he chose to align with Duryodhana.

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

Karna had apparently also defeated the other 4 brothers-but let them live. He's definitely a good role model, but its too bad that he chose to align with Duryodhana.

Duryodhana was the only one that treated him with love and respect.
Everyone else including the pandavas mocked him.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Vidhura yes... Krishna, not sure.
Often while fighting Krishna would kill charioteers like he did with Paundraka.
You have read the Bhagavad Gita yes? Then you should remember the part in the Gita why Arjuna should fight. Lord Krishna is on the Pandavas side, and so helps them. Death is not final for the killed.

Chakra

Premium Member
Vidhura yes... Krishna, not sure.
Often while fighting Krishna would kill charioteers like he did with Paundraka.
Which is why I quoted moral as the meaning depends on who you ask. In the Gita, Krishna already says that everyone is destined to die in this war.

Also, I don't recall any incident in which Krishna killed anyone (though he did use some shady tactics), but I'd be interested to hear some.

Subhankar Zac

You have read the Bhagavad Gita yes? Then you should remember the part in the Gita why Arjuna should fight. Lord Krishna is on the Pandavas side, and so helps them. Death is not final for the killed.

But killing a weaponless and weaker person is against Dharma.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is why I quoted moral as the meaning depends on who you ask. In the Gita, Krishna already says that everyone is destined to die in this war.

Also, I don't recall any incident in which Krishna killed anyone (though he did use some shady tactics), but I'd be interested to hear some.
Pragmatism is Lord Krishna's middle name. I don't remember who he killed. I think Karna.

Chakra

Premium Member
I apologise i forgot his name, but i remember reading that someone was fixing his chariot wheel, and Lord Krishna killed him with his chakra.
That was Arjun who killed Karna, at the advice of Krishna.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
But killing a weaponless and weaker person is against Dharma.
Weak? no. They are all warriors. And the Kauravas chose to fight them. And so it is Dharma to protect themselves. Imagine if Lord Krishna was not there. Catastrophe.