• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surrounding field

Ostronomos

Faraday developed the idea that light was a wave in the fields of space so he did away with the need for the ether. Then Maxwell united the electric and magnetic fields into a single field.

The field which Einstein so desperately tried to discover was the unified field or universal consciousness which he unaware of but did not reject as a possibility. This field is a Quantum field that ties the subjective world within with the objective world without.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Faraday developed the idea that light was a wave in the fields of space so he did away with the need for the ether. Then Maxwell united the electric and magnetic fields into a single field.

This is historically inaccurate. Those fields were considered to be distortions in the ether. and, in fact, Maxwell's equations were regarded as describing the mechanical properties of that ether (its stiffness, for example).

It took Einstein to do away with the ether and say the fields exist independently of any material for them to distort.

The field which Einstein so desperately tried to discover was the unified field or universal consciousness which he unaware of but did not reject as a possibility. This field is a Quantum field that ties the subjective world within with the objective world without.

Einstein wasn't looking for a universal consciousness. We was looking for a unified treatment of quantum theory and gravity that was classical in structure. That turns out to be impossible. Instead, we need quantum field theories.

Consciousness isn't related to this at all.

Ostronomos

Although you are correct about Einstein's role in eliminating the need for the ether, I thought it was Faraday who discovered that fields replaced the ether. I could be wrong.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Although you are correct about Einstein's role in eliminating the need for the ether, I thought it was Faraday who discovered that fields replaced the ether. I could be wrong.

Faraday did originate the field concept. But the fields were seen as distortions of the ether. And in fact, Maxwell's equations were seen as confirming the ether theory. Light was seen as a vibration in the ether with the speed of light showing the ether to be incredibly stiff. Remember that light was not recognized as an electromagnetic vibration until Maxwell.

This caused problems, though, because the stiffness of the ether didn't seem to allow planets to move through it easily.

I actually have a physics book written in 1890 that describes the ether as the most definitive conclusion of science at the time. In just 15 years, that would be overthrown.