• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surely the world we live in proves there is no [loving] God.

suzy smith

Life is for having fun
I bumped into a Plymouth Brethren the other day. Now I am not singling out that particular religion but the conversation highlighted a problem I have always had about the God of the bible.
I asked him “why would a loving God create smallpox for example, or river blindness [Onchocerciasis] or Malaria” and so on. His answer was ‘to test mankind’ ?

Surely the world we see around us proves behind all doubt whatsoever that if there is an intelligent creator he is not the loving God that the Christians believe in?

Sees

Dragonslayer
You have to add all the Omni qualities along with it to really attack the idea. As well as assume that it's the being/entity/thing/whatever's desire to focus on this earth in this universe and interfere or micro-manage or create the easiest, most pleasant adventure-game and so on.

Endless things one could cook up.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I bumped into a Plymouth Brethren the other day. Now I am not singling out that particular religion but the conversation highlighted a problem I have always had about the God of the bible.
I asked him “why would a loving God create smallpox for example, or river blindness [Onchocerciasis] or Malaria” and so on. His answer was ‘to test mankind’ ?

Surely the world we see around us proves behind all doubt whatsoever that if there is an intelligent creator he is not the loving God that the Christians believe in?

Diseases are not created by God....they are products of the environment. If we dont manage the environment well, things can get out of control.

think about what caused the 'black plague' for example.... it was an infestation of rats. How did there come to be such an infestation? The authorities killed all the cats and so the rats had no predator and overpopulated the cities and the fleas they carried sparked a plague.

God doesnt have to create diseases... we create them by mismanaging the environment and through unhygienic practices like bathing in our sewage.

Really, the world we see around us is what we get for being independent of God and trying to manage the earth he created.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
For what it is worth, I agree with the OP.

I'm willing to agree with it to the extent that God is seen as some progenitor (or derivative) of man.

If God made man in his image, he's obviously partly man. If not, human concerns for safety and meaning might fail to apply.

Not this:

Murder of Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the theists are right, then there weren't 38 people who watched her murder and did nothing; there were 39.
Indeed, but is an inhuman being's concept of love relatable to a human's?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why would a God in the Abrahamic mold create humanity with a sense of justice at odds with his own?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Only if we are to assume he desired humans to think like him.

Very rarely does this seem to pan out in scripture.

I beg to differ. If the Bible is to be taken at all seriously, he must have such a desire.

It is a head-scratcher for me that many people claim to believe in the God of the Bible's literal existence despite that easily verifiable fact. It has always been, far as I remembr.

suzy smith

Life is for having fun
Really, the world we see around us is what we get for being independent of God and trying to manage the earth he created.

Onchocerciasis (river blindness] is a parasitic worm. It can only survive by doing what it does. So why did God create it?

Most life forms on this earth are born into stress and danger. They spend their entire life looking for food so as not to starve to death and trying not to be violently killed by a predator.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It seems quite incredulous to me that Christians would claim that "god is love" when it's quite obvious this isn't the case. IMO, it's an ideal they'd like to be real, because, quite frankly, the world sucks, and it's probably a comforting thought to have that there's something out there, bigger than anything else, who's in control of everything, and ultimately loves us. Too bad it's not real.

Or perhaps it was the agents of the enemy who created these dis-eases? The problem I have with atheists, unlike agnostics, is that they are just as dogmatic as the orthodox religions of the world. All these groups think they own all the answers. The arrogance is astonishing and atheists are just as guilty.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Or perhaps it was the agents of the enemy who created these dis-eases? The problem I have with atheists, unlike agnostics, is that they are just as dogmatic as the orthodox religions of the world. All these groups think they own all the answers. The arrogance is astonishing and atheists are just as guilty.

So, your answer amounts to "Satan did it, and atheists are doo-doo heads"?

What about the fact that Satan can do nothing without God's permission (Book of Job)?

Oh, and:

atheists.png

suzy smith

Life is for having fun

That would be true of me if I did not keep a open mind. But then you would probably say I don't. Arrogance, or the love of the facts over superstition?

Last edited: