• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court strikes down New York law for license to carry guns

F1fan

Veteran Member
The Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN a New York gun-control law that required people to show "proper cause" to get a license to carry a concealed handgun outside the home. The vote is 6-3.

The New York mayor has had a press conference saying this is a serious blow to gun safety in New York, and she will work to help maintain regulations to manage the number of guns in public.

The decisions says the 2nd amendment gives people the right to carry guns outside their home.

What effects will this cause to communities in regards to safety from gun violence?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The consequences, intended and otherwise, will cascade across the country like some Uvalde-Be-Damned wind storm.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So NY has joined the more advanced states (eg, MI)
in becoming a "shall issue" state. They still have
the ability to regulate in other useful ways...they
just must be constitutional.
Such an inconvenient document it is...all these
inconvenient rights, eg, the right to utter offensive
things, the right against warrantless searches.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If the SCOTUS is making such decisions, then why do we have to go through a metal detector and can't bring a gun into their chambers or anywhere else on their premises? And why can't we bring guns into the buildings that congress uses?

Gee, it seems to me like a wee bit of a double-standard. :rolleyes:

Heyo

Veteran Member
The Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN a New York gun-control law that required people to show "proper cause" to get a license to carry a concealed handgun outside the home. The vote is 6-3.

The New York mayor has had a press conference saying this is a serious blow to gun safety in New York, and she will work to help maintain regulations to manage the number of guns in public.

The decisions says the 2nd amendment gives people the right to carry guns outside their home.

What effects will this cause to communities in regards to safety from gun violence?
Against abortion, pro guns ... It could be just a coincidence, the cases not related and possibly have been decided the same by a more unbiased SCotUS but I have a suspicion some people want to tell the US public who really makes the rules now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the SCOTUS is making such decisions, then why do we have to go through a metal detector and can't bring a gun into their chambers or anywhere else on their premises? And why can't we bring guns into the buildings that congress uses?

Government has the right under the Constitution to
limit activities in some areas when there's good reason.
This applies to speech & the right to record, for example.
What one can do in front of a courthouse will differ from
what one can do inside the courtroom.
There is much settled case law on this, & it's widely known.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems that the NRA has bought the SCOTUS.
Or they ruled according to the Constitution.
But it didn't go your way, so perhaps you seek
refuge in a conspiracy by your enemies?

Ya know....it's so entertaining when the left
accuses the right of wallowing in conspiracy
theories. But the left so loves their own.

RestlessSoul

So NY has joined the more advanced states (eg, MI)
in becoming a "shall issue" state. They still have
the ability to regulate in other useful ways...they
just must be constitutional.
Such an inconvenient document it is...all these
inconvenient rights, eg, the right to utter offensive
things, the right against warrantless searches.

The right to arm bears is so obviously irrational though.

RestlessSoul

It seems so to those who believe that.
But this originates in eschewing understanding the other side.

No room for common sense on your side then, or do you just have a different definition thereof? Surely some truths are self evident?

It must surely count as a truism, that if you have an armed populace walking around with firearms, quite a lot of shootings will occur - human nature being what it is?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No room for common sense on your side...
I'll stop you there. It must be addressed.

Of all the proposals for gun control I've made
on RF on behalf of my side, you find none to
have common sense?
Please elaborate why regarding each one.

esmith

Veteran Member
All it did was to make the playing field level in the State of New York.
New York is a "may issue" State where the majority of States are "shall issue"
In New York if you were well connected you would have not problem being issued a concealed carry permit, the average person probably could not.
Nothing says that New York can not perscribe certain requirements, other than what they were doing.
Idaho is a open carry, concealed carry without permit state.
However if I desire to carry in another state I must have an enhanced permit that is acceptable to another state, say Oregon which is a shall issue state and obtain a Oregon concealed carry permit (note only States that border Oregon qualify)
To qualify for an enhanced carry permit I have to have 1 day of classroom study and 1 day on the fireing range showing comptence with my handgun of choice.
Nothing says New York could not implement the same requirments.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member

That’s not how constitutional rights work.