• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court has banned abortions

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Show me one. You need to show that a person that had massive brain damage, a brain that had no EEG activity came back from a vegetative state.

Schiavo_catscan.jpg

The brain on the right was Teri's. The one on the left shows a normal brain. The dark areas are liquid. It looks like Teri's brain was all but nonexistent by the time they pulled her feeding tube.

I had to be part of the same sort of decision for my father. He did have a living will, but he had an accident. He did survive, but he had severe brain damage as a result. Since it was violated the family could have decided to insert a feeding tube when he could no longer swallow. But we decided to follow his original wishes and let nature take its course. He did not want to be hooked up to all sorts of life support. It was very sad to see him continually lose abilities over ten years. I supplemented his care at a nursing home and often asked him if he was happy and while he could he usually answered yes. I can understand why Michael Schiavo fought for his wife's right to die. And I can understand why her parents opposed it. From personal experience I can see that Michael was right.
We had to go through something very similar with my father. His brain looked pretty much like the one on the right at the time we decided to turn off the machines because he would have had zero quality of life and he never, ever would have wanted to "live" like that. Basically, we realized he was already dead. Not an easy decision, but the right one.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
My father in law was allowed to starve to death. It was a horrible decision made under duress...he likely could have recovered but his wife didn't understand that was a possibility. Some people can't be reasoned with, but if it had been my decision I would have asked them to try and operate.
If his brain looked like the one on the right, he wasn't going to recover.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It was an injury, not a hopeless case, from what I've been told. He was aware of certain things right up till almost the end.
In my father's case, his brain was almost completely gone, like in the scan on the right, and what little was left of it, was deteriorating rapidly. So it was pretty clear-cut in his case that he wasn't going to make it. Even still, my uncle believed my father would wake up and be just fine and dandy if he only prayed over him.