• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Survey] What do you believe in?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I have a lot of pity for survey-writers in religion, having taken that particular plunge myself. It's not just that your language must be neutral, it must also be comprehensible; it can seem quite impossible to achieve both goals at once, since most people naturally rely heavily on their own religious structures in thinking and talking about their religious life.

Some feedback:
In English, it is best to avoid asking negative questions such as "I generally don’t depend on my feelings to help me make decisions."; it tends to cause confusion, since this is an unusual construction; if the survey were a conversation, the most grammatically correct response to a negative proposition is "me neither", not "I strongly agree". "I generally depend on my feelings to help me make decisions" gets you the same information with less confusion.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I have a lot of pity for survey-writers in religion, having taken that particular plunge myself. It's not just that your language must be neutral, it must also be comprehensible; it can seem quite impossible to achieve both goals at once, since most people naturally rely heavily on their own religious structures in thinking and talking about their religious life.
Very true.

Nurion

Some feedback:
In English, it is best to avoid asking negative questions such as "I generally don’t depend on my feelings to help me make decisions."; it tends to cause confusion, since this is an unusual construction; if the survey were a conversation, the most grammatically correct response to a negative proposition is "me neither", not "I strongly agree". "I generally depend on my feelings to help me make decisions" gets you the same information with less confusion.
Although true, if every option were positive, your results would be skewed, since people generally have a tendency to agree with what your saying. Therefore, if you would not put in a couple of items that ask a negative question, your results would be biased.
I know that makes it odd to answer some items, but that's just how it works. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah well, I knew that this was going to be the case, unfortunately since this is a bachelor's thesis I have to build on existing literature, so the wording is inappropriate to adress people of all beliefs in some regards.

I figured that you were using a metric designed by previous scholars. I'd be interested in seeing a citation for that so I can look it up.

On the whole, it was pretty darned professional for bachelor's level. Kudos! If I had to bet, I'd wager you're an honors student of some flavor... or if you're not, you probably should be. :D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I figured that you were using a metric designed by previous scholars. I'd be interested in seeing a citation for that so I can look it up.

On the whole, it was pretty darned professional for bachelor's level. Kudos! If I had to bet, I'd wager you're an honors student of some flavor... or if you're not, you probably should be. :D
I'd also like to see that. You can always blame the earlier studies for the problems of question grammar, etc., since to be comparable you have to use their wording.:D

Nurion

Do you believe that it will be possible someday to research supernatural phenomena scientifically, or will religion and the paranormal be forever shrouded in mystery?

Nurion

Is this a multiple choice survey?

Sorry, I only saw your post today. It's a survey that gives you 5 choices to answer from, going from not true or i do not agree to true or i completely agree for most of the survey. But if your question is whether you have to write an answer somewhere, then the answer is no.

Nurion

Sorry I've been quiet recently. I've been busy writing. But I'll be looking to be back more for discussions once I finished on the thesis. :)
I'm halfway done writing now, and I'll start calculating probably in a couple of days, and be able to present results in maybe 2 weeks.
Preliminary analysis showed that I have a heavy skew toward sceptics, so I'm in need of some more of you helpful RF people. If any of you could be interested in taking part in the study, that'd be awesome.
Thanks a lot!

ThirtyThree

9ce7dcf.png

I took the survay and here are my answers regarding the conspiracy theories. I do not believe in such nonsense.

Furthermore, when I consider conspiracy theories, this comes to mind:

Last edited:

Nurion

Took it today, and feel @Quintessence and @beenherebeforeagain's frustrations. I left some feedback, which I definitely hope will help you better interpret some of my responses.

I can relate to that. :) If it had been up to me, I'd have posed some questions differently, especially in the religious orientation section. But I had to use preexisting scales as the foundation of this study.
Maybe I can bring your thoughts and those of the others in on a future survey.

Nurion

I took the survay and here are my answers regarding the conspiracy theories. I do not believe in such nonsense.
I had a good long laugh at that video. :D
Thanks for participating. I do have to tell you that though not every conspiracy theory is pure nonsense. Sure, some are pretty far out there, others such as the Watergate scandal turned out to be real.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People conspire. It's what we do. It's what distinguishes us from the rest of the animal world.
Conspiracy is just a synonym for "plan."

Nurion

People conspire. It's what we do. It's what distinguishes us from the rest of the animal world.
Conspiracy is just a synonym for "plan."
Sure, but conspiracy theories are different, since they assume a malevolent secret agency is influencing the world on a grand scale. If you simply say people conspire, then bankrobbers are doing conspiracies all the time by trying to make a plan to rob a bank.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sure, but conspiracy theories are different, since they assume a malevolent secret agency is influencing the world on a grand scale. If you simply say people conspire, then bankrobbers are doing conspiracies all the time by trying to make a plan to rob a bank.
In fact, people who commit premeditated crimes (such as bank robberies) are often charged with conspiracy.

Nurion

True, but these conspiracies do not require any form of belief to be true.

"Me and a few friends conspire to surprise my girlfriend on her birthday."
"Bankrobbers conspired to rob a bank."
are starkly different from
"Chemtrails are employed to control people".
"Alien abductions happen but are kept a secret.

Don't you think?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Republican leaders conspire in the caucus room to undermine US Government.

That one's real.