• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Survey: Jews and Atheists Have More Religious Knowledge Than Christians"

Skwim

Veteran Member

Which comes as no surprise. Anyway . . . .

"When it comes to basic knowledge about what different religions teach, Jews and atheists know more than every kind of Christian.

That’s the bottom line in a new survey from the Pew Research Center, which asked 32 questions testing everyone’s religious knowledge. (You can take the quiz right right here.)

Let’s discuss the results, then get into what the heck is going on here.

Only 9% of people got a score higher than 75% — which doesn’t sound all that impressive — but Jews, atheists, and agnostics fared better than Christians overall.

ReligiousPew72019-313x1024.png

None of those scores are worth bragging about. We’re a nation of religious people who know nothing about religion.

Still. It’s telling that the people who reject the most popular brand of religion in the country are the ones who know more facts about faith. (For what it’s worth, atheists knew more than agnostics, and agnostics knew more than “Nones” in general. Why do historically black Protestants score much lower than everyone else? Arguably because their churches often focus on applying religious principles to social issues rather than focusing on individual stories.)

Some of the results, you could have predicted. In general, college graduates knew more than people who didn’t finish high school. Christians who attended a ton of Sunday school knew more about Christianity than those who never went. People who have friends of different religions know more than people who live in a religious bubble. Most Americans know specifics about Christianity but only the basics about other religions. They are familiar with what atheism means. They also greatly overestimate the percentage of Jews and Muslims that live in the U.S.

None of that is surprising.

Here’s an interesting tidbit, though: It turns out the higher you scored on the quiz, the more “warmly” you felt about nearly every group, including Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, and atheists. The more you understand about religions as a whole, it seems, the higher opinion you have of certain belief systems.

But there was one exception.

The people who aced the exam had a much lower opinion of evangelical Christians compared to the ones who royally flunked it."
source

FWIW: I, an agnostic, took the test and got 80% correct.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting it basically mirrors the results when this was done previously.
I got all 15 correct.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I see now. The linked quiz is a sample of the original one. I somehow missed that.

In any case, if the given 15 are of any indication the rest of it is likely to be quite elementary.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
None of those scores are worth bragging about. We’re a nation of religious people who know nothing about religion.
I'm not really sure that this is a fair statement (I know it's not yours, but the source you're quoting it from). I'm not being defensive here, as I got all 15 right. But I think the sentiments are wrong. Melting pot expectations weren't met. America isn't a nation of one generic religion. It's a nation of a bunch of separate religions. I don't have statistics, but lots of people live in enclaves of their own type.

Personally, even having grown up in NY, I don't even think I knew that there were different denominations of Christians until I was in my 20's, let alone Muslims. And I know that it's not just OJ's that tend to segregate, in the area of Brooklyn that I grew up, you could find store signs in Russian along Kings Highway, Pakistanis along the early-middle blocks of Coney Island, Mexicans along the later blocks, etc.

The Melting Pot is dead! Long live the Salad Bowl!

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I took the test and scored about an 80%.....

I think Americans in this case Christians are rather particularly ignorant about other faiths. But I also think this study is only representative of the certain education level of religious observers. As you can see per your link, the more educated you are the higher the score (it was 9.5 for college graduates out of 15) on average. I'm sure if we tested Christians who went to a four year university I'm sure they'll scale higher. It just depends on the population and the sample size.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't have statistics, but lots of people live in enclaves of their own type.

This is a very important comment because I had the same sentiments exactly. I think when you're surrounded by others of the same faith and practice the same cultural traditions and aren't privy to anything outside that circle you aren't going to be knowledgeable beyond your own community.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I got them all right but semi-guessed on one. There were more Judeo-Christian oriented questions than that for other religions so theoretically Christians would should have scored higher.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The people who aced the exam had a much lower opinion of evangelical Christians compared to the ones who royally flunked it."

Screenshot_20190724-025206_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not bad for an Appalachian American. ;)

I missed the Jewish Sabbath I said Saturday, the quiz says Friday, and I missed the question about Catholic communion i said it was symbolic of the body of Christ, quiz says It is consuming THE body of Christ which I knew, even had a debate with a Catholic here once about. But I still see it as symbolic so meh.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I missed the Jewish Sabbath I said Saturday, the quiz says Friday,
Don't feel bad. I almost got that one wrong too. I noticed that it asked when the Jewish Sabbath starts, not when it is. Technically, we start it on Friday from both a non-Jewish (Friday ends 12:00 AM, long after sunset) and Jewish perspective (the custom is to start it at least 18 minutes before sunset, so that's 18 minutes before the Seventh Day).

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Don't feel bad. I almost got that one wrong too. I noticed that it asked when the Jewish Sabbath starts, not when it is. Technically, we start it on Friday from both a non-Jewish (Friday ends 12:00 AM, long after sunset) and Jewish perspective (the custom is to start it at least 18 minutes before sunset, so that's 18 minutes before the Seventh Day).

Ah nice to know. Now that's a nuance I had no idea about thanks!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
"You answered 14 questions correctly."

I got one about Christianity wrong lol.

I also would have said Friday for the Shabbat.

Ellen Brown

It might be beneficial when the pinch comes to not know much about, or subscribe to any known organized religion? Perhaps who look upon the popular choices with disdain will be most pleasing to whoever shows up to redeem a world bent on destroying its self?