• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surrender to God for Contentment

Shantanu

I have been asked if I would repost the following in the General Religious Debates Section by @Thief.
I am happy to do that.

I was following a thread some weeks ago on contentment. I think it was initiated by Fireside_Hindu although I cannot remember. I have been thinking a lot about that since: what is contentment and what is its use and how it can be derived. Today I can shed some light on this issue.

Contentment is needed for peace of mind, to then live peacefully and free of worries. The Buddhists want to tell us how to relieve stress (dukha). Maybe their way works. May be it does not, I do not know. But the idea of the importance of contentment cannot be diminished. The mind needs to be still. That can only come from contentment. Can meditation help? Let us think about this.

We live in a complex world with wordly interactions. If we were monks and hermits we would cut ourselves off from the world and so minimise dukha to the mind. That is not possible if we are married and bring up children for which we need a source of income. This forces us to get educated and skilled. All these works requires an active mind coping with problems and disappointments as we struggle to survive. So in that situation how can we get contentment? We need to know the truth and face reality as we live. Meditation cannot erase all the complex interactions that one needs to engage in when living in a complex world.

This brings me to what is the single most important thing one could do to derive contentment in our complex lives. It brings me to God.

God resides in our mind and bodies and everywhere else. If only we surrender to Him does this magic reveal itself. The magic that He is the doer and is in control of everything.

When we surrender to God, all our delusions get sorted out and the path ahead for us is charted out for us. It is the path of truth: satyaadvaita or truth accommodation that I practice. Through it we find contentment: content with ourselves and our lot. Content with the world we live in.

Thus, the answer to deriving contentment is to chart a path that accepts that God is all important and knows what is best for us which each and everyone of us can access if we surrendered to Him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thus, the answer to deriving contentment is to chart a path that accepts that God is all important and knows what is best for us which each and everyone of us can access if we surrendered to Him.
This is pretty banal and presumptuous rhetoric.

Shantanu

Keeping in mind that contentment ought not to be confused with complacency.
Indeed, we need to be continually and actively pursuing our goals of truth and fighting for justice as the essentials of Hindu 'dharma'; then only does God come to one's mind to aid the downtrodden and oppressed following these high ethics.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is dependent on the aforegoing arguments.
No, it is not. So - just to belabor an obvious point - the history of the world is littered with very intelligent and very sincere, anguished theists who 'surrendered' themselves to their God. Was their failure to achieve contentment somehow their fault? For them, the OP's empty drivel amounts to little more than a thoughtless yet arrogant instance of blaming the victim.

And this is but one of the problems with your post.

pearl

We live in a complex world with wordly interactions. If we were monks and hermits we would cut ourselves off from the world and so minimise dukha to the mind. That is not possible if we are married and bring up children for which we need a source of income. This forces us to get educated and skilled. All these works requires an active mind coping with problems and disappointments as we struggle to survive. So in that situation how can we get contentment? We need to know the truth and face reality as we live. Meditation cannot erase all the complex interactions that one needs to engage in when living in a complex world.

A from a Jesuit and author of 'Sadhana' which I turn to often;
A Jesuit approached a Hindu guru for initiation in the art of prayer. The guru advised, "The air you breathe is God. You are breathing God in and out. Become aware and stay with that awareness.

He found a depth and satisfaction (contentment?) and spiritual nourishment not found in the many, many hours of devoted prayer over a period of many years.

Shantanu

No, it is not. So - just to belabor an obvious point - the history of the world is littered with very intelligent and very sincere, anguished theists who 'surrendered' themselves to their God. Was their failure to achieve contentment somehow their fault? For them, the OP's empty drivel amounts to little more than a thoughtless yet arrogant instance of blaming the victim.

And this is but one of the problems with your post.
Of course it was their fault for relying on holy books to guide them to their Gods or creating a God of their imagination without thorough scrutiny and checking on the reality of how God works through humanity. It takes donkeys years to realise God, it cannot be done through following scriptures and giving oneself the label of a particular religion.

Shantanu

A from a Jesuit and author of 'Sadhana' which I turn to often;
A Jesuit approached a Hindu guru for initiation in the art of prayer. The guru advised, "The air you breathe is God. You are breathing God in and out. Become aware and stay with that awareness.

He found a depth and satisfaction (contentment?) and spiritual nourishment not found in the many, many hours of devoted prayer over a period of many years.
The air one breathes is not all of God, God as a Personal God works through ones mind by guiding one with the right thoughts with which to survive in dignity.

Shantanu

^ yep; vulgar, arrogant drivel.
The arrogant are those who want to be leaders of people, whether from the pulpit, as a ruler, or other forms of domination that are available including at Forums where they want to shout down dissenting opinions and views.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have been asked if I would repost the following in the General Religious Debates Section by @Thief.
I am happy to do that.

I was following a thread some weeks ago on contentment. I think it was initiated by Fireside_Hindu although I cannot remember. I have been thinking a lot about that since: what is contentment and what is its use and how it can be derived. Today I can shed some light on this issue.

Contentment is needed for peace of mind, to then live peacefully and free of worries. The Buddhists want to tell us how to relieve stress (dukha). Maybe their way works. May be it does not, I do not know. But the idea of the importance of contentment cannot be diminished. The mind needs to be still. That can only come from contentment. Can meditation help? Let us think about this.

This brings me to what is the single most important thing one could do to derive contentment in our complex lives. It brings me to God.

God resides in our mind and bodies and everywhere else. If only we surrender to Him does this magic reveal itself. The magic that He is the doer and is in control of everything.

When we surrender to God, all our delusions get sorted out and the path ahead for us is charted out for us. It is the path of truth: satyaadvaita or truth accommodation that I practice. Through it we find contentment: content with ourselves and our lot. Content with the world we live in.

People find contentment in many things.

Shantanu

I really didn't think you would take that literally. but to allow God to fill the mind.
In life one must do what one can to chart ones path forward and hope by surrender to God that He approves of what is being done. In this mode God will Himself impart thoughts to the mind.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am happy to do that.

Contentment is needed for peace of mind, to then live peacefully and free of worries. Can meditation help? Let us think about this.

I don't believe in magic
I believe in cause and effect

to be content.....to be at peace....
peace must be enforced
I believe the peace of heaven is guarded

after the last breath, God and heaven come to see what stands from the dust
if you have what it takes to follow.....fine.....good

if not....you will be left standing wherever you fell

I believe we end up alongside others who think and feel as we do

How else to be happy?
How else to be fair?

can you be content with others like yourself?

A man of substance does not have substance; substance is what he is.
Sub=beneath. Stance=orientation-to.
Substance to God: Humility.
A man of substance is correctly oriented towards God.

Shantanu

I don't believe in magic
I believe in cause and effect

to be content.....to be at peace....
peace must be enforced
I believe the peace of heaven is guarded

after the last breath, God and heaven come to see what stands from the dust
if you have what it takes to follow.....fine.....good

if not....you will be left standing wherever you fell

I believe we end up alongside others who think and feel as we do

How else to be happy?
How else to be fair?

can you be content with others like yourself?
Peace is not desirable at any cost. We need to target evil doers who suppress truth and justice.